X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN CFL Article featuring "The Great One" Ranek

This link will take you to it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...p;lid=tab5pos3

He will get his chance to play in the NFL,  all of us in Jackrabbit nation are pulling for him.

Re: ESPN CFL Article featuring "The Great One" Ran

Welcome to the board i_got_a_fever and thanks for posting!

Go State!

Comment

Great article

I think in terms of quiet leadership and guts alone, Ranek would be a better player in the NFL than most of those high-priced, whiny crybabies.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Looking at the Stats from their 1st game Ranek only got to carry the ball 1 time for 3 yards and also had only 1 reception for 11 yards. Their team website listed him as the starter. Just wondering what the reason for Ranek only getting 1 carry? Anyone with any idea?

Comment

that is an awesome article. i like this quote josh used about abilities and limitations. "You've got to know yourself and know your abilities and limitations," Ranek said. "It's the dream of every running back to score the winning touchdown in a Super Bowl, but for how many guys does it really happen? [The CFL] has been good to me. I've been able to earn a living doing something I enjoy. You get to a point, and it's a good point, where you don't drive yourself crazy anymore wondering about how you might have [fared] if you'd gotten another shot in the NFL. This has become a big enough profile for me." he has done amazing since leaving sdsu, and i wonder what he else could have done against competition like we face now.

Comment

hey was injured with a charlie horse in the 1st quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                he has done amazing since leaving sdsu, and i wonder what he else could have done against competition like we face now.  

It is part of our nature to ask, "what if . . . ?"  Josh Ranek is a good example of why we should always look back on our Division 2 days with good memories and a genuine sense of honor.  What he accomplished in college football and what he has accomplished since are really quite amazing.

If we dismiss our history in D-2 as ancient history or belittle D-2 as unimportant we are assigning dishonor to the individuals such as Mr. Ranek who are such an inspirational part of SDSU athletic heritage.  If we speak or write dishonorably about D-2 now we are belittling the achievements of teams like the men's and women's basketball teams, each of which won a national title during our tenure in NCAA Division 2.

There are a lot of people in SDSU athletic history who achieved honor during their playing years.  Some of the players that I remember in football include Dan Sonnek, Mike Busch, Ted Wahl, Les Tuma, Gary Maffet to Lionel Macklin, the late Doug Miller . . .   In basketball we cannot forget  Bob Winzenberg,  Steve Lingenfelter, the whole McDonald family, Lee Cobern, Dennis Womeldorf, Don Jacobson, Sid Bostick . . .

My apologies for any misspellings in the list above and my greater apologies for all of those notable people and teams not named.

When we cast aside our proud D-2 heritage we are doing the same to all of the fine athletes who inspired us, entertained us, and gave every bit of energy they could give in support of SDSU pride.  Our spoken words, written words, and memories should honor the contributions of these fine people!

Comment

Great post WRJack. I echo your thoughts! That proud past is what will help our athletes, coaches, and fans get to a similar level at this new level! Going to be fun to look back in ten or fifteen years (maybe less).

Ranek was simply amazing! Just a kid that had more heart than anyone else on the field. He always would get another 3-4+ yards after getting hit. He wasn't the fastest kid in the timed 40-yard dash but he was always a step faster than the guy chasing him. He could have played at any level and would have excelled. Not to mention a real class act!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I do remember many games in which Ranek looked like he was hurting and just punished the other team. I wonder if anyone knows if he ever comes to any of the games ever or if he is too busy with the CFL stuff. Remember the 371 total yardage game against NDSU in 2001 or the 5 TD game against Ferris State in 2000 or 2001, he put up amazing numbers.

Comment

Ranek's life isn't entirely about football. He and his brother, Jesse (also former SDSU football player), have a gym in Spearfish, SD. Maybe when Josh is all through with football, he'll settle into teaching and coaching out here in the Black Hills....

http://www.raneksgym.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                      Ranek's life isn't entirely about football.  He and his brother, Jesse (also former SDSU football player), have a gym in Spearfish, SD.  Maybe when Josh is all through with football, he'll settle into teaching and coaching out here in the Black Hills....

http://www.raneksgym.com/
                      I would think Josh will be one great backfield coach especially with running backs.

I second West River Jacks comments about our D2 legecy. Its what we should remember and cherish.

There was a SID on D2Football.com message board from one of the D2 Texas schools who felt that Josh was over-rated for the Harlon Hill Award and that individual predicted that Josh would never see a day in the NFL. I think this SID was bitter about not getting the support from other SID's for one of his guys. He never saw Josh play but he had his mind made up. If for no other reason, I would love to see Rannek in the NFL, just to prove this guy wrong. By the overtones in the column, Josh may retire from the CFL. I think we can still be very proud of this fine young man.

Comment

If you've never seen the guy play its hard to describe what type of player he was. I think the nickname he earned in Ottowa fits quite well though, his teammates called him "Little Ball of Hate" for the running style he uses

Comment

Working...
                        X