AUTO-BID GWFC BY 2010?  HERE'S HOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AUTO-BID GWFC BY 2010?  HERE'S HOW

If the 5 existing GWFC members could talk ONE EXISTING FOOTBALL PROGRAM to join us starting in '08 then we'd could be AUTO-BID ELIGIBLE by '10!!!!

See Ralph & my discussions about this at this AGS thread

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...924&page=3

Re: AUTO-BID GWFC BY 2010?  HERE'S HOW

That's a big if. Getting a team to jump to the GWFC would be a hard sell. I'm not sure what incentive a team would have to leave their conference to join the GWFC. Of course, there's Savannah State, they are independent. But if they don't want to travel, they should leave D-I. Of course, it would help if they could win a game. Savannah State may define suckiness, but if what is needed is a slightly warm body, they would do for the purpose of having six teams.

Comment

How about Univ of North Dakota? They gotta play somewhere...

Comment

UND won't be playoff eligible until 2012, provided that they do declare their intent to go to D-1 next year.

Comment

I wish the University of San Diego would add scholarships and join the GWFC. Hypothetically speaking, if they did, would they fill the requirement to get the auto-bid by 2010? Or is their some type of "probationary" period for a school that is adding schollies for the first time, even if they've always been DI? They would fit nicely into the GWFC, and perhaps keep the current California schools happy and open to more expansion in the midwest, i.e. UND, USD.

Comment

Originally posted by bincitysioux
            I wish the University of San Diego would add scholarships and join the GWFC.  Hypothetically speaking, if they did, would they fill the requirement to get the auto-bid by 2010?  Or is their some type of "probationary" period for a school that is adding schollies for the first time, even if they've always been DI?  They would fit nicely into the GWFC, and perhaps keep the current California schools happy and open to more expansion in the midwest, i.e. UND, USD.
            They don't even have to add schollies. But at same time they shouldn't be in a conference with some of the best teams in I-AA and not be coming up in schollies. They'll be slaughtered. Look what happened to Valpo and watch the Drake/UNI results. not a pretty sight.

Comment

How often have schools decided to go from from a non-schollie to a schollie program in D-1?

My thoughts would be that such a school would likely be stuck as an independent for a few years since they would get booted from a non-schollie conference and they likely wouldn't be accepted (or want to play) in a schollie conference until they had several classes of scholarship players.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                How often have schools decided to go from from a non-schollie to a schollie program in D-1?...
                Well, Austin Peay is doing that this year... leaving the PFL and rejoining schollie I-AA. They'll be a full OVC member next year. The entire NEC is leaving non-schollie and adding them this year (they've been need-based grants and aid since 2001 IIRC).

Comment

Working...
                X