Jim Langer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Langer

I debated on weather to start a new topic or revive an old one, so decide on a new topic. I was looking through the baseball media guide, when I stumbled upon the past All-Americans. I came across Jim Langer, 1969. I was really suprised to see that he was a baseball All-American.

Then I went to see if he was also a football All-American and looking through the media guide, he is not listed. It just seems strange that in college, he was awarded All-American status in baseball, not football. He obviously had more success in football after college, playing for the Dolphins and being voted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Then I got to thinking about earlier discussions that the current football coaches discourage players from competing in other sports. It appears that the coaches during Langer's time allowed him to play both baseball and football. It would have been a shame if Jim had chosen another university because the football coaches discouraged playing in two sports.

I understand that Coach Stig allowed some of the football team to play basketball this year due to injuries and suspension on the basketball team. I'm sure that these extenuating circumstances and the fact the football players would only play this year helped in getting Coach Stig's approval. I hope that new recuits are being allowed to pursue two sports if they can keep their academics up, so we don't lose great athletes and more Jim Langer's can play for State.

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I did not realize how good of a baseball player Langer must have been and was also suprised that he did not receive All-American in football.

Go State!!! ;D ;D ;D
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Re: Jim Langer

The 1960's were much different than currently in terms of the amount of time devoted to a varsity sport.  For an athlete in the 1960's to be participating in two or three sports was not uncommon. I can think of two players on the 1963 BB championship team who participated in three sports, these being Wayne Rasumussen and Doug Peterson. Both lettered in football, baseball and basketball three years. Also eligibilty was only three years back then and their was not the stats keep in terms of scholarships offered etc.

In reading Warren Williamsons book about his years of coaching at SDSU and he mentioned that in the 1960's he used to travel with Jim Iverson, the bb coach and called on athletes who participated in more than one sport. He told about a home visit to Les Joesphson, the NFL player who went to Augustana. So times have changed a great deal since then.

Also I believe another 1960's great at SDSU, Ed Maras had the distinction of being drafted  professionally in both football and baseball.  Ed and Ron Myer also participated both in baseball and football and were good athletes for their time.

Now days its seems each sport requires more off season time such as conditioning in the weight room, where as in the 1960's there were weights to be lifted but not much of the sophiscated equipment that we have now, nor were athletes required to use them like they are now.

Also it is a little ironic that Jim Langer's two sons were very good baseball players at SDSU and neither were recruited nor did they participate in football.

I not sure what the current policy is and how it applies.  But each varsity sport seems to be more demanding in terms of time during the season and off season. I think its safe to say the athletic admin as discouraged participation in more than one sport, but I don't believe its a written policy.

Comment

If you see how the year breaks down, football players just don't have time for other sports.

1. August - October football
      2. November - a bit of rest time, then weight room starts. probably 3-4 weeks. Ends at Christmas break
      3. January & February - heavy & hard weights, but only for about 8 weeks. Not alot of time to make significant gains.
      4. march - running ramps up along with weights getting ready for spring ball
      5. April - spring ball
      6. May - probably 1 week off after spring ball. then back to weights and finish classes
      7. June - heavy weights - again, not many weeks to make significant gains in the weight room.
      8. July - weights and running ramps up for fall ball
      9. August - football starts

Not many can afford to miss any part of the year for other reasons. College football is pretty much a full time job!!!

Comment

Just to echo what SDSUFan and Bisondad said . . . I think we're in an age where only the most extraordinary of athletes would really be successful playing more than one sport--especially if one of those sports is a revenue sport. The overall level of time commitment for D-I sports is so great nowadays that only the best of the best can even consider multi-sport competition.

The NCAA has loosened up on some of the rules regarding out-of-season contact between players and coaches, at least in some sports, so there is also more overlap and potential time conflict between sports than in the past. It would be tough to schedule the necessary off-season volleyball workouts while still trying to be a women's basketball player (while keeping the grades up), for instance. That's without mentioning the fact that the playing seasons themselves are overlapping more and more.

