NDSU V. GOPHERS IN 06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU V. GOPHERS IN 06

Here's a link to a thread on the Bison message board re: Playing the Gophers October 21 in the Dome.
    They're saying its a $300,000 guarantee.

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...3119;start=0#0

Re: NDSU V. GOPHERS IN 06

NDSU was holding out for more but decided it was worth the 300K. JBB says they will get a bump in 2007 and I hope they do. If we are at 50 this year and get to 63 next year do they round up to an average of 57?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think that we will be at 51 this year. Then if we go to 63 we will average 57. Go State!!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKRP
        I think that we will be at 51 this year. Then if we go to 63 we will average 57. Go State!!
        Sure seems most logical to be at 51 this year and 63 next. Now, is it feasible? As they say, you have to spend money to make money.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

That is why I was so surprised earlier this year to hear that we were going to be a 50 this season . . . why stop at 50 and have to wait an extra year for the money game when you could add one more and play the money game in '07 if you bumped up to 63 next season. I hope people just misspoke before and that we will be a 51 this season.

Go State! ;D

Comment

The Big reason is you have to have the money now to increase the scholarships. Also remember we then need to add an appropriate number of women scholarships to be Title IX compliant.

Comment

I do not claim to be the brightest bulb on the tree...but has does NDSU add all the fb schoolies and not add as many for women.....I know there must be an answer, but we even added a sport to keep the numbers even...

Go Jacks !!!!!!
              http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

I have honestly wondered the same thing many times...I think I even brought it up on the NDSU board and was quickly attacked about how they are title IX compliant. How could they be?

Originally posted by footballfan
                I do not claim to be the brightest bulb on the tree...but has does NDSU add all the fb schoolies and not add as many for women.....I know there must be an answer, but we even added a sport to keep the numbers even...      

Go Jacks  !!!!!!
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Title IX doesn't spell out that the number of scholarships for men and women have to be in direct proportion to the composition of the student body. It's somewhat risky, but there are other ways to try to be Title IX compliant. However, that proportionality deal is the only method guaranteed to stand up in court as far as I know. Even then, it's no guarantee that you won't get a Title IX challenge (it could be based on recruiting budgets or something like that - that's what NDSU got challenged on back in the 1980's). Of course, not being Title IX compliant doesn't mean you are going to get challenged. UND cut wrestling and added women's hockey to comply with Title IX (even after DII cut football scholarship limits in football twice). To me that would seem to indicate that before they did this, UND was out of compliance for almost two decades. You see, somebody with standing in the eyes of the court has to file a claim and if nobody does, then it's no problem - if you think like a lawyer, that is. Personally, I want to see NDSU do what is right, not what they get away with.

There are other factors at work however. NDSU has traditionally had more men than women (something like a 58% to 42% split) enrolled so that somewhat eases the transition. SDSU is at 51-49 so your "burden" is greater. NDSU is also waiting to see what conference they end up in. I don't think NDSU wants to get into a position where they add equestrian and then find out that they have to add two or more sports on top of that to meet a new conference's mandate.

Disclaimer: I have no inside information - I've never heard NDSU's strategy for Title IX compliance. This just seems like a likely scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
                    Disclaimer: I have no inside information - I've never heard NDSU's  strategy for Title IX compliance. This just seems like a likely scenario.
                    That is one big disclaimer. Only the administration at NDSU and the NCAA (maybe) know what their plan for compliance is. It my be wrong to cheat but it only hurts if you get caught.

Disclaimer: I know nothing more about NDSU and this matter except that they have added one heck of a lot of FB scholarships.

Comment

Thanks Tony.......... It is just something that I have always wondered about since we are talking about being correct on the number of schoolies we have.

Go Jacks !!!!!!
                      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

I believe compliance also has to do with facilities doesn't it? I think this might be the area that hurts us the most right now but will be fixed with the wellness addition (team rooms in women's locker room) and the equestrian facility.

Comment

It's not like the law is black and white. A school could get nailed for having a disparity in salaries, facilities, participation rates, recruiting budgets, # of full-time coaches, # of assistant coaches, # of scholarships or just about anything that pertains to the athletic department.

Increasing scholarships for women is reducing your exposure to a suit but does not eliminate all risk.

I think NDSU thought it was very important to increase revenue by getting big DI-A guarantees. Greater revenues can be used for things like taking the equestrian team to varsity status.

Edited for grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
                            It's not like the law is black and white. A school could get nailed for having a disparity in salaries, facilities, participation rates, recruiting budgets, # of full-time coaches, # of assistant coaches, # of scholarships or just about anything that pertains to the athletic department.

By increasing scholarships for women is reducing your exposure but you aren't eliminating the risk.

I think NDSU thought it was very important to increase revenue by getting big DI-A guarantees. Greater revenues can be used for things like taking the equestrian team to varsity status.
                            Very astute and logical. I'm sure the best of intentions are in place.

Comment

The paydays the Bison are getting next year for DIA games is unfortunately widening the revenue and budget gaps between the State U's even further.

Comment

Working...
                              X