Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Utah isn't a "counter?"

http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs...603180334/1006
    Scheduling has been a headache for Beazer since he took over in January. The Thunderbirds were dropped by UNLV, Northern Arizona and Idaho State, and Division I-A schools have backed off after initial offers of six-digit money guarantees.
    "I've had no less than a dozen Division I-A teams call me, even as recently as (Friday) morning, asking me if we would come play them," Beazer said. "When I informed them that we're not a counter, they backed off."

A "counter" is a term used to describe whether I-A teams can count a game against a I-AA squad toward a bowl berth. According to NCAA bylaws, a I-AA team is a counter only if it averages 90 percent of the permissible scholarship equivalencies.

Teams at the I-AA level are allowed a maximum number of 63 equivalencies, meaning the T-Birds would have to average 57 over a rolling two-year period.

"To give you an idea of where Southern Utah is right now, this last year we were at 62 percent of equivalencies," Beazer said.

That gap equates to a minimum of $125,000, which Beazer said he has promised football coach Wes Meier he would raise by June. Beazer said he was halfway to that goal. He hopes to make SUU a counter by 2008.

"It's a huge sum of money that we're having to raise to do this," Beazer said. "But we've got to do this. It just makes sense."
    No wonder the Big Sky hasn't wanted any part of Southern Utah.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Southern Utah isn't a "counter?"

Based on the AGS info, it appears that SDSU, and especially NDSU are closer to being a counter than SUU.

Comment

NDSU is a counter. It was annunced in Fargo tonight that we will be playing the Gophers on Oct 21 at the Metrodome. We took their offer for this years game but are getting a bump for the 2007 game.
      www.bisonsports.net

www.gobison.com

Comment

We need to get to the 57 scholarships needed to become a counter and fast. That kind of exposure and money would be a big boost to the schools reputation and pocketbook. Not to mention that it may help rally a few boosters and casual fans to our side.

Comment

I agree. You can pay for the extra shcollies twice over with one game.
          www.bisonsports.net

www.gobison.com

Comment

Working...
          X