Tearing up the field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tearing up the field

Brookings Bobcats played the Mitchell Kernals tonight at Caughlin. Today, Brookings received 2" of rain and it will continue through the weekend. I hope they don't tear up the field too bad . I think now that we are a D1 program, we could kick the high school off the field and save it for ourselves. Yes, I know they paid for the lights a few years back. That's great. Thanks for the donation. We have a bigger video board because we didn't have to pay for the lights last year. I want to say that USC or OSU and all other D1 teams, don't let high school teams play on their field. Especially if they have natural turf.

Go Jacks... Beat Wisconsin LaCrosse

Re: Tearing up the field

Originally posted by SiouxFooJack
    Brookings Bobcats played the Mitchell Kernals tonight at Caughlin.  Today, Brookings received 2" of rain and it will continue through the weekend.  I hope they don't tear up the field too bad .  I think now that we are a D1 program, we could kick the high school off the field and save it for ourselves.  Yes, I know they paid for the lights a few years back.  That's great.  Thanks for the donation.  We have a bigger video board because we didn't have to pay for the lights last year.  I want to say that USC or OSU and all other D1 teams, don't let high school teams play on their field.  Especially if they have natural turf.
    I know this has been brought up on the board before and the weather forcast for the weekend is less than favorable for the playing surface, hosting two games in 24 hours. That being said I do not think the Brookings Bobcats will be kicked off anytime soon (if ever). Having BHS playing at Coughlin Alumni is a win/ win for SDSU and Brookings. It brings additional people to Campus(future students, alumni, parents etc). SDSU sells concessions and makes a little money during the games and do not forget I am sure part of the selling point to scoreboard sponsors was the fact the BHS plays up there better use of sponsorship dollars.

I am sure the field will be fine for the season as SDSU will be on the road for four straight weeks and only has four home games. I guess the better question I have is "With the weather forcast for the weekend does SDSU explore some sort of artificial surface for the future?" I would guess after the $20 million Campaign for scholarshis is finished a facilities capital campaign starts.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Wake up Sioux Foo Jack. Maybe the Jacks would like to kicked out of Bob Sheldon Field. Maybe they would want to be kicked off of the Fishback Soccer Complex. Yes, SiouxFool, those properties are owned by the Public High School and the city. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. SDSU, BHS, and the city of Brookings work very hard together to keep all of the teams playing at quality facilities.

Comment

SiouxFooJack:

We would not be playing night games at CAS if SDSU had not made a contract with BHS about playing games. I believe the Bobcat Backers and the city gave SDSU several thousand dollars in order to install the lights.  The turf look very good before the rain and the Jacks have practiced under the lights a few times too. So if we kick BHS off the field , they just might take their lights with them

Comment

It's been a while since the turf has been tested like this (3+ inches) but CAS has always drained really well. I talked to a couple of people in the AD and they didn't seem to worried about it! I was suprised to hear that they didn't have a tarp for the field. That would certainly take care of the issue.

The Bobcats are there to stay and they should be. That contract is why we are able to have the night games. However, if someone was to offer up a monster check to set BHS up with their own system at Bob Shelden it could possibly happen, but that money could be used in a lot better places.

Even though the weather looks rough, I can't wait to get up to "The Backyard" and get the season started! [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Brookings Bobcats played the Mitchell Kernals tonight at Caughlin.  Today, Brookings received 2" of rain and it will continue through the weekend.  I hope they don't tear up the field too bad .  I think now that we are a D1 program, we could kick the high school off the field and save it for ourselves.  Yes, I know they paid for the lights a few years back.  That's great.  Thanks for the donation.  We have a bigger video board because we didn't have to pay for the lights last year.  I want to say that USC or OSU and all other D1 teams, don't let high school teams play on their field.  Especially if they have natural turf.

