Collegian story on the team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collegian story on the team

School just started and the Collegian already has an edition out, very nice. 8-)

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/media/s...ucollegian.com

Young Blood
    Stiegelmeier's vets lead the way for a new crop of stars.

Heather Mangan

Many new faces flood the field this year, shoring up a Jackrabbits football team decimated by graduation. But Coach Stig says his 12 returning veterans, most on offense, will lead the way to gridiron glory.

Maturity. It could be what makes or breaks this year's Jackrabbit football team. The Jacks' solid running game and stacked special teams give the squad some bite.

But last year's graduation hit the defense hard, and a new crop of recruits will need to fill in the gaps.

Head coach John Stiegelmeier said he's counting on his veterans to lead the way through a tough schedule featuring a big chunk of road games.

"I expect the 12 seniors to lead this football team," he said. "A good football team looks to experience." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Collegian story on the team

I picked up a collegian this weekend. Would sure be nice if they would have had all the dates correct for the games. They even listed that the NDSU game is HOME. They need to be proofreading their info a little bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by SD_Theta
      I picked up a collegian this weekend. Would sure be nice if they would have had all the dates correct for the games. They even listed that the NDSU game is HOME. They need to be proofreading their info a little bit better.
      Before the usual "the media stinks" piling on begins, I'll defend the students who work on the Collegian. If you saw the pathetic equipment they use to produce the paper, you'd be amazed that it even gets done. The Student Association hasn't spent a penny on that office in a decade. Stop down and see for yourself. It's a miracle that the paper even gets put together at all. They have had to beg and borrow equipment so that they can even function. For example, until last semester, they only had two Internet connections in the entire office, for heaven's sakes. It was a joke.

And I would say that the redesign they did this year is pretty spectacular given where they started and what they have to work with.

The good news is that they have a quality editor (Jeremy Fugleberg) and managing editor (Heather Mangan) this year who are committed to doing good journalism. They both have a wealth of experience (Jeremy at Argus, Heather covering the Legislature). It would be fair to say they're two of our best journalism students. And the Collegian has adult supervision for the first time ever. Sherry Fuller Bordewyk (a name well-known in SD newspapering) is in her second semester as full-time Collegian advisor. Sherry has focused so far on getting the paper in the black (nobody was selling ads! National full-page ads would come in and they'd 'forget' to run them!) They have a new print shop (the Madison Daily Leader) that cares about doing a good job, unlike the prior printer that didn't care. That in itself makes a big difference.

Give them a chance. I'm expecting good things. The paper had gotten so bad that it will take a little time to build it back up. You may not realize this, but for most of its existence, the Collegian has been considered one of the best weekly college newspapers in the country. In recent years... not so much. But the right pieces are in place.

Comment

Jackphd:

Thanks for giving the inside story on the paper. I have always enjoyed the paper and read the most current issue. I think the current edition and recent ones are better than anything I could put together. So good luck in helping with the rebuilding. It sounds like there are some unfulfilled needs here. Paying for a subscribtion might help and maybe as a starter for me.

Comment

When I was in school the Collegian was a must-read when it came out. Great articles, especially a humor piece written by a guy who's name escapes me right now. We had our share of beers together, but his name must have been replaced by the name of Dora's cousin (Diago) or some other piece of info picked up while playing with my girls. Anyway, a quality student newspaper is a big part of a good campus environment. I hope things start looking up again.

One knock. I don't think shotty equip would prevent someone from double-checking that NDSU was actually an away game. That's either a result of indifference, rushing to print or being lazy. That sounds harsh and we're talking about college kids here, so slack has to be given, but those are really the only excuses for typos. I know because I had that beaten into my head by a boss when was writing briefs as a law clerk. ("I am not a proof-reader" was his mantra)
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
            When I was in school the Collegian was a must-read when it came out.  Great articles, especially a humor piece written by a guy who's name escapes me right now.  We had our share of beers together, but his name must have been replaced by the name of Dora's cousin (Diago) or some other piece of info picked up while playing with my girls.  Anyway, a quality student newspaper is a big part of a good campus environment.  I hope things start looking up again.

One knock.  I don't think shotty equip would prevent someone from double-checking that NDSU was actually an away game.  That's either a result of indifference, rushing to print or being lazy.  That sounds harsh and we're talking about college kids here, so slack has to be given, but those are really the only excuses for typos.  I know because I had that beaten into my head by a boss when was writing briefs as a law clerk.  ("I am not a proof-reader" was his mantra)  
            Good points, I always looked forward to the Collegian. I think it could be a huge boost to the athletic programs if there was a strong focus on the DI competition and how is helps elevate the university as a whole. It would be nice if some committed journalism student could propose a gameday insert for each edition, at least for football at first. I would think this would be a nice spring board towards a career in sports journalism or otherwise. Maybe it would be a funding issue but there must be a way around that.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I to enjoyed the collegian while attending SDSU. They do a good job covering all the athletics and spreading the word about other campus events and such.

Comment

Working...
              X