Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbits #49 in I-AA - Matt Dougherty

A pre-season I-AA football ranking, #1 to #101 (scholarship programs):
    49. South Dakota State (6-5) - The Jackrabbits performed admirably against a tough schedule and feature a solid running tandem with Cory Koenig and Anthony Watson, but they could have a tough time making the next step with another brutal schedule.
    That's probably fair. Until we can go on the road and beat some of the upper-tier I-AA teams, the Jackrabbits will be considered a middle-of-the-pack I-AA football program. But since we're still ramping up scholarships, being in the top half right now is a pretty good achievement.

"I think we'll be OK"

Re: Jackrabbits #49 in I-AA - Matt Dougherty

I think that being competitive and trying to play some of the best teams in I-AA (to gauge what is needed to be play-off calibar) while we work our way up to 63 schollies is our top priority. Winning a big game or two on the road is the key for us to work on our way into playoff consideration once we're playoff eligible in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
      I think that being competitive and trying to play some of the best teams in I-AA (to gauge what is needed to be play-off calibar) while we work our way up to 63 schollies is our top priority. Winning a big game or two on the road is the key for us to work on our way into playoff consideration once we're playoff eligible in 2008.
      We are playing 7 top 25 programs this year. Except for UC-Davis, every one of those games are on the road. We are playing 3 teams in the top 10. For SDSU to have a winning record this year, we need to win against SUU, UCA, at least one SLC school and UC-Davis. We have a potential of as low as a 3-8 season, and I think 6-5 is about as optimistic as I'm seeing this year. I hope that we can show some of the "rated" schools more than moral victories.

I hope that Fred/Stig once thru the Mid-Con review, work on the GWFC schedule to get two home/two away games rather than the ridiculous 3-1 schedule we have now. That unbalanced GWFC schedule basically ruins our schedules in even years, and overloads in odd years.

Go JACKS

Comment

I agree that with the schedule this year, a 6-5 mark would be impressive. As for the GWFC schedule, I believe when it was first put together we would have had St. Mary's and UNC at home this year. Since neither is part of the GWFC, those games gone and the need for an adjustment is needed. This is where the conference needs to get involved because it means one of the other teams has to agree to hit the road two years in a row, but it needs to be done.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit
          [quote author=NightHawk78 link=1152462419/0#1 date=1152470745]I think that being competitive and trying to play some of the best teams in I-AA (to gauge what is needed to be play-off calibar) while we work our way up to 63 schollies is our top priority. Winning a big game or two on the road is the key for us to work on our way into playoff consideration once we're playoff eligible in 2008.
          We are playing 7 top 25 programs this year.  Except for UC-Davis, every one of those games are on the road.  We are playing 3 teams in the top 10.  For SDSU to have a winning record this year, we need to win against SUU, UCA, at least one SLC school and UC-Davis.  We have a potential of as low as a 3-8 season, and I think 6-5 is about as optimistic as I'm seeing this year.  I hope that we can show some of the "rated" schools more than moral victories.

I hope that Fred/Stig once thru the Mid-Con review, work on the GWFC schedule to get two home/two away games rather than the ridiculous 3-1 schedule we have now.  That unbalanced GWFC schedule basically ruins our schedules in even years, and overloads in odd years.

Go JACKS  
          [/quote]

Agree with this assesment. 6-5 would be respectable and should be viewed that way. Some good breaks and I suppose 8-3 is possible. On the other hand, some bad breaks and we could be 3-8 as stated. More importantly, I want to see us compete each and every time we take the field.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The first 5 games will tell a lot, with four top notch road games. One win is key out of those for good season of 6-5 or greater.

Comment

Working...
            X