SDSU vs Montana to be televised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU vs Montana to be televised

I don't want to get everyone too excited as this so far is a deal for Montana viewers, but wouldn't it make sense for one of our local channels to work with KPAX so that the game could also be shown in South Dakota?  Who knows since Montana is coming to Brookings next year maybe some sort of rights swap/production costs deal could be worked out.  :-?

http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi...ax=1&-find

Montana, KPAX reach deal to televise non-conference football games

University of Montana athletic director Jim O'Day announced Wednesday that KPAX-TV and Montana have reached an agreement to broadcast the Grizzlies' two home non-conference football games this fall, South Dakota State on Sept. 9 and Cal Poly on Nov. 4. The deal gives KPAX the broadcast rights for 10 of Montana's 11 games this fall, excluding the Grizzlies' Sept. 2 match-up at Iowa, which is owned by ESPNU.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Re: SDSU vs Montana to be televised

It would be great if SDSU could somehow get all of its away games televised in the near future.....you would think that KDLT would get better ratings from this than their typical Saturday programming (with the possible exception of Notre Dame football).

Comment

It would be nice to have the games televised but I don't think Fred is interested in giving away the product. I can see that point for bball but I don't think it would effect Fball attendance.

Comment

Unless SDSU was drawing 15-20K for every home game, I wouldn't televise any home games in eastern SD (televise them in the Black Hills and on satellite for out-of-area alums and boosters). Having away games could help home attendence if 1) it showed that SDSU is putting an exciting and competitve team on the field and 2) introduced SDSU fans to top-notch D-1AA teams (such as Montana, Texas State, Georgia Southern, etc.) that would be coming to play in Brookings in the future.

Comment

Don't you think that by showing games on tv it would be more like advertising the product than giving it away? I know the Sioux City channels cover Iowa and Iowa State games. I think that being able to watch games on tv would get more of the occasional fans up to Brookings more often. It probably won't help with season tickets, but the families/people from eastern SD might make a couple of more trips to Frost/Coughlin Alumni if they had seen the team play before, knew the players and were just more informed on the Jacks.

All the big time programs in the regio televise their games including Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State. If State wants to be a legit D1 program, albeit DIAA, they they need to televise their games.

Comment

I think it is a money question. Until we are fully funded on scholarships, I don't think we will see SDSU paying to have their games broadcast, which probably is the only way they can get on right now. Granted, SDSU could probably swing a deal to buy the time and keep the money from what ever ads it sells, but I'm not sure that right now the Athl Dept would want to devote the time to making that work. The schools you mentioned are not in this position. I believe Iowa sells the rights to broadcast its games, keeps most of the ad revenue, and has production controls for its FB games. 1-A schools are not a good comparison at all.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

What are the chances we will see that game televised in Brookings??

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
                What are the chances we will see that game televised in Brookings??
                A station in San Luis Obispo made a deal with the Montana Station and broadcasted both games against Montana in the SLO area.

Comment

In the past, most Montana football games have been carried on KU band satellite (Free-to-Air). It takes a special receiver and dish (you can't get it on DirecTV or Dish Network systems). Alot of sports bars have this type of setup, so if there is one in the Sioux Falls area or elsewhere, they should be able to pull in the game if they have the equipment.

Comment

I know last fall Cubby's in Brookings attempted to get the Montana game using some sort of satellite dish that they brought in that morning for the specific purpose of the UM v. SDSU game. They had a bar full of people and unfortunately couldn't get the satellite feed - they pumped on WNAX and gave discounts on Food and Beer instead, needless to say the bar was still pretty full. I am sure they will try again this year and it sounds as if it may be a little easier with a new TV contract for the griz.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

How about tape-delay? Are there any independent stations in the area?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                        I think it is a money question. Until we are fully funded on scholarships, I don't think we will see SDSU paying to have their games broadcast, which probably is the only way they can get on right now. Granted, SDSU could probably swing a deal to buy the time and keep the money from what ever ads it sells, but I'm not sure that right now the Athl Dept would want to devote the time to making that work.
                        I disagree. UNC is not fully funded and the past couple years we've had 3-4 regionally televised games. Both by Fox Sports Rocky Mountain and by Altitude TV and entertainment. Altitude will televise two games this season. They reach 9 western states. Your athletic department would be nuts not to work something out with a tv station. It's a major tool to get people into the program. Also helps recruits. High School prep stars want to go somewhere where they will be on Tv.

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
                          I disagree. UNC is not fully funded and the past couple years we've had 3-4 regionally televised games. Both by Fox Sports Rocky Mountain and by Altitude TV and entertainment. Altitude will televise two games this season. They reach 9 western states. Your athletic department would be nuts not to work something out with a tv station. It's a major tool to get people into the program. Also helps recruits. High School prep stars want to go somewhere where they will be on Tv.
                          Disagree all you want. But we've been through this discussion before. Airtime costs money. The assumption seems to be that KELO or whoever would be crazy not to air an SDSU football game. Any idea how much a football game production costs? Answer: Way more than Saturday afternoon or evening local advertising rates will pay. Somebody would buy the commercial spots, but they won't pay enough for KELO to make money after paying for cameras, satellite or microwave transmission, production truck, staff, talent, etc. Live television is a very, very costly business.

If you see a South Dakota college or university playing on TV, there's a good chance they paid for the privilege. I think there is something in the works for KELO to do an SDSU basketball game this year. KELO staff visited Frost to get a look at what they'd have to do. If it happens, somebody will be paying for that. SDSU? The Foundation? Somebody.

Clearly uncbearsfan is right that TV has really benefited recruiting at UNC. Oh, wait, they were 2-9 in 2004 and 4-7 in 2005. So... maybe not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
                            [quote author=1stRowFANatic link=1152204733/0#5 date=1152210133]I think it is a money question. Until we are fully funded on scholarships, I don't think we will see SDSU paying to have their games broadcast, which probably is the only way they can get on right now. Granted, SDSU could probably swing a deal to buy the time and keep the money from what ever ads it sells, but I'm not sure that right now the Athl Dept would want to devote the time to making that work.
                            I disagree. UNC is not fully funded and the past couple years we've had 3-4 regionally televised games. Both by Fox Sports Rocky Mountain and by Altitude TV and entertainment. Altitude will televise two games this season. They reach 9 western states. Your athletic department would be nuts not to work something out with a tv station. It's a major tool to get people into the program. Also helps recruits. High School prep stars want to go somewhere where they will be on Tv. [/quote]

It helps UNC that Denver is nearby for getting games on TV. It hurts SDSU that eastern SD gravitates towards the Twin Cities while the Black Hills gives more attention towards Denver (and receives FSN-Rocky Mt. instead of FSN-North). In addition, the local TV stations in Sioux Falls are largely ambivalent about covering and airing an entire sporting event, let alone a full season of games. The fact that SD Public TV is based out of Vermillion is the final TV kick in the gut for Jackrabbit fans.

I know that Fred does not want to sacrifice attendance for a mediocre TV deal. My guess is that SDSU will be more aggressively with a TV deal once the transition is complete, attendance is stronger, and SDSU will be able to negotiate from a position of strength.

Comment

Originally posted by jackphd
                              [Clearly uncbearsfan is right that TV has really benefited recruiting at UNC. Oh, wait, they were 2-9 in 2004 and 4-7 in 2005. So... maybe not so much.
                              They may have only gone 2-9 and 4-7 but look how well they did against us. What's that? Wait, I'm sorry I had my facts messed up. Never mind.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                              X