• Show
Clear All

• Montana mistake still fresh in Jacks' minds

SDSU vows to avenge missed chance
    Montana mistake still fresh in Jacks' minds

Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com
    August 24, 2006

BROOKINGS - One play defined South Dakota State's 2005 season - and not in a good way.

In a defensive standoff early last September, the Jackrabbits trailed 7-0 on the road against then fourth-ranked Montana. After moving into scoring position, an upset of gigantic proportions seemed a distinct possibility, silencing the hostile crowd of more than 23,000.

Then, literally, the chance slipped right through the Jacks' hands with about two minutes left.

A direct shotgun snap went past running back Cory Koenig and SDSU had misfired on its only scoring chance. Montana took the ball and ran out the clock.

"Oh man, that was sour - especially when I was watching them on TV in the playoffs," SDSU senior tight end Chris Wagner said. "One play here, one play there, and we could have beat those guys."

That one mistake represented all of the good and bad in SDSU's 6-5 campaign. In three of their losses, the Jacks stuck with their ranked opponents until late. All five losses came against teams that were ranked in Division I-AA.

But as Coach John Stiegelmeier has said time and again in his previous nine seasons, there are no moral victories in a loss. SDSU has yet to beat a ranked team since moving into I-AA in 2004.

The Jacks again will get plenty of chances to change that with an even more challenging schedule this year. Seven opponents are ranked in the preseason

I-AA poll: Montana (third), Northern Iowa (fourth), Cal Poly (sixth), McNeese State (11th), North Dakota State (19th), UC Davis (21st) and Nicholls State (24th).

As if that's not enough to make Stiegelmeier's head spin, all but one of those games is on the road.

"With two minutes left, we were poised to win the football game, and we didn't make the play. The play, and we didn't make it," said Stiegelmeier. "This year ... we know we can make that play. When we look at the scoreboard in the fourth quarter, we need to make that play."

For the Jackrabbits to finally get one of those elusive upsets, they'll need to ride their thundering trio of running backs: senior Anthony Watson and junior Koenig - each second-team All-Great West players last year - and speedy junior Trevor Hohn.

Watson has 2,970 yards rushing for his career, fourth-best all-time in SDSU history, and needs just 335 yards to move into second place. He combined with Koenig for 1,895 yards in 2005.

Quarterback Andy Kardoes' 2005 season was plagued by injuries - first a bad ankle, then a torn ACL - and coaches couldn't use much of the playbook they had installed for the typically mobile quarterback.

Coming off offseason back surgery to repair a herniated disc, fifth-year senior Kardoes will resume starting duties. Backup Ryan Berry, a sophomore, saw extensive playing time a year ago and made two starts.

SDSU averaged nearly 230 yards rushing a game in 2005 but threw for only 158.5 a contest.

They'll need to find a new go-to target with the graduation of all-time receptions leader Josh Davis. Seniors Dusty Snyders and Micah Johnson are penciled in, but young players such as sophomore JaRon Harris and redshirt freshman Mike Steffen will also see action.

Other key components on the line are tight end Wagner, senior center Mark Oelkers and first-team All-GWFC lineman Mitch Erickson, a junior who will move from tackle to right guard.

A young, untested defense will be given its baptism in the first five weeks, with four straight road games against ranked foes after a Sept. 2 opener against Wisconsin-LaCrosse.

A strong starting linebacking corps - featuring senior Marty Kranz and juniors Andrew Hoogeveen - should stabilize the defense. Junior Mitch Pontrelli and sophomore Jason Nobling, both returning starters, will be counted upon to lead an untested defensive line that lost promising Hank Goff to academics after last year.

Senior Jeff Hegge is the lone returnee in the rebuilt secondary, shifting from cornerback to safety.

"We're starting seven new players," Hoogeveen said. "They're talented players, just inexperienced players."

The Jackrabbits' special teams are the best in the conference and could be among the nation's elite.

Junior kicker Parker Douglass (19-of-26 on field goals) earned third-team preseason All-American recognition and set a school record last year with a 54-yarder against UC Davis. Senior punter Neal Bainbridge single-footedly controlled the field position in last year's Montana game and averaged 42.2 yards a kick.

Read more at:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...02/1002/SPORTS

Re: Montana mistake still fresh in Jacks' minds

Another great story by Chris, sad to say it is probably one of his last on our Jackrabbts. :'(

Go State!

Comment

I thought this was going to be about the 1993 game I guess after all these years any time Montana comes up I have flashbacks to a dropped intercetpion on 3rd down with under a minute left. Selfish me, I should be thinking about today's program instead I guess.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
        I thought this was going to be about the 1993 game I guess after all these years any time Montana comes up I have flashbacks to a dropped intercetpion on 3rd down with under a minute left. Selfish me, I should be thinking about today's program instead I guess.
        I think it was more than just one dropped pass. To have a 38-7 lead going into the fourth qtr and see it disappear was tough on the fans who drove countless miles to be in Missoula. Also when this game comes up, I think of that cotton picking cannon manned by the ROTC cadets in fatigues that was very silent until the fourth quarter and then that was all we heard each time the Griz crossed the goal line. Also the next day, as a fan sitting in a restaurtant I heard several conversations about the big Griz win and come back. Its a very memorable game, that had a bad ending. I think between last years game and and the 1993 game, we have some respect among the Griz fans. I would like to go this year, but have other priorities.

Comment

Working...
        X