Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana

After the Wisconsin-La Crosse debacle, Montana becomes the biggest game of the year for this Jackrabbits football team. This one game could make or break the season.

The Jacks don't necessarily have to win, but they do need to play well enough to re-earn the respect they lost in the Coughlin-Alumni mud. A win in Missoula would erase the Disaster in the Dreck from everyone's memories.

Montana, for their part, will be eager to get back home after playing Iowa fairly well into the third quarter until the Big 10 team put them away. After last year's close 7-0 win, they will not be overlooking the Jackrabbits, even given the dreadful showing the Jackrabbits gave in their first outing.

Was the La Crosse game a fluke or a true indicator of this year's Jackrabbit football squad?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Montana

I think defense will be key. As in last years game, I don't expect the Jacks to score much, but if they can't shut down the run and hold the pass in check they can stay in this game. The offense will at least need to put some drives together.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
      I think defense will be key. As in last years game, I don't expect the Jacks to score much, but if they can't shut down the run and hold the pass in check they can stay in this game. The offense will at least need to put some drives together.
      Montana made some good plays in the passing game against a really good Iowa defense. I'm thinking the Griz are improved this year from last, which was a bit down from prior years (as down as they get... they didn't get to a title game.)

Comment

Originally posted by jackphd
        Montana made some good plays in the passing game against a really good Iowa defense. I'm thinking the Griz are improved this year from last, which was a bit down from prior years (as down as they get... they didn't get to a title game.)

It might be just a little to early to know if the Griz are an improvement over the '05 team. Iowa didn't exactly bring out the Griz strengths. I will give you that they appear to be much different. Being without Lex Hilliard certainly changes the complexion of the Griz offense. The other thing that sticks out at me is the players seem beefier, bigger and stronger. The new weight and conditioning coach seems to really have made a difference.

Comment

Preview of the upcoming game:

http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi...ax=1&-find

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by elkmcc
            It might be just a little to early to know if the Griz are an improvement over the '05 team.
            Very true. We're as nervious as any other fans for the first few games, and recently we've had reason to be even more nervous, and for more than a couple games. But, we are rearmed and bulked, and even minus Lex (whom, you may remember, made the only score against you last time), it seems we're pretty well stocked. Interesting dynamic for each of our teams, coming off big losses. Heck, maybe we should just say: "No Injuries!", and hope for a good game. It'll be good to see some of your fans back in Missoula.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
              After the Wisconsin-La Crosse debacle, Montana becomes the biggest game of the year for this Jackrabbits football team.  This one game could make or break the season.

The Jacks don't necessarily have to win, but they do need to play well enough to re-earn the respect they lost in the Coughlin-Alumni mud.  A win in Missoula would erase the Disaster in the Dreck from everyone's memories.

Montana, for their part, will be eager to get back home after playing Iowa fairly well into the third quarter until the Big 10 team put them away.  After last year's close 7-0 win, they will not be overlooking the Jackrabbits, even given the dreadful showing the Jackrabbits gave in their first outing.

Was the La Crosse game a fluke or a true indicator of this year's Jackrabbit football squad?

I'm not a football player so my logic may be off, but isn't your next game always the biggest game of the year.  I'm not trying to beat you up filbert, but I think that is the mentality that got us in trouble last weekend and I have no doubt that this coaching staff will NEVER look past an opponent again!

I personally think it was a fluke and I pray that I am right on that!  I look forward to SDSU giving Montana a heck of a game.  

Oh, what the hell!  SDSU 27, Montana 24!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I am way out on a limb here, but voted for the "Heck" option. We need to be brave and optimistic.

Comment

What I mean is that if the Jacks simply don't show up mentally and get blown out, this season is pretty much over. Each subsequent game will be that much harder to get up for (for players and fans) than the last one. It will be a vicious spiral which could lead to a truly ugly season.

If they show up in Missoula and play well, even if they lose, then that's something the team can build on, and the fans can hold on to.

What took a huge hit last Saturday was the sense of hope in Jackrabbitville. Maybe we're all overreacting. But regardless, hope needs to be restored. The only ones who can do that are the players and the coaches, by performing well (win or lose) at Montana.

That's what I mean about the Montana game being the most important one. This game will determine how the rest of the season will go. Will it be a season of redemption, or a season of frustration? The Montana game will set the tone.

I want to see the Jackrabbits show up on Saturday and play smart, hit hard, and give it their best shot. That's really about all you can ask of them, anyway.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

AMEN FILBY! I have spoken to a few players since the debacle and they all echo that message. It was hard for them to get over but by Monday the focus was on forward not back.

Comment

Originally posted by no1uno
                      [quote author=elkmcc link=1157254809/0#3 date=1157311959]It might be just a little to early to know if the Griz are an improvement over the '05 team.
                      Very true. We're as nervious as any other fans for the first few games, and recently we've had reason to be even more nervous, and for more than a couple games. But, we are rearmed and bulked, and even minus Lex (whom, you may remember, made the only score against you last time), it seems we're pretty well stocked. Interesting dynamic for each of our teams, coming off big losses. Heck, maybe we should just say: "No Injuries!", and hope for a good game. It'll be good to see some of your fans back in Missoula.
                      [/quote]

From what I saw, the Griz have a good quarterback and at least one outstanding receiver. They got within 10 of Iowa before the Hawks woke up. Everything I have read on the Iowa fan boards and Iowa City media says the Griz made a very good showing and earned a lot of respect. This would be a tough one for the Jackrabbits even if their confidence was soaring. I hope the Jacks go into Missoula with a big chip on their shoulders.

Comment

I'm in with the Give 'em HECK option, too. Let's do it.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                          I am way out on a limb here, but voted for the "Heck" option. We need to be brave and optimistic.

It will be interesting to see the approach of the offense. Looking for some balance between run and pass. Will need to establish run first (cliche I know). I think Montana is improved offensively and expect them to put up more than the 7 points we held them to last year.

I am always expecting the best effort when the Jacks take the field. All I have is last weeks performance to help me predict what will happen this week. That said, I don't see how we compete with a tradition-rich, top 6 team on their home field after losing at home to UW-L.

There is a big difference between support, expectation, optimism, reality and unrealism. Reality is we lost to a much lesser team than Montana at CAS last week.

Good Luck Jacks I'll be watching every snap.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I for one would like to see us come out passing the first couple downs. Nothing would put Montana on their heals like a 10 play drive consisting of nice crisp passes. It wouldn't even need to result in points on the board. Just get a couple first downs. That would put the defense on their heals for a while. Maybe just long enough to establish the run and possibly the lead. If that makes sense.

The game plan that I still remember as a player was a time down at UNO. They had a great option attack and we prepared all week for it. We start out the game and Thompson starts chucking the ball around. We eventually stopped them after about 40 yards and without any points, but the table was set. We now had to worry about the pass when that was the least of our worries. Element of surprise. Sometimes I feel like we're too easy to prepare for.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                              I'm in with the Give 'em HECK option, too.
                              How do I go back into the poll and remove that option?

Comment

Working...
                              X