X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks hire Assistant Coach

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,5234

Moore hired as assistant football coach
    South Dakota State University has filled a vacancy on its football coaching staff with the hiring of Shannon Moore as assistant coach for tight ends and running backs.

Moore, who will begin his duties July 24, previously served on John Stiegelmeier's staff as a graduate assistant during the 2003 and 2004 seasons, working with the running backs, tight ends and special teams. He currently is head coach of the Wyoming Cavalry of the National Indoor Football League, leading the Casper-based Cavalry to a franchise-best 10-5 record and a playoff berth in 2005, while also serving as the team's offensive coordinator. . . . (read more)

Welcome back Coach Moore! 8-)

Go State!

Re: Jacks hire Assistant Coach

This is absolutely not a knock on Coach Moore or Stig's decision, but I was kind of hoping for a coach with some connections to a new recruiting area. I'm sure the pickin's were not as plentiful as they would have been in March but I was still hoping we'd find someone from either coast where the numbers are greater. That being said, welcome Coach Moore. I look forward to seeing some indoor influences every now and then with our offense.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
      This is absolutely not a knock on Coach Moore or Stig's decision, but I was kind of hoping for a coach with some connections to a new recruiting area.  I'm sure the pickin's were not as plentiful as they would have been in March but I was still hoping we'd find someone from either coast where the numbers are greater.  That being said, welcome Coach Moore.  I look forward to seeing some indoor influences every now and then with our offense.
      MJA- I totally agree with you. I think future coaches joining the Jacks staff should bring a rolodex of connections to high school coaches and kids in geographical areas where we are not strong with area relationships. Why have we rarely got a kid out of Illinois or Ohio for example where there is a lot of talent and yet we have not recruited there. Coaching staffs should compliment each other not only with their football teaching talents but also their connections to recruiting grounds.

Comment

http://www.jacksonholestartrib.com/a...aa0016f3d7.txt

NIFL: Moore moves on to SDSU

By IAN STAUFFER
        Star-Tribune staff writer Thursday, July 13, 2006

Shannon Moore told the Star-Tribune Wednesday night that he resigned as head coach of the Wyoming Cavalry to accept an assistant position at South Dakota State University.

Moore, who took over as head coach of the Cavalry just before the season in 2005, was a graduate assistant at SDSU for two seasons before coming to Casper. . . .

The Cavs finished last season with the best record in team history, 10-5, but lost to Tri-Cities in the first round of the playoffs. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

I do think that Coach Stig does get to know his grad assistants real well. If they impress Stig then I would think they have something going for them in their ability to coach. I think working with the minor football franchise you meet a ton of people and who knows who all are included in Coach Moore's little book. One of the best on our staff Luke Meadows was once a grad assistant too, so I think Stig pretty much has made a good choice. Even though Coach Moore came and went without much notice, he may be a very good coach.

Another point is that since its so close to starting fall camp, its hard to advertize, screen applicants and interview in such a short time frame. I think Coach went to someone who was motivated and has coaching ability. I think recruiting is still pretty much controlled by the budget meaning we still can not go recruiting in all 50 states like we should or would like too. I think hitting Wisconsin more is an improvement.

Comment

my post was not meant as a knock on Coach Moore whatsoever. I actually played when Luke Meadows was a student coach, prior to becoming a GA and am good friends with Luke. He is a great coach. I'm sure Coach Moore is, too. My point was not that we should be recruiting all 50 states, but that someone from, say Kentucky or Tennessee, would allow us to dip into an area of the nation rich with football talent and ripe for us to go in and steel some players. Coach Moore has experience in SD and WY. We already have plenty of contacts in those areas. Assistant coaches are generally ranked with "potential to bring in new recruits" as a pretty high priority. That's all I was saying. Again, welcome to Coach Moore.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

No disagreement ,MJA. In the long term your points are well taken and I would agree with them. We do need to tap into the big markets for recruiting and eventually we will. I think Coach Garry was very well thought of and probably one of your teammates. I think they also knew for a long time that Mrs. Garry would be off to a urban market once she completed her degree and landed a position. I would think that they had hoped this would have all happen during or right after spring camp or even earlier, as that would allowed Coach  Stig to do a full blown search and found a candidate with creditentials that included a network for recruiting in Kentucky and Tennessee  and other places such as Texas.

I think the timing of this whole situation probably limited the choices Coach Stig make. That would not be a knock on Coach Garry. If your spouse can make the bread and put on the table for you to eat, why turn it down.

Comment

http://www.jacksonholestartrib.com/a...ab0003d284.txt

South Dakota State job an opportunity Cavs coach 'couldn't pass up'

By IAN STAUFFER
                Star-Tribune staff writer

Wyoming Cavalry coach Shannon Moore's last game at the Casper Events Center was an impressive 55-42 win over the Rapid City Flying Aces on July 4.

The next day, Moore found out he was going to be offered an assistant coaching job at South Dakota State, and it didn't take him long to decide.

On Wednesday, Moore told the Star-Tribune he accepted the job and was leaving the Cavs.

"I think this is a great opportunity for me," said Moore, who was a graduate assistant at SDSU for two years before coming to Casper. "I had a great time at South Dakota State. A lot of the kids I recruited are starters now, so it will be a pretty easy transition."  .  .  .

Moore leaves the Cavs after a second straight winning season and playoff berth. Wyoming tied its best record in team history last year with a 10-5 season and went 8-6 this year. The 18-11 record is the best two-year stretch in team history.

"I'm sad to leave here," Moore said. "The community has been great to me for two years, but this just was an opportunity I couldn't pass up."  .  .  .

Now he will be back at SDSU to coach the running backs and tight ends and help out on special teams. He will also handle the recruiting duties for Wisconsin and southern Minnesota. . . .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Working...
                X