Nicholls State Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholls State Game

How dis-interested are SDSU fans at this point? It's Wednesday of game week and not one bit of talk about this Saturday's game.

I'll get things started here by saying - Go State!
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Re: Nicholls State Game

I'm looking forward to this game, it's the Jacks best shot since UW-L and until UCA at getting a W. It's still early in the season to really know how good a lot of these teams are, especially with the lower and upper divisional play. Nicholls st. is a good team though and a Win is needed on the road.

Even with the banged up Oline I'd like to see the running game we were used to last year.

Comment

anyone know what sort of offensive attack Nichols State employs?
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Based on YTD stats, they are a running team. Not sure what time of offensive sets they use though.

(from the Nicholls St web site http://www.colonelsports.com/2006%20...s/teamcume.htm)
        2006 Nicholls Football
                    Nicholls Overall Team Statistics (as of Sep 18, 2006)
                                          All games

TEAM STATISTICS                        NICH          OPP
        --------------------------------------------------------
        SCORING.......................           63           87
         Points Per Game.............         21.0         29.0
        FIRST DOWNS...................           35           65
         Rushing.....................           26           34
         Passing.....................            7           27
         Penalty.....................            2            4
        RUSHING YARDAGE...............          523         533
         Yards gained rushing........          628          618
         Yards lost rushing..........          105           85
         Rushing Attempts............          144          133
         Average Per Rush............          3.6          4.0
         Average Per Game............        174.3        177.7
         TDs Rushing.................            7            6
        PASSING YARDAGE...............          149          546
         Att-Comp-Int................       18-7-0      74-46-3
         Average Per Pass............          8.3          7.4
         Average Per Catch...........         21.3         11.9
         Average Per Game............         49.7        182.0
         TDs Passing.................            1            6
        TOTAL OFFENSE.................          672         1079
         Total Plays.................          162          207
         Average Per Play............          4.1          5.2
         Average Per Game............        224.0        359.7
        KICK RETURNS: #-YARDS.........       12-210        7-163
        PUNT RETURNS: #-YARDS.........         3-21       10-145
        INT RETURNS: #-YARDS..........         3-76          0-0
        KICK RETURN AVERAGE...........         17.5         23.3
        PUNT RETURN AVERAGE...........          7.0         14.5
        INT RETURN AVERAGE............         25.3          0.0
        FUMBLES-LOST..................         13-7          8-6
        PENALTIES-YARDS...............       18-128       18-233
         Average Per Game............         42.7         77.7
        PUNTS-YARDS...................       16-606        8-288
         Average Per Punt............         37.9         36.0
         Net punt average............         28.8         33.4
        TIME OF POSSESSION/GAME.......        27:51        32:09
        3RD-DOWN CONVERSIONS..........        13/36        14/35
         3rd-Down Pct................          36%          40%
        4TH-DOWN CONVERSIONS..........          3/5          4/8
         4th-Down Pct................          60%          50%
        SACKS BY-YARDS................         3-22         6-26
        MISC YARDS....................           19           60
        TOUCHDOWNS SCORED.............            9           12
        FIELD GOALS-ATTEMPTS..........          0-1          1-4
        PAT-ATTEMPTS..................          9-9        12-12
        ATTENDANCE....................         6735       102841
         Games/Avg Per Game..........       1/6735      2/51420

SCORE BY QUARTERS     1st  2nd  3rd  4th    Total
        --------------------  ---  ---  ---  ---      ---
        Nicholls............   35    7    7   14  -    63
        Opponents...........   21   24   28   14  -    87

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
          How dis-interested are SDSU fans at this point? It's Wednesday of game week and not one bit of talk about this Saturday's game.

I'll get things started here by saying - Go State!
          I noted that. It depressed me. I hope things come around one of the next two weekends. But the best bet for the first W could be Central Arkansas. I don't know if UCA is any good with its 2-1 record. They beat Henderson State (Where or what is a Henderson State? Perhaps, UCA's "patsy" like Wisconsin-LaCrosse?) and Missouri State, but lost to Illinois State. They play S. F. Austin this weekend. That will probably be a measuring stick. Here's the scary part -- they play USD the week before they play us. That's a measuring stick I'd rather not look at. I hope we do better than the 'Yotes, but ... I'm worried. What's the mood like in Brookings? Anyone?