Most athletes think they are extraordinary--and they are. But only the smallest fraction of athletes truly have the skills to excel in multiple sports at the Division I level. We're really talking about athletes of the John Elway/Deion Sanders/Bo Jackson level--the kind of guys (and gals) of whom are said "they are great at anything they set their mind to."
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Bisondad
          If you see how the year breaks down, football players just don't have time for other sports.  ...
          Not many can afford to miss any part of the year for other reasons.  College football is pretty much a full time job!!!
          I respectfully disagree with the conclusion you reach. Certainly it can be a full time job but there are examples at universities across the country where great football players ARE participating in other sports. (Your name suggests you have a son or daughter participating for NDSU...compare the Bison football roster to its track roster.) This spring, watch some of the top 4 x 100 teams on the track and then look over the football rosters from those schools and you will see names common to both.

Oh well, I guess that's my favorite soapbox on this Message Board.

On the starting comment: Jim Langer. I wasn't at SDSU when Langer went through but I had always heard that Erv Huether, long-time baseball coach, made an "introduction" for Langer to the Dolphins and the rest was history. He was a guy who wanted to try pro football and he proved time and time again he was one of the best.

It may be that the demands of football make it tough to be in other sports but it can be done. And should be in some cases.

Comment

It may be that the demands of football make it tough to be in other sports but it can be done. And should be in some cases.
            They should be? Is it their duty to the school or just in case of some exceptional circumstance i.e. Jim Langer. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do believe football players here at State have been allowed to run track.

Comment

A track athlete that plays football currently that comes to mind is Jaron Harris. I know he does indoor track, during the indoor season I believe.

Comment

A couple months ago, Coach Stig said they do not recruit athletes to participate in multiple sports. However, players are allowed to participate in other sports if they keep their grades up. About five football players are on the track team, I think he said.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Since the NCC is about to fold, the Argus Leader has an article on Jim Langer and I wanted to post the article.

CANTON, Ohio - Although he seems content to stand in line like everybody else, Jim Langer is ushered by an administrator past a cluster of paying customers and into an office at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Membership has its privileges.

Minutes later, he poses for pictures next to a bronze bust that looks an awful lot like he did 20 years ago. Standing near a screen that is showing his personal highlight video, he tells stories about catching on with the Miami Dolphins. He's wearing a Hall of Fame ring that looks an awful lot like the one enclosed in glass just a few feet away.
                  And yet Langer, one of the best offensive linemen of all time, literally a central figure on the only undefeated team in NFL history, is all but anonymous to everybody inside the building not associated with South Dakota State, attracting less attention than the man wearing the Jerome Bettis jersey.

It's fitting, really, because Langer is a humble man and he played a humble position. Although he's the only North Central Conference alumnus enshrined in Canton, he didn't really even stand out in college, earning gridiron all-league honors only once - and that as a linebacker.
                  "What I remember most about him," said former Augustana player Mike Dally. "He was a baseball player."

An All-American one at that, leading the NCC in hits and ERA in 1969.

In fact, although SDSU football coach Dave Kragthorpe was responsible for teaching Langer blocking techniques that were ahead of their time, Jackrabbits baseball coach Erv Huether was responsible for gaining the attention of Cleveland Browns scout Bob Nussbaumer.
                  The undrafted Langer didn't last with the Browns, but his foot was in the door and his humongous hands were helping his cause. A lefty, Langer learned to snap the ball with his right hand, allowing him to make initial contact with his strong side.

"But I couldn't see worth a damn," he said with a smile. "Aim at the middle of the blob. It was effective."
                  The pride of Royalton, Minn., went on to be a six-time Pro Bowl selection and a member of the NFL's all-1970s team. He started 141 consecutive contests and played every offensive down during the Dolphins' undefeated 1972 season. According to the video tribute on display in Canton, new to the Hall since Langer's last visit here four years ago, he would be the first player drafted if Kansas City Chiefs' great Len Dawson were to start a franchise.

"It's a very humbling experience to go in any association with the likes of the names in this building," Langer said. "It's quite an honor. It was a great day for my family and my friends, and I was very proud to represent South Dakota State."

You can read the whole article here http://http://www.argusleader.com/ap...21/1002/SPORTS

Go State!!!
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Another that comes to mind:

Todd Bouman, a back-up qb for a number of years in the NFL, left South Dakota State University partially because he wasn't allowed to play football and basketball. He had to choose. St. Cloud State allowed him to do this. Good decision on his part! He's originally from RTR, where Burckhardt and Minette are from.

Comment

Jim had 3 sons that played baseball at State. Tracy, Craig, and Russ.

Comment

Working...
                      X