Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will big payouts become fewer?

Quote from Haldersham on Yesterday at 8:20am:
    You got to admit this is a very crazy season so far. Montana State upsets Colorado and then goes home to a loss to Chadron State. UND beats UNI.

Delta State nips Stephen A Austin. New Hampshire takes care of B10 Northwestern. There are others too. So draw your own conclusions.

I pulled the above quote from a different thread and lost the box.  Sorry about that.

When one considers all of the "upsets" by lower division teams over teams which should be superior, and considering that the upper division team has quite likely paid good cash to host and defeat the lower division team, is there any danger that the upper division teams will be less likely to offer big cash payouts for early season home games against lower division teams?

Re: Will big payouts become fewer?

Originally posted by West-River_Jack
    Quote from Haldersham on Yesterday at 8:20am:
    You got to admit this is a very crazy season so far. Montana State upsets Colorado and then goes home to a loss to Chadron State. UND beats UNI.

Delta State nips Stephen A Austin. New Hampshire takes care of B10 Northwestern. There are others too. So draw your own conclusions.

I pulled the above quote from a different thread and lost the box.  Sorry about that.

When one considers all of the "upsets" by lower division teams over teams which should be superior, and considering that the upper division team has quite likely paid good cash to host and defeat the lower division team, is there any danger that the upper division teams will be less likely to offer big cash payouts for early season home games against lower division teams?
    I doubt it. It is a seller's market right now. The big I-A schools need us to fill out their home schedules if they want more home games than away games. This is especially true with the 12 game seasons. And we are still cheaper to bring in than the smaller I-a schools.

Doc

Comment

I agree, it's doubtful. FBS teams need to win six games to be bowl-eligible, and even with recent upsets, it's easier to get one of those wins against a FCS team than another FBS team.

Plus, I would not be surprised if it's cheaper to bring an FCS team in than a lower-tier FBS team.

(FBS=Football Bowl Subdivision, FCS=Football Championship Subdivision . . . just trying to get people out of the I-A/I-AA mindest . . . )
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

They are still upsets and the overall percentage is low. Besides the big payouts come from the big dogs that get upset even less: Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota etc.

Comment

I would tend to agree with McNeese. We only have to look south to Lincoln Nebraska. Memorial staduim has added seating and now seats about 81k and they are not short on home games. UNL would never settle for a four game home season.

Nichols State one of our opponents got a real check from the UNL for a game. Nichols I heard lost their good QB for the season on the first series. This is what we have to look out for when we play Iowa State and Minnesota. Fortunately the Minnesota game is late in the season.

I happen to be in range of the Chadron radio station on Monday. Chadron rode the bus to Bozeman. Nine hour so what ever they got paid will probably go into the bank. The radio guy said that on Chadron's campus  the game Saturday was as big as the win in 1925 over the Colorado Buffalos. Chadron was worried about losing this coming week to Wayne State Nebr, as it would mean that they are equal to UNL since they beat the team, Chadron, who beat the team, Montanat State, that Beat Colorado. If Nebraska loses to Colorado, then Wayne state can say they are the best team in Nebraska.  What follows the upsets is the crazy logic proposed by fans like you and me. ;D

Comment

Working...
          X