Get ready for a name change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get ready for a name change

I was reading over on the Any Given Saturday board that the NCAA has meetings coming up April 27th.  One of the many things on the agenda is a name change for NCAA football.  In the past we have had I-A and I-AA both groups are D-I, but the nomenclature tended to confuse the general sports fan.  Looks like there will be enough votes and moving forward you will have .  .  .  Division I – Bowl Championship Group and Division I – Playoff Championship Group.  

Here is a link for those who want more details:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...ead.php?t=9280

Go State!  

Re: Get ready for a name change

So, to summarize, in 2008 when we emerge from the transitional period, the Jackrabbits will be playing for:

The NCAA Division I Football Championship.

I like the ring of that . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The BCS vs. Playoff distinction is incidental. The real distinction is 85 vs. 63 scholarships. If the scholarship levels were equal, then the BCS vs. Playoff distinction would be meaningful, as teams could choose to participate in the playoffs without cutting scholarships. I don't think the public is going to buy it.

Comment

The intent of the name change is not to blur the lines between the two scholarship levels. It is to sharpen the line that all the schools that sponsor teams at either level are in fact Division I schools.

In the past too many casual fans assumed that a school with I-AA Football had I-AA squads in other sports like Basketball, Track, etc. This of course was not the case as only football has a sub-classification. By changing the name to D-I Bowl Championship Group and D-I Playoff Championship Group it is more clear to that casual fan that all the Universities involved are D-I.

Go State!  

Comment

Good stuff:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...AGN4017222.htm

Extra Point - End to I-AA nomenclature highlights likely changes
          By Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network

Philadelphia, PA - As early as the end of the week, the I-AA name will likely take its place with the dinosaurs, dodos and 8-tracks.

It will be extinct.

Do not be alarmed. Nothing changes for your alma mater or favorite school. A name change is on the way, but Division I football will still be distinguished into two groups in order to keep statistics and the action will not have any effect on governance or voting structure.

But those two groups will no longer be called I-A and I-AA football.

On Thursday, the NCAA Division I Board of Directors convenes in Indianapolis, and the recommendations to delete the use of Divisions I-A, I-AA and I-AAA will come up on the agenda. The Board of Directors will be asked to take formal action to delete the labels that are only used for football. While the I-AA name might still be technically in effect by the weekend, the use of the nomenclature that began in 1978 is fading away by the day.

The Division I-AA/I-AAA Presidential Advisory Group, which meets Wednesday, will make recommendations to the board regarding the name change and potential of a 12-game season. A public relations initiative to familiarize schools and media with the name change and enhancements for the I-AA playoffs will also be discussed.

To clarify the state of the I-AA classification and potential changes that are on the way, I’ll take you through the reasons for a change to the I-AA nomenclature, potential new names, playoff enhancements and the issues of playing 12 games and seeding eight teams that will be instrumental in the future. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

The proposal for a 12th game was defeated today. The name change was tabled until a different name is proposed. See the link below.

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=78139

Comment

I think it's the NCAA's way of appeasing I-AA fans. We're still going to be considered D-II to many fans and Bush League to the seriously uneducated.

By the way, 89, I like the change to the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Killem
                By the way, 89, I like the change to the site.

All the credit goes to Filbert. 8-)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                X