Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to get more students interested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to get more students interested?

I know there were a lot of students at the game against LaCrosse but I was hoping for a lot more.  I am afraid that if we don't do well against some upcoming teams and we start 1-4 or God forbid 0-5 that much of student support will be over in the dorms playing John Madden fb or drinking beer or whatever they do over there.  I drive an hour to the games from Sioux Falls and enjoy myself but yet a lot of the students don't care enough to walk across the parking lot to watch a fb game.  Maybe it is just a sign of the times and maybe my memory  has faded but it seemed like 30 or 40 years ago there were a lot more students at Jack fb games than attend these days.  Maybe things will get better once we get more established in D1 and develop some rivalries but a lot of the students don't seem as interested in jack sports as this alum is.  Seems like they are missing a fun part of the college experience.

Re: Is it possible to get more students interested

well it was a 3 day weekend and a lot of kids went home even though it was a first week. thats the only excuse i had from friends who didnt want to go to the game. this is kind of a call out. I think we would all rather have passionate fans than have students who just go there for the social aspect. all said it was sad there wasn't many there even though it was free. but the student section was pretty pack from what i saw from the north endzone. the north side of the stands was kinda barren.

Comment

and if you have ideas of how to get more students pass them on to me in a message, i am in the promotions department at least once a week talking to them guys giving them feed back and ideas about stuff.

Comment

I walked into the union today and some of the marketing staff was there handing out yellow tshirts to the students and getting names. I guess they have worked some kind of promo with cubbies for specials after the games for people in their yellow tshirts. I was in there for about a half an hour and there were always about 20 people in line waiting to get their tshirts.

Comment

actually that was the start up of the jacks fanatics fan club. cubbies stepped up big time and is going to sponsor the student section and give 5 dollar discounts to anyone who wears those shirts into Cubbys. it's really a sweet deal.

Comment

If I remember right, there was a rumor of sorts a couple years back to let SDSU be a wet campus. I can't say that I would be totally for or against the idea but, selling beer in the stadium would surely attract more students and raise a lot of money. Does UNC still sell beer at their FB games? It seems the opening of the BackYard has attracted more people in general. Of course, the best part about the BackYard is the oppertunity to consume alcoholic beverages before, during halftime, and after the games. If the campus police could keep things in line then I say, "party on Wayne." :-?

Comment

Some thoughts: Labor Day hurt at the opener, no doubt. And losing to a D-III school and not giving Monana a game will hurt more. What can be done? I only have two-bit thoughts:
              1) Schedule USD. That will do it, no questions asked. It would also require the administration swallowing a lot of pride.
              2) Form a student fan club or group with shirts and perks at games. The cowbells are catching on. Maybe they can be worked in somehow. It'd take time to work up the traditions. Maybe The Pride could be involved somehow ... marching part of the way across campus?
              3) Make a portion of the Back Yard for students. Right now, I think, most students think of it as an out-of-the-way place where alumni go to drink beer. Free food would do it. I mean just for students. And something as simple as hot dogs. Students love free food.
              4) No more D-III or NAIA opponents. Can't blame them for passing on those games.
              5) Competitions. Maybe select somebody and they attempt a 35-yard field goal and if they make it, somebody covers their books for a semester.
              6) Broadcast games -- and the pre-game hoopla -- on campus ... at the union ... on speakers outside ... in dorm lounges ... anywhere that will get students' attention.
              I guess those are my thoughts ... for what they're worth.

Comment

Originally posted by jivebunny
                Some thoughts: Labor Day hurt at the opener, no doubt. And losing to a D-III school and not giving Monana a game will hurt more. What can be done? I only have two-bit thoughts:
                1) Schedule USD. That will do it, no questions asked. It would also require the administration swallowing a lot of pride.
                2) Form a student fan club or group with shirts and perks at games. The cowbells are catching on. Maybe they can be worked in somehow. It'd take time to work up the traditions. Maybe The Pride could be involved somehow ... marching part of the way across campus?
                3) Make a portion of the Back Yard for students. Right now, I think, most students think of it as an out-of-the-way place where alumni go to drink beer. Free food would do it. I mean just for students. And something as simple as hot dogs. Students love free food.
                4) No more D-III or NAIA opponents. Can't blame them for passing on those games.
                5) Competitions. Maybe select somebody and they attempt a 35-yard field goal and if they make it, somebody covers their books for a semester.
                6) Broadcast games -- and the pre-game hoopla -- on campus ... at the union ... on speakers outside ... in dorm lounges ... anywhere that will get students' attention.
                I guess those are my thoughts ... for what they're worth.
                1. is not gonna happen for a long time.
                2. is already happening Jacks Fanatics is making a comeback this year.
                3. there already is a part of the back yard that is mainly students.
                4. exhibition games of local schools are to draw these guys to our campus.
                5. sponsors have say in what happens when they pay 25,000 or more to sponsor a game they pick the entertainment. trust me i've talked with micah in the promotions department about this one even at our little meeting last wednesday we talked about this.
                6. that might be possible but i don't know the logistics of that one occuring.

Comment

Working...
                X