Go Jacks...  Beat Wisconsin LaCrosse
            Ouch, is all I can say to Siouxfoo on this one. I can assure you this was debated and discussed at great length several years back when the lights were installed. The Bobcats are welcome at CAS and will be for the immediate future. You just have to accept that fact and if possible, embrace it.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think now that we are a D1 program, we could kick the high school off the field and save it for ourselves.  Yes, I know they paid for the lights a few years back.  That's great.  Thanks for the donation.  
              Ah, can't do that, part of the agreement for them paying for the lights was that they have the right to play their home games at CAS. Now if you want the Jacks to buy them out, then pony up the money, but remember, BHS won't agree to the buy-out unless it covers the cost of them getting another place ready for them to play. I think the money spent on that option could be better used to upgrade other facilitites on campus.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Wake up Sioux Foo Jack. Maybe the Jacks would like to kicked out of Bob Sheldon Field. Maybe they would want to be kicked off of the Fishback Soccer Complex. Yes, SiouxFool, those properties are owned by the Public High School and the city. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. SDSU, BHS, and the city of Brookings work very hard together to keep all of the teams playing at quality facilities.
                Is this the smack board? Always has to be one A hole who has to put down someone elses opinions to make himself feel better. 1bunnies, do you feel better now? Did you get it all out of your system?

All you other guys, thanks for the replies. I think this is a great site for alumn and fans to come together and discuss what's happening with the Jacks. Keep it up.

Go Jacks... Beat Wisconsin LaCrosse

Comment

haha... i play for the bobcats, we destroyed the field last night. this is why artificial turf would be decent in coughlin.

(destroyed is meant to be a hyperbole for effect and not the real truth.)

Comment

I don't have a problem with the Bobcats playing at CAS.  I agree with D-town this is an excellent chance to have additional people visit campus.  It would be nice not to have both of us scheduled to play at home the same week but not enough weeks in the fall to accomplish that.

Comment

After breakfast at Perkins this AM, I drove by CAS. From a distance the grass looks just fine. I think with only 4 home games, the BHS Bobcats will get the most use out of the field. Next year will be different and then by season end the condition will probably be an issue.

As of 10AM no tent in the Backyard had been erected, but there were two motor homes parked and ready for the tailgate. Are we turning into an Alabama/Auburn group of fans who come a week before the game to tailgate? It's okay with me.

The vacant property around CAS will without a doubt need much fill before any other facility can be built.
                      The water table around CAS is a big problem and is going to make development more costly. Years ago I asked Fred Oien if we could not dig the field down like they did in Missoula in order to add seating. I was told  that was nearly impossible because of the water table. Fred said we would love to do it though.

We would always be draining a swamp. Way back in the Backyard, a good crop of cat tails are evident. I think back in the 1950's when the site for the staduim was picked out, probably by the Staduim for State Committee and Pres Briggs, they had no clue that the water table would be that much of a problem and would add cost to development. In order to have higher ground you would have had to go north of the campus quite ways and then not sure if that would have worked either.

Comment

Is this the smack board?  Always has to be one A hole who has to put down someone elses opinions to make himself feel better.  1bunnies, do you feel better now?  Did you get it all out of your system?

All you other guys, thanks for the replies.  I think this is a great site for alumn and fans to come together and discuss what's happening with the Jacks.  Keep it up.

Go Jacks...    Beat Wisconsin LaCrosse
                        Now kids, lets not fight. Siouxfoo expressed an opinion that many of us have addressed before. Perhaps he/she was a bit inflammatory and deserved a little slap on the hand but lets not let this get out of hand. The issue is an important one and we will all be even more interested if a player is injured or the outcome of the game is affected by the poor field condition. If its that poor.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies

What is the point of a response like this ? The question was not out of bounds by no means but your response was.

Comment

I stopped by the field an hour ago mid-field is torn up pretty good. there's about 3 inches of water standing behind the south endzone. sidelines are a mess. there's a couple RV's in the back yard and theres a tent going up. I walked on the field and it is sloppy to say the best. over 4 and a half inches of rain in 24 hours is a sure test of the field surface.

Comment

I wish my inlaws in the center of the state could have gotten that rain instead of Brookings, or at least some of it.

I am desparately looking for a little radio to take to the President's Bowl tonight. If I can't find one, I will pick one up on my way since I that is the only way I will hear anything.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X