Stadium?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stadium?

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but a show of hands of those who think Coughlin-Alumni needs to be replaced? The place is a dump. It certainly can't help recruiting. The west grandstand looks like mass casualties waiting to happen and the concourse reminds me of a dank big city alley. The east grandstand wood flexes more than a diving board. The trailer houses that serve as offices and training rooms are laughable. Coughlin-Alumni was one of the worst football facilities in the NCC, and now is probably one of the worst in all of I-AA. I know money is tight, but something has got to happen to that place. Commitment to a new and improved Coughlin-Alumni would go a long ways towards showing that State is serious about fielding competitive football teams year in and year out. Who from our recruiting base would think SDSU is a top notch program when they are visiting such places as the FargoDome, Alerus Center, UNI Dome, etc. I'm not saying State needs a dome, but a presentable football home would be nice.

Re: Stadium?

I agee CAS needs some major updating. Major-Major.

Comment

all I can say is thank God we have a brand new performing arts center.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

While CAS probably doesn't meet the currents standards viz. the purported need to have state-of-the-art everything for sports (what else is there?), I disagree that the place is dump. Using the NCC as an example, I still maintain that CAS was the best venue in the conference (natural grass with nobody else playing on it). My thoughts on the latter point are well established. Outside of the astroturf fields from the late 80s, what else was available? Howard Wood? St Cloud's old prison yard? Now those are/were dumps!

In all fairness, the Performing Arts Center gets a whole lot more use than CAS's 4-6 State games each year (and even including BHS and whatever other local high schools will eventually be playing there...)

Comment

I would agree about CAS not being a dump. And my shot at the performing arts center was an attempt at sarcasm. You know I don't let a little thing like facts get in the way. In my head, the performing arts center sits lifeless while the football field toils. Everything works out much better for complaining purposes that way.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

One last thing. The locker rooms are a dump and it's embarrassing that the opposing team has to walk from the HPER. If anything needs to be fixed, it's that.

Comment

I've actually thought much has been done to spruce up CAS in the short term. Think back 3 years ago and quite a bit has been done with frugle spending:

paved under the grandstands
              new restrooms
              new scoreboards
              new signage
              new parking lots
              tailgaiting area

It all takes time and I'm content at the moment. I think a new stadium is definetly long-term. Maybe new field turf is in the distant future, but as long as it doesn't turn into a mudpit again, that's fine. Maybe tarp will do.

Comment

MJA:

Agreed on the locker rooms. That should be the first priority. As to your sarcasm, I was too busy muddling through the irony of allowing the local high school to play on one's college field and then complaining about the field condition to notice.

Comment

The funny thing about this thread is there are updates planned to happen in the next few years to make CAS look ten times better than it currently does. But thanks for bringing up this topic to remind us. Look at the football media guide it shows what they want the new facilities to be for CAS and it looks pretty dang cool.

Comment

I remember when I was a ballboy for the team 25 years ago thinking that the locker room was a dump and not much has changes since then. The locker room and the offices are what needs to be addressed as much as anything and that is part of the long term plans for the next 5-10 years.

I have always thought that CAS was a great place to watch a game and with the improvements over the last three years it has been tremendously improved from A FAN'S STANDPOINT. I can see where it does leave a lot to desire as far as recruiting goes but I trust the Administration to address it.

I can't help but think about Stig having to say "Come on over to my trailer and we'll visit." Compare that to a beautiful office overlooking the field at the Fargo Dome, which would you choose? Sure, Stig has an office in the HPER but you get my drift.

On the other hand, all of the other facilities at SDSU are being addressed or are at a high level and I challenge you to find a better place to watch a game than Frost Arena! CAS is definitely deserving of being next in line!

SUPERBUNNY

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                      The funny thing about this thread is there are updates planned to happen in the next few years to make CAS look ten times better than it currently does.  But thanks for bringing up this topic to remind us.  Look at the football media guide it shows what they want the new facilities to be for CAS and it looks pretty dang cool.

What page? I only found current pictures and the proposed Student Athletic Development Center and you can't see any detail.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                        The funny thing about this thread is there are updates planned to happen in the next few years to make CAS look ten times better than it currently does. But thanks for bringing up this topic to remind us. Look at the football media guide it shows what they want the new facilities to be for CAS and it looks pretty dang cool.
                        I guess I can't find what you're talking about in the media guide. Are you talking about the schematics on pg 10? If so, that looks like the long forgotten plans for a fieldhouse (I believe the one that was supposed to have been underway in '98). I do believe that particular plan was to have been located on the east side of the stadium and featured grandstands attached to the building. I did not see anything on pg 83 that talked about improvements to CAS.

As far as NCC facilities go, I can think of several past and existing stadiums that are better venues than CAS. Old Memorial Stadium in Grand Forks and Blakesly Field in Mankato comes to mine. I believe Blakesly has always been grass surfaced, too. St. Cloud St has a new stadium. Howard Wood, although not technically Augie's, is a nicer facility than Coughlin. I guess if I compare CAS to other football facilities, I can't point to another similar program that has worst facilities around here. Say what you will about indoor football, but the Fargo Dome and Alerus Center are a heck of a lot nicer than CAS. And as for outdoor stadiums, CAS is no Washington-Grizzly or Bobcat Stadium.

Comment

it's embarrassing that the opposing team has to walk from the HPER
                          I have seen some of the conditions the football team has been in the last three years and let me tell you, the walk from the HPER isn't that big of a deal.
                          To name a few:
                          The walk at Southern was twice as long and you had to make it through the fans coming to the game.

The guest locker room at Montana is a long walk up a tunnel then through a small parking lot and then down another long tunnel to the field. Definitely longer than the walk from the HPER.

At Davis the walk was pretty similar to the HPER walk as was the walk at Poly.

Actually, I think we do too nice of a job hosting the visiting teams. They have a huge locker room at the HPER with a seperate training room.

Any former players remember dressing under the stands at the old St. Cloud field?

And just in the last few years the facilities for visitors at Georgia Southern, Southern Utah, Montana State (to just name a few) were very far from adequate (The trainers taped in the shower before games, players were piled on top of each other trying to dress etc).
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Simple solution.....$75+ million. Anyone know any good bank robbers?

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                              I remember when I was a ballboy for the team 25 years ago thinking that the locker room was a dump and not much has changes since then. The locker room and the offices are what needs to be addressed as much as anything and that is part of the long term plans for the next 5-10 years.

I have always thought that CAS was a great place to watch a game and with the improvements over the last three years it has been tremendously improved from A FAN'S STANDPOINT. I can see where it does leave a lot to desire as far as recruiting goes but I trust the Administration to address it.

I can't help but think about Stig having to say "Come on over to my trailer and we'll visit." Compare that to a beautiful office overlooking the field at the Fargo Dome, which would you choose? Sure, Stig has an office in the HPER but you get my drift.

On the other hand, all of the other facilities at SDSU are being addressed or are at a high level and I challenge you to find a better place to watch a game than Frost Arena! CAS is definitely deserving of being next in line!

SUPERBUNNY

I agree that Frost is a great Basketball arena. There are area schools with newer and shinier arenas than Frost, but none with the atmosphere. The big difference with CAS is that while Frost drips with atmosphere, CAS is lifeless.

The east side trailer houses our embarrassing.

I know this is mostly moot, anyway, due to lack of funds. But it doesn't hurt to talk about it. Without any mention, there isn't much possibility of a deep pocketed donor laying down some healthy seed money for a new CAS.

Comment

Working...
                              X