• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1-A Guarantees

Appears to be quite a range in the amounts, from the Pioneer Press

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/15114131.htm

Don't print that

Word is Iowa will pay Montana $600,000 to play football in Iowa City on Labor Day weekend while the Gophers will pay North Dakota State $30,000 for their Oct. 21 game at the Metrodome.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Re: 1-A Guarantees

That has to be a misprint.  I know I have read that NDSU is getting $300,000 for their game.  I think the Pioneer Press is missing a zero. After all Southern University payed us $40,000 a couple a years ago so that we could go to Baton Rouge and beat them. 8-)

Go State!  

Comment

hmmm maybe instead of 30,000 they mean 300,000?

Comment

I guess everyone read this at the same time. I also remember the amount being 300k.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack
          I guess everyone read this at the same time.  I also remember the amount being 300k.
          And the $$ amount mentioned ad nausum at Bisonville.

Comment

It vey well could be a misprint. Have to watch for corrections.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

$600,000 does seem kind awfully high, but I guess there is inflation in guarantees. It used to be that guarantees of around $200,000 were typical for I-AA opponents, and $400,000 for a Sun Belt level team.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                Appears to be quite a range in the amounts, from the Pioneer Press

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/15114131.htm

Don't print that

Word is Iowa will pay Montana $600,000 to play football in Iowa City on Labor Day weekend while the Gophers will pay North Dakota State $30,000 for their Oct. 21 game at the Metrodome.

That's a typo. The Bison will get $300,000 for playing at Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by RodentiaX1
                  $600,000 does seem kind awfully high, but I guess there is inflation in guarantees. It used to be that guarantees of around $200,000 were typical for I-AA opponents, and $400,000 for a Sun Belt level team.

Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but Iowa is inaugurating a renovated Kinnick Stadium with the Montana game. New luxury boxes and club seats must mean a sizable increase in gameday revenue. Plus, with three or four (can't remember offhand) New Year's Day bowl games in a row, Iowa can be considered an elite program in the Big Ten along with Ohio State and Michigan. Finally, I'm sure the Grizzly Nation travels well, no doubt better than the Ball States or Kent States of the world that Iowa has been opening with for a few years.

Comment

I admit to being biased, but I wouldn't say that Iowa is an elite in the sense that Ohio State and Michigan are. I'm no great fan of Michigan and Ohio State either. But the luster on those two schools fades a lot slower than it does at a school like Iowa.

Comment

I would never consider Iowa an elite program, top 25 yes, elite not even close. That status is reserved for LSU, USC, Miami, Florida, FSU, Texas, Oklahoma etc... Guarantes can range up to 800K when playing a program like that.

Comment

Gopher fans would probably die to have half of the success Iowa has had over the past ten years.

Comment

Perhaps, but that isn't the point. I'm no fan of Iowa, I admit, but Iowa doesn't have the consistency of schools like Michigan or Ohio State, and doesn't have the same year-in and year-out buzz that the elite schools do. That they have done better than Minnesota over the last ten years is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozark_Jack
                            I would never consider Iowa an elite program, top 25 yes, elite not even close.
                            To quote myself: "Iowa can be considered an elite program in the Big Ten". I did not say they are a national elite.

Some facts: Iowa has 25 Big Ten conference wins in the last four years. That's the most of any Big Ten team. They have two Big Ten titles in the last four years; 17 consecutive sellouts at Kinnick (70,000-plus) plus sold out for the coming season; Ferentz Big Ten coach of the year twice in the last four years and national coach of the year once; top-ten final ranking in 2002, 2003, and 2004. Only Ohio State has a better run in the last half-decade in the Big Ten. Michigan has faded a bit and Iowa is on the upswing. So maybe, just maybe it isn't crazy to suggest that the Hawkeyes are an (and not THE) elite BIG TEN program.

I was trying to figure out why they offered Montana a $600K guarantee and offered a few possibilities. Of course a bunch of you (Iowa-haters? ISU or Minnesota fans?) didn't read what I wrote and decided I was claiming national pre-eminence for the Iowa program. I didn't say that.

Comment

Originally posted by jackphd
                              [quote author=Ozark_Jack link=1153854348/0#10 date=1153948501]I would never consider Iowa an elite program, top 25 yes, elite not even close.
                              To quote myself: "Iowa can be considered an elite program in the Big Ten". I did not say they are a national elite.

Some facts: Iowa has 25 Big Ten conference wins in the last four years. That's the most of any Big Ten team. They have two Big Ten titles in the last four years; 17 consecutive sellouts at Kinnick (70,000-plus) plus sold out for the coming season;  Ferentz Big Ten coach of the year twice in the last four years and national coach of the year once; top-ten final ranking in 2002, 2003, and 2004. Only Ohio State has a better run in the last half-decade in the Big Ten. Michigan has faded a bit and Iowa is on the upswing. So maybe, just maybe it isn't crazy to suggest that the Hawkeyes are an (and not THE) elite BIG TEN program.

I was trying to figure out why they offered Montana a $600K guarantee and offered a few possibilities. Of course a bunch of you (Iowa-haters? ISU or Minnesota fans?) didn't read what I wrote and decided I was claiming national pre-eminence for the Iowa program. I didn't say that.[/quote]

I picked up what you were putting down phd, no worries.

Comment

Working...
                              X