Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those in attendance, what the hell happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those in attendance, what the hell happened?

The title of the thread says it all. Sounds like we have one horrible FB team. Perhaps the sound of the game was deceptive. I really need to hear something from those in attendance about what was happening on the line of scrimmage.

Why could they move the ball at will? What about all the penalties? Am I overreacting?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Those in attendance, what the hell happened?

While I am waiting for a more objective opinion I'll rant about what I perceived.

Our line did not control either line of scrimmage. The non-scholarship DIII Eagles must be physically superior, better coached, and more eager than our scholarship earning lineman.

Koening was our only running option and he had to create his own holes.

QB is wide open and ripe for the taking. Who starts against Montana?

Penalties are stupid. They happen because of poor coaching and poor preparation. They are never acceptable.

It sounded like there were some dropped balls. Maybe these were bad passes. Imming implicated JeRon on several of these dropped balls. I won't do that but want some others opinions.

It seemed we should have stuck to the ground in the first half, especially inside the 5 yard line on 2nd down. Why the hell is Stig or whoever calling a pass play.

I'm obviously naive as I had SDSU winning by 40. I can't be any more disappointed.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

we turned the ball over too many times, we had no pass rush, they couldnt have had a better QB. it was ugly and embarressing. and i dont know we played like a piece of poop.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
        The title of the thread says it all. Sounds like we have one horrible FB team. Perhaps the sound of the game was deceptive. I really need to hear something from those in attendance about what was happening on the line of scrimmage.

Why could they move the ball at will? What about all the penalties? Am I overreacting?
        No, you're not overreacting. We have a horrible FB team. I had three things I was looking for:

1. Kardoes: I don't want to hear all the excuses about him that we got last year, over and over when he didn't perform worth a darn. He must be the greatest practice player in the history of football, because he wasn't one bit better tonight than he was last year. I heard a lot from everybody about how a healthy Kardoes would show me I was wrong about him. Um... he may be healthy, but a couple of other descriptors come to mind: Inaccurate. Poor decision-maker. And, I've held my tongue long enough: Is he a head case? The guy spends a lot of time on the sidelines off by himself moping, checking his uniform, or yelling at his line after he holds the ball too long and gets sacked. Terrible. If he starts next week, we will lost by 50. Berry wasn't much better, but at least he has some command of the entire offense (makes the throws on time, can make throws under duress). Berry can throw an accurate pass now and then. Stig waited too long to get Berry in tonight. Berry at least looks like a gamer. Kardoes looks clueless out there.

2. Speed: Who knows? We're probably very fast, but the field was a disaster (and no, that's not an excuse for Kardoes since La Crosse's QB seemed to handle it all right.) You couldn't see guys' feet. They were standing in 4" of mud the entire night. There was very little "grass" at all anywhere on the field. It certainly equalized the speed differential. My Dad has been watching SDSU football for 50-some years and has never seen Coughlin in worse shape.

3. Defense: Lots of subs in the defensive backfield tonight to no avail. Nobody covered anybody. Guys were running 20 or 30 yards across the field without anyone moving their direction. Our corners were dropping guys off to safeties who didn't arrive on time. Combine that with no pressure from the D-line (we pressured them, but only when we brought at least two guys on the blitz). Bad defense all the way around. I suppose the linebackers were fine, but who could tell since they were just standing between the no-pressure D-line and the no-coverage D-backs watching balls pass over their heads to settle softly in the arms of La Crosse receivers.

The offensive line struggled mightily against the imposing Wisconsin La Crosse defensive front (can you believe that). Or, to put it another way, our offensive tackles couldn't stop their slow, fat defensive ends from pressuring our QB.

Wow. I'm just stunned. That has got to be the worst loss in SDSU football history. Can anybody come up with a worse one? Have we ever lost to a DIII school?

I'm looking at the schedule right now. It is conceivable that we could start 0-8 this year. Central Arkansas is the next "gimme" game we have, and they were a very good D2 team last year moving up to 1AA.

Comment

2. Speed: Who knows? We're probably very fast, but the field was a disaster (and no, that's not an excuse for Kardoes since La Crosse's QB seemed to handle it all right.) You couldn't see guys' feet. They were standing in 4" of mud the entire night. There was very little "grass" at all anywhere on the field. It certainly equalized the speed differential. My Dad has been watching SDSU football for 50-some years and has never seen Coughlin in worse shape.

Exactly my point. If the High School team didn't play on the field the night before, a tarp could have been placed over the field and it may have been in a little better condition for the D1 team. Still, field conditions are no excuse for the Jacks not showing up at all tonight.

