If someone new, then who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If someone new, then who?

Someone mentioned in an earlier post about Stig having to go. I don't think so, but if there was a change, who could take over? Someone with IAA ties? there has to be someone out there

Re: If someone new, then who?

Hire an assistant from a top I-AA program or I-A program.

Comment

My statement was "this is the kind of game that gets coaches fired."

I don't relish the thought, but at some point you have to start wondering. For me, tonight was that point. I wonder why our team was apparently so unprepared for tonight's game. The job of preparing a team is the head coach's. There is a logical conclusion to be drawn there. And I really hate to draw that conclusion. I hope to hell we see an entirely different team next week in Missoula.

I don't know.

I have no answers, only questions.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
        My statement was "this is the kind of game that gets coaches fired."

I don't relish the thought, but at some point you have to start wondering. For me, tonight was that point. I wonder why our team was apparently so unprepared for tonight's game. The job of preparing a team is the head coach's. There is a logical conclusion to be drawn there. And I really hate to draw that conclusion. I hope to hell we see an entirely different team next week in Missoula.

I don't know.

I have no answers, only questions.
        Look at the upcoming schedule: Montana, UNI, McNeese and Nicholls. That's potentially an 0-5 start. Central Arkansas should be a winnable game, but they're probably a good bit better than La Crosse, so who knows. 1-5 or 0-6 at that point. Then Cal Poly and UC-Davis, games that, right now, look unwinnable (1-7 or 0-8). Finally, we then get William Penn to go 2-7 or 1-8.) Then two road games to finish up. We're looking at a possible 2-9 season with the only certain winnable games against William Penn, Central Arkansas and (I suppose) at SUU to go 3-8.

That would be our worst record since 1990 when Wayne Haensel's last team went 3-8. To find a 2-win season, you have to go back to 1970 and Dean Pryor, who lasted another year after that. We had a 1-win season in 1909, but that was a four-game season. We're talking potentially historic futility here unless things turn around completely very quickly.

Even if we get back to our competitive but not overwhelming level of performance like last year, we could lose those next four, steal one from one of the California schools and end up a still 4-7. Ugh.

When does WBB season start?

Comment

I cannot bring myself to participate fully in this post after only one game. It was embarrassing last night, but I am hoping we will be pleasantly surprised in at least one of the next few weeks. If at that time things have not changed I do have someone in mind, and I will add that Dr. Oien and the new president would not look too far from Brookings.

Comment

Lending 5 players to the basketball program has to be worth something. I know for a fact that Fred Oien has a great deal of respect for Coach Stig. This one game without question is embarrassing. I sure Stig and Fred will have discussions, but I dont think  a coaching change will happen over this one game.

With a new president, things could change. Peggy was very upbeat at the game last night.  At half time she must have gotten checks for about 5 million dollars from various crop groups around the state, plus she got money for the new seed lab building. I sure she was surpised to about the outcome of the game but I dont think she is going fire anyone on her way out the retirement door.

I think we need to see how the rest of the season unfolds. I dont think SDSU is that bad, and UW-Lacrosse, though senior dominated is probably not that good. They probably will lose to Platteville or Whitewater or anyone in that conference. Also they play Azuza Pacific which is a very good NAIA team. We will be okay

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue
              I cannot bring myself to participate fully in this post after only one game.  It was embarrassing last night, but I am hoping we will be pleasantly surprised in at least one of the next few weeks.  If at that time things have not changed I do have someone in mind, and I will add that Dr. Oien and the new president would not look too far from Brookings.
              What are you thinking, why don't you just come out and say it rather than beat around the bush.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue
                I cannot bring myself to participate fully in this post after only one game. It was embarrassing last night, but I am hoping we will be pleasantly surprised in at least one of the next few weeks. If at that time things have not changed I do have someone in mind, and I will add that Dr. Oien and the new president would not look too far from Brookings.
                Hmmm. Could trublue be referring to Eric Eidsness at SMSU?

