Brad Nelson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad Nelson

I saw Brad at the women's basketball game on Friday. He is still undergoing treatment, but seemed to be in very good spirits. He also mentioned he would be on the Jackrabbit Report today. I will be listening at 5:00.

Re: Brad Nelson

Excuse me if I missed something, but what is Brad being treated for? I've heard before that he is ill but have no idea what he suffers from. I certainly wish him the best. He was a great QB and apparently still follows the Jacks.
    This space for lease.

Comment

i believe testicular cancer is what his health issue is. i think thats what steve and jerry said on the radio before one of the games this year.

Comment

Uh, kind of close, but not quite.

What I learned from the Jackrabbit report:

It is Lymphoma, I don't recall which type, but it is a fast spreading type. They caught it early after it started and they are hopefull for a full recovery. He still has some "maintenence" Chemo to go through, but sounded in good spirits.

Comment

Here is a link to the previous posts regarding Brad.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...1239;start=4#4

My understanding is that he has lymphoblastic lymphoma.  Lymphoblastic lymphoma (precusor-ALL) comes in 2 varieties, B-cell and T-cell.  I'm curious to know which Brad has.  Prognosis is variable and the chemotherapy is rough.

Glad to hear he is tolerating treatment well.  I hope he has found remission.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Just read in the latest issue of "State" magazine that lymphoma was what took Bob Sheldon's life back in 1962. In Brad's interview he said it's one of the fastest growing cancer's and they were lucky to catch it in the 1st 2 or 3 weeks. Bob Sheldon fell ill in Oct/Nov of '61 and died in April of '62. Glad to hear Brad seems to be recovering well.

Comment

Bob Shelden as I recall had Hodgkins Disease. I have chated with Jackmd off the board about this. I have discussed this with the alumni director VJ Smith, and I was told I was correct about the Hodgkins disease, but maybe it should have appeared that way in the State story about the 1963 team. Its hard to be 100 per cent accurate and maybe its not that far off in terminalogy.

I will say the STATE issue was a great one, and it should encourage more alums to buy the book on College on the Hill.

These maladies are very close as I recall. The medicine field has made a number of improvements in treating these diseases since 1962. I got to know Bob Shelden in 1953 when I moved to Brookings and finished the six grade. Everything that Bob was part of was a sucess. My last contact with Bob was an Oral communication class in the fall of 1961. He even got to critique a few of my Oral Communiocation speeches that fall term. This was just before he got ill. As the story states he did pass away in April of 1962. He also was very close to Jim Marking since Marking was coaching the Watertown Arrows when Bob Shelden was leading the Brookings Bobcats. Those were the days.

Comment

Working...
              X