I wasn't at tonights game but, I didn't like Kardoes last year as the starting QB. I thought Berry did a better job last year after Kardoes out for the season.

I to wonder why Stig doesn't pound the ball on the ground. There were times last year that we were running all over people and Stig would decide to throw a pass. I say, Run the F*%(#'n Ball. We have always been a better run team than a pass team. Hope things turn around quickly for the Jacks.

Comment

Against a division III team you would figure you could just run basic offense and overwhelm them. Not pretty and you have a tough schedule. I don't think Montana is a good game to work out the kinks especially after they got it handed to them today by Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by jackphd
              Wow. I'm just stunned. That has got to be the worst loss in SDSU football history. Can anybody come up with a worse one? Have we ever lost to a DIII school?

I'm looking at the schedule right now. It is conceivable that we could start 0-8 this year. Central Arkansas is the next "gimme" game we have, and they were a very good D2 team last year moving up to 1AA.
              For some reason I think UW-LaCrosse has beaten us before. Did I hear that on the pre-game show? Not only did we pay those guys to come to Brookings put the stole our pants in the process and left us with our butts hanging out. My neighbor who played for Stevens Pointe is not going to let me hear the end of this. He has stated time and time again that DIII Wisconsin football could compete with any NCC, NSIC, etc DII scholarship program. This only gives him more ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                QB is wide open and ripe for the taking. Who starts against Montana?

Penalties are stupid. They happen because of poor coaching and poor preparation. They are never acceptable.

It sounded like there were some dropped balls. Maybe these were bad passes. Imming implicated JeRon on several of these dropped balls. I won't do that but want some others opinions.

It seemed we should have stuck to the ground in the first half, especially inside the 5 yard line on 2nd down. Why the hell is Stig or whoever calling a pass play.
                QB cannot be Kardoes. We cannot win when we have to overcome his shortcomings (inaccuracy) and mistakes (bad decisions and interceptions.) I don't care if he looks like Tarvaris Jackson in practice. He's Mike McMahon on game day.

The penalties were frustrating. The first 15-yarder was really upsetting because a handful of plays before Gentile had been pulled aside and warned by the refs. Next chance he got, and he had to know they were watching him, he did it again. 15 yards. Jeez.

Our receivers weren't very good, but I'm not sure I would fault them for all those drops. JaRon made a good effort on the long Berry pass, but it was a tough catch. I remember a couple of drops, but they seemed kind of understandable given the conditions.

Regarding the ground game: I don't get it either. I think it's all related to the coaching staff's fixation on getting Kardoes going. When he's in, they seem to want to make him be a playmaker. I don't think it works when you're pressing to get somebody to make a big play (recall the Randy Ratio?) It's like they have a Kardoes Ratio and they forget that when you put together three four-yard runs you have a first down.

Comment

Originally posted by kchats
                  Against a division III team you would figure you could just run basic offense and overwhelm them. Not pretty and you have a tough schedule. I don't think Montana is a good game to work out the kinks especially after they got it handed to them today by Iowa.

I'll say. La Crosse beat us with a decent QB, a bunch of slow receivers, and a determination to pass. Montana has a D1 transfer QB and a D1 transfer receiver who made some big plays on the road at Kinnick Stadium today. Yikes.

Comment

Does UWL do the two step passing game? Quick passes like extended handoffs?

Comment

Originally posted by kchats
                      Does UWL do the two step passing game? Quick passes like extended handoffs?
                      Mostly they slide the pocket around and hit guys on crossing routes. The ball wasn't coming out that quickly.

Comment

I was at the game and immediately went to the liquor store afterwards...... > > >

We had too many mental errors and absolutely NO sense of urgency on offense throughout the game. We had ONE nice play on offense (Koenig's 41-yard run) and always shot ourselves in the foot. The defense played a little better, but were unable to make the huge plays/

I think we played looking ahead to Montana and had NO desire to use the full playbook. It seemed like that we were more concerned about avoiding injuries. That attitude might be acceptable in a preseason NFL game, but that's NOT how college football is played.

The countdown to basketball season begins now.......43 days until practice begins!!!

Comment

Sounds like tonights game was a good way to reduce season attendence for the rest of the year. I hope that it was a blip on the radar screen and they at least play as well as they did last season. Us Bison fans want SDSU to win most of the games on their schedule since the Great West looks better that way.

Comment

Well, as I said in another thread, about the best we can hope for now is that La Crosse goes undefeated and wins the Division III championship.

That way this loss will still be embarrassing, but not quite the total debacle it looks like right now.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Was at the game tonight..i seriously feel like throwing up...yes the field was a mess..that is no excuse...a lot of work to do before next week

Comment

Working...
                              X