• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU to the Gateway

I saw this over on the Bison Board:

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregis...xml&coll=3

Conference to add ninth team?

Wednesday, July 26, 2006
    NEW ORLEANS -- Troy University head coach Larry Blakeney mentioned at the Sun Belt Conference football media days gathering this week that he hoped the league would bring another team into the conference, giving it nine Division I-A-playing teams, which would give each team eight league games per year.

Commissioner Wright Waters admitted nine would be "the perfect number for scheduling," allowing four home and four road games each season.

Some within the conference believe the reality of a nine-team Sun Belt football roster may happen soon -- and the search won't have to take place outside the conference. Western Kentucky, already a Sun Belt member but playing a I-AA schedule, is believed to be considering a move up to I-A membership. . . . (read more)

If WKU leaves the Gateway that would leave them with only 7 teams, you add SDSU and NDSU and you are at nine which is a great number for football. Something to think about.

Go State!

Re: SDSU to the Gateway

I'll believe it when I see it, but the Gateway works for me.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Agreed, the WKU rumor has been out there for some time now.

Go State!

Comment

Eastern IL has the inside track on the WKU spot. They are a better geographic fit and have been in the Gateway before, so everyone is familar with that pick.

One thing you guys have to keep in mind when looking for a conference now is the additional weight of dragging UND and USD around. The Us and SUs will alway be a package deal and finding a conference that needs 4 teams will be tough. N&SDSU ar enot going to get a bid until '08 at the earliest and the two Us will both be ready to move up by then and be negotiating every conference bid out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucky
          Eastern IL has the inside track on the WKU spot.  They are a better geographic fit and have been in the Gateway before, so everyone is familar with that pick.

One thing you guys have to keep in mind when looking for a conference now is the additional weight of dragging UND and USD around.  The Us and SUs will alway be a package deal and finding a conference that needs 4 teams will be tough.  N&SDSU ar enot going to get a bid until '08 at the earliest and the two Us will both be ready to move up by then and be negotiating every conference bid out there.
          Gee thanks you seem to have it figured out. Maybe we should go bakc to D2. Why would it be so impossible for NDSU and SDSU  to gain membership in the Gateway? I am sure its an option being explored.  We just did not fall off the turnip truck last week either. We do know about finding conferences and though not easy its not impossible. Lets see what happens.

After looking at the EIU website, do a google, I see that EIU seems to be very comfortable in competing in the Ohio Valley Conference that has both men and women sports. In order for EIU to join the Gateway, they would almost have to be assured membership in the Missouri Valley Conference for other sports as the Gateway is football only. OVC seems to currently fit EIU competition needs so I really wonder if they are seeking membership in the Gateway, and if it means dropping the OVC entirely would that be a good idea? Where will the other sports men and women compete? So LUCKY LUCKY where did you get this notion that EIU has the inside track? If they were in the Gateway and then dropped out, it would appear to me that the OVC was a better fit for all sports and why fix something that is not broke, ie join the Gateway for football and be independant for every other sport.  

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucky
            Eastern IL has the inside track on the WKU spot.  They are a better geographic fit and have been in the Gateway before, so everyone is familar with that pick.

One thing you guys have to keep in mind when looking for a conference now is the additional weight of dragging UND and USD around.  The Us and SUs will alway be a package deal and finding a conference that needs 4 teams will be tough.  N&SDSU ar enot going to get a bid until '08 at the earliest and the two Us will both be ready to move up by then and be negotiating every conference bid out there.
            All due respect, that has got to be one of the dumbest posts not put up by a Mav Twin.

Haldersham explained why EIU is as likely to tell the Gateway no thanks as it is to ask to get in.

But how did you ever come up with the idea that the SDSU, NDSU, UND & USD are now a package deal? The last two have not even officially committed to D-1, but conferences are going to look at them as part of the deal? I guess you haven't seen or heard any of the comments by both SDSU & NDSU, that while they have approached this together, neither is going to turn down a bid because the other one didn't get. If the BSC had invited either of these schools instead of UNC, they would not be getting ready for site visits from the Mid-Con.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

That's all fine and good from your perspective, but it's not that simple. UND has already done more work to get into top level mid-major conferences than both of the SUs and USD is their tag along. SDSU's problem is that NDSU is seperating themselves from the Jacks. The Jacks are the tag-along to the Bison like the Yotes are to the Sioux. The Dakota schools are not going anywhere without package deals for many reasons. What conference is going to take one of them on their own? No one.

The BSC doesn't want any Dakota program without Weastern programs dropping out. The Dakota programs need to hope that the Cali, AZ, UT-BSC programs find some like programs to make their own deal, and then that will make room for the Dakota programs to join the Idaho and Montana schools.