Comment

How about Bill Snyder? I hear he's available.

With the light of day, what I really want to know is what our current coaching staff is going to do to address the preparation and the discipline issues which were so apparent last night.

Just "taking responsibility" isn't enough. Those two words are meaningless unless they are immediately followed by changes in how business is done.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here's a whacked out, crazy idea...

Forget college... we want someone with tradition... who knows what it takes to build a winning program. It doesn't have to be in the college ranks. I'm thinking we have a couple of great coaches in the high school ranks. Men who know all about building a culture of winning and instilling that in their players.

My choices for SDSU's next head coach are Jim Uttecht of West Central and Steve Kueter of Sioux Falls O'Gorman.
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

jackrabit1, you have a very vaild point there. SDSU has gone over 40 years without a football conference championship and has seemed to settle for five-to-seven wins in a season for seemingly forever. If SDSU was to change its coaching staff, I think it would be necessary to get someone who has a track record of building a championship-calibar program. Currently, SDSU fans tend to do the tailgating and the football experience until Hobo Day, after which the attention turns to basketball season. We need to have frequent playoff pushes if we're ever to fill the stadium after Hobo Day.

I like Coach Stig and am not campaigning for a change, even though some have questioned if he's a D-1 caliber coach. I just think that a poor season this year and a change in SDSU's leadership could result in some changes, some of which could make Jackrabbit fans VERY uneasy.

Comment

Coyote fans will love this, but what about Ed Mierkort?

1) He's an SDSU grad (M.A. 1987 in Athletic Adminstration).

2) He turned around Wis. Stout's program.

3) He's turning around USD's program.

Comment

Certainly, supporters of the move to D1 and all it entails realize that transition from one level to the next takes time, it takes recruiting years, and it takes money and scholarships. However, there will come a time when all of the coaches which helped transition the University will have to come under scrutiny as to whether or not they are out of their depth at this level. Some, such as Aaron Johnston, have already proven they aren't, but both Stig and Nagy are, as of yet, question marks. I think they should be given time, but the question is how much time is reasonable?

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak
                            Certainly, supporters of the move to D1 and all it entails realize that transition from one level to the next takes time, it takes recruiting years, and it takes money and scholarships. However, there will come a time when all of the coaches which helped transition the University will have to come under scrutiny as to whether or not they are out of their depth at this level. Some, such as Aaron Johnston, have already proven they aren't, but both Stig and Nagy are, as of yet, question marks. I think they should be given time, but the question is how much time is reasonable?
                            Nagy's got a lot of capital to spend since he put together great teams for many years in D2. Stig has one 8-win season, one 7-win season then a bunch of 6-5s and 5-6s. He doesn't have as much slack to play with based on his past record, at least in my mind. It seemed like we were making progress, and I was on the bandwagon. But when you think about it, we have very few quality wins in D1AA. Southern. NDSU. UC-Davis. I count three quality wins in two years. I don't see much potential for more this year.

I like the way Stig runs his program. He stresses academics and character and as a professor I appreciate that. I can live with that along with competitive teams and 6 or 7 wins. But I can't live with 2- or 3-win seasons. We could possibly be there this year.

If he can turn this group around and take one or two of the next four (a very difficult road) they have a chance to salvage the season. Otherwise, it could be very ugly.

One other thing: Football is a very expensive part of a D1 program. With (soon) 63 scholarships and a large coaching staff, it's a big ticket item. It has to bring in at least some revenue. We're going to see some small crowds unless we put a good product on the field.

Comment

Stig will have the rest of this season to prove his position, although it may be decided in the next 3-5 games.

Looking at his record, it is very similar to almost all the Big Sky coaches. I think everyone was to blame yesterday, even the weather and field.

If it makes anyone feel any better, it was a crazy day yesterday. Texas State, who I thought would win it all last year, almost lost to Tarleton St. A D2 team, I've never heard of. I've always been impressed with W.Lacrosse and this is why the game is played.

We need some close games and a win or two in the next 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X