Go, State!

P.S. -- ANYBODY HAVE A HUNCH WHAT THE 2007 SCHEDULE WILL LOOK LIKE?

Comment

Here's the 2007 schedule that was listed in this year's media guide:

Aug. 30 - at Western Illinois
            Sept. 8 - TBA
            Sept. 15 - Montana
            Sept. 22 - Texas State
            Sept. 29 - Stephen F. Austin
            Oct. 6 - at Georgia Southern
            Oct. 13 - TBA
            Oct. 20 - Cal Poly
            Oct. 27 - at UC Davis
            Nov. 3 - at Central Arkansas
            Nov.10 - Southern Utah
            Nov. 17 - NDSU

Lots of good teams coming to CAS next year!
            “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Rumors are headed my way of growing dissention on the team. The specific reasons and complaints aren't really important (although they've been well represented in many of the posts here on the Forum).

Certainly the team has a right to be upset with how this season has began.

My challenge to the players and the coaches is: do you have it in you to channel your anger and frustration over how this season has begun into better preparation, better play, better adjustments, better performance? Or will you give up and let the anger and frustration turn inward and totally destroy your season? Are you accepting your share of the blame for how this season has begun, or are you denying that you need to change and improve, while pointing the finger at another player's performance, or another coach's decisions?

We fans, sitting on the outside, can try to stay positive and supportive. We want you to succeed. We set the tone of the environment within which you have to perform. But that tone is really just a reflection of your performance on and off the field.

Specifically to the coaches: Are you losing your team? Are you sure? Listen to your players. Be willing to make changes, in personnel, in game plans, in play calling--it's pretty obvious to everyone that what you've been doing up until now isn't working. If you're open to change, you may yet salvage this season for yourselves, your players, and (least importantly) we fans.

I'll hop off of my soapbox now. Let's go out and beat the Colonels!
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jivebunny
                they play USD the week before they play us. That's a measuring stick I'd rather not look at. I hope we do better than the 'Yotes, but ...
                That worries me too. If that doesn't fire up the Jacks, I don't know what will. Also, I believe Augustana goes down to UCA later in the year as well.

Back to the main topic: beings they are a run first team, the D needs to change their ways or we will be repeating ourselves next week....

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                  Rumors are headed my way of growing dissention on the team.  The specific reasons and complaints aren't really important (although they've been well represented in many of the posts here on the Forum).

Certainly the team has a right to be upset with how this season has began.  

My challenge to the players and the coaches is:  do you have it in you to channel your anger and frustration over how this season has begun into better preparation, better play, better adjustments, better performance?  Or will you give up and let the anger and frustration turn inward and totally destroy your season?  Are you accepting your share of the blame for how this season has begun, or are you denying that you need to change and improve, while pointing the finger at another player's performance, or another coach's decisions?

We fans, sitting on the outside, can try to stay positive and supportive.  We want you to succeed.  We set the tone of the environment within which you have to perform.  But that tone is really just a reflection of your performance on and off the field.

Specifically to the coaches:  Are you losing your team?  Are you sure?  Listen to your players.  Be willing to make changes, in personnel, in game plans, in play calling--it's pretty obvious to everyone that what you've been doing up until now isn't working.  If you're open to change, you may yet salvage this season for yourselves, your players, and (least importantly) we fans.

I'll hop off of my soapbox now.  Let's go out and beat the Colonels!
                  Ditto. Well stated filbert.

I know I come across pretty negatively with regards to how this season has started, but I want to see W's as much as anyone does. I'm full of pride whenever I have on anything that says SDSU Football hoping someone will ask about it. Of course, this is coming from the guy who hasn't listened to a game yet this year. Last season was appointment listening for me (drove my wife nuts). This year I'm getting more time with my wife and daughter.

Turning the dismal start to this season around falls on the players and coaches, and all have to be on the same page.  There have been bad starts to seasons before (1-3 in '93) and teams have made a turn around. This year's schedule is less than favorable, but not impossible to pull out some W's. We know the overall talent level isn't that much different than our opponents, just gotta make some plays.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                    We know the overall talent level isn't that much different than our opponents, just gotta make some plays.

Go Jacks!
                    I think this is why there are rumbling and grumblings. There are some talented players on this team and I suspect most aren't use to struggling like this. I look to the leadership for this to improve.

As