You can talk all you want that UND and USD have not committed yet, but they will and when they do they're conjoined at the hip.

Mav Twin?? Talk about dumb.

As for EIU not taking a Gateway offer, yeah right! The Gateway needs a program that will compete with WIU and ISU at the bottom teir of the conference and make the occational run to the top which EIU can do. EIU can stay in the OVC or move to either the MVC or Mid Cont. for all other sports without football. And if the Mid Cont. came knocking, EIU would be bid before any Dakota program because of logistics anyway.

Do some more research bro.

Comment

Lucky,

You seem to be the one who is out of touch and perhaps should do some addtional research.  You are aware that the Mid-Con has site visits planned for both NDSU and SDSU in the next couple of weeks, right?

Here are a couple of threads to help you get cought up.

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1145505930

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1152150847

Happy reading.

If all goes as most expect NDSU, SDSU and IPFW will have Mid-Con invites by early fall. UND won't even start it's transition until '07-'08 and USD is still just studying the idea of moving up to D-I. I am really not sure where you are coming from on many of your opinions. :-?

Go State!  

Comment

Luckylucky's post is a good reminder that much of what one reads on a message board has no more substance than the hot air hovering over north central SD and south central ND.  The SUs have no more connection with the Us than, say, Iowa State is dragging around U of Iowa (or vice versa).  

We have a section on this message board for semi-serious discussion which includes a lot of speculation and rumor.  We have a section for "smack".  With a post like Luckylucky's, we may need a section for the "Dumb and Ignorant".  

Comment

Another story this time from the Sporting News:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=113064

. . . Good news for BCS heavyweights: The Sun Belt likely will expand to nine teams in 2007, which would give the BCS boys yet another rent-a-win opponent. The league wants a ninth team--likely I-AA Western Kentucky, which is contemplating a move to I-A--for scheduling purposes (four home games, four road games). . . . (read More)

Go State!

Comment

UND has already done more work to get into top level mid-major conferences than both of the SUs and USD is their tag along.
                      You've got to be kidding. Either that or you just haven't paid attention. The SUs are years ahead of UND in that department. UND will be starting at square one.

SDSU's problem is that NDSU is seperating themselves from the Jacks.
                      There's no indication of that.

The Dakota schools are not going anywhere without package deals for many reasons.
                      UND and USD are going to have to wander in the wilderness for a few years. The SUs are nearly assured to a conference invite this fall.

As for EIU not taking a Gateway offer, yeah right!  The Gateway needs a program that will compete with WIU and ISU at the bottom teir of the conference and make the occational run to the top which EIU can do.  EIU can stay in the OVC or move to either the MVC or Mid Cont. for all other sports without football.  And if the Mid Cont. came knocking, EIU would be bid before any Dakota program because of logistics anyway.
                      Didn't EIU already leave the Gateway once? Why would they be itching to come back? Even if they wanted to leave, the OVC might have a problem with them being a member for all sports except football. Any indications that EIU is interested in moving to the MVC, or that the MVC is looking to expand? Any indications that EIU is interested in the Mid-Con?

There's every reason to think that the SUs would be competitive in the Gateway conference, certainly at least as competitive as the standards you just set. In any case, the Gateway would have to make a decision well before UND and USD are ready for an invite.

Do some more research bro.
                      You start.

Comment

The Gateway would be a great league to be in football-wise. Regardless if what conference SDSU, your future looks very bright. 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                          [quote author=Luckylucky link=1153952779/0#3 date=1154189682]Eastern IL has the inside track on the WKU spot.  They are a better geographic fit and have been in the Gateway before, so everyone is familar with that pick.

All due respect, that has got to be one of the dumbest posts not put up by a Mav Twin.

Haldersham explained why EIU is as likely to tell the Gateway no thanks as it is to ask to get in.

But how did you ever come up with the idea that the SDSU, NDSU, UND & USD are now a package deal? The last two have not even officially committed to D-1, but conferences are going to look at them as part of the deal? I guess you haven't seen or heard any of the comments by both SDSU & NDSU, that while they have approached this together, neither is going to turn down a bid because the other one didn't get. If the BSC had invited either of these schools instead of UNC, they would not be getting ready for site visits from the Mid-Con.[/quote]

While I really do think the content of your message is not correct, name calling should not be a response. I apologize.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Do I have to apologize too?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                              Do I have to apologize too?
                              No JackJD, you dont have apologize for stating truthful facts. Message boards are opinions which some either do support with facts and articles or they choose not to but go with their wild gut feelings and often these gut instincts are wrong. In fact Firstrow really did not need to apologize either as Lucky Lucky is shooting from the hip. He might be appropriate for him to apologize though.

Comment

Working...
                              X