Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana gets transfer

Quinn follows Bomar to I-AA, enrolls at MontanaESPN.com news services

MISSOULA, Mont. -- Former Oklahoma offensive lineman J.D. Quinn will enroll at Division I-AA Montana, assistant athletic director for media relations Dave Guffey said Tuesday.

If Quinn, who was dissmissed from the Sooners for violating NCAA rules, is declared eligible by the NCAA, he could play as early as this season. Players who transfer from Division I-A to Division I-AA programs do not lose a year of eligibility, unlike players who transfer between Division I-A programs.

Quinn and former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar, who has transferred to Sam Houston State, also a Division I-AA program, were dismissed earlier this month when the school found they violated NCAA rules by accepting money for work they didn't perform at a local car dealership.

The Grizzlies finished 8-4 last season, losing to Cal Poly in the first round of the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs.

Re: Montana gets transfer

Excuse me. If it is a violation of NCAA 1A rules that caused them to be dismissed at OU, wouldn't those same rules apply at NCAA 1-AA also. I'm not sure how they could be declared elgible.

Comment

The NCAA did not say they had to be removed from the OK team.  That was decided by OK administration and athletic program.

The violation was reported to the NCAA as a self discovered violation in hopes that the program itself would not need further penalties assigned to it.

Is is always a good day to ride.

Comment

I would imagine both players are setting up some playing time for next season. I can't imagine either school would have either player on their team this season for fear of a potential forfeit for playing with an inelligable player. Unless I'm missing something, that is.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Both schools have stated they are going to wait until the NCAA clears them to play for them, so if the NCAA says OK, they could be playing by the first game of the season. Unfortunately, just as with coaches, the penalty does not always follow the individual.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
          X