UNI picked as the favorite in the Gateway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI picked as the favorite in the Gateway

The Panthers are going to be a big test for the Jackrabbits.  I have already made my hotel reservations for this one!  8-)

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2...d376960498.txt

UNI gets nod from Gateway

By DOUG NEWHOFF, Sports Editor

ST. LOUIS - It’s a long and winding road that travels through the Gateway Football Conference each season.

The University of Northern Iowa knows it well. The Panthers also know where it can lead after their 2005 run to the Division I-AA national championship game.

That wild ride made it easy for the rest of the Gateway to pin the favorite label on UNI at Tuesday’s annual kickoff luncheon. But that doesn’t mean anybody is conceding the title.

Youngstown State has carried a chip on its shoulder since the Penguins were left out of the 2005 playoffs despite an 8-3 record. Western Kentucky and Southern Illinois feel like they underachieved a year ago. Western Illinois believes its strong 2005 finish is only the beginning of things to come.

Illinois State is deep in talent and experience. Indiana State is hoping year two of the Lou West era begins to pay dividends. And Missouri State is counting on former UNI coach Terry Allen to change its fortunes.

For all of those reasons, not to mention the loss of a dozen productive starters and the fact that only one of the last six preseason favorites has won the league, the Panthers weren’t particularly excited about Tuesday’s attention.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Re: UNI picked as the favorite in the Gateway

Outside of a win, what score would make you happy leaving Cedar Falls?

Comment

I'd answer that question with a score similar to Montana's game last year, but then that would mean we'd be falling into the trap of being at least ok with just coming close. When asking yourself if you'd be ok with us losing 10-0 or 14-10, ask yourself if NDSU would go into the game thinking that, or even happy after the game with one of those outcomes. NDSU plans on winning these games and is truly at a lost when they don't. We need to get to that level and we need to get there before UND moves up and tries their best to steal any momentum we've gained in the recruiting battles. If we are stuck for next couple of years with just being close with these upper echelon teams, we're back to where we were in D2 - better than average team, but not in the top 10%. You know UND is going to do everything possible to leap frog past us as soon as possible in the respectability meter in 1AA. We have a head start and need to start cashing in. So, anything less than a win at UNI would be a disappointment for me (although we're obviously underdogs).
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Absolutely agree MJA.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

i might be headed down to the game in Cedar Falls not sure yet, dunno how expensive tickets are for a game and stuff. would be kinda fun to go down and watch the game. and i got a friend willing to house me. i got about a month to decide.

Comment

Tickets are $15 or $20 for the game. Opponent fans usually sit in Section Q (I'm about 95% sure on that). You can purchase tickets online at:
            https://www.ticketreturn.com/prod2/t...?SponsorID=633

Or by calling (877) 216-DOME

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckylucky
              Outside of a win, what score would make you happy leaving Cedar Falls?
              I never think outside of the terms of winning a game, BUT at least covering the spread can soothe some wounds!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                i might be headed down to the game in Cedar Falls not sure yet, dunno how expensive tickets are for a game and stuff.  would be kinda fun to go down and watch the game.  and i got a friend willing to house me.  i got about a month to decide.
                I am making the trip for sure. Plan to have my brother drive up from Des Moines and meet us there. Might even be able to get my youngest brother to come down from Brookings. I'd like to see a good contingency of Jack's fans, in fact, I expect to.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I will be there, Doc. A number of people coming from here also. Less travel than normal to a game. Be sure to look us up....

Go Jacks !!!!!!
                  http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Working...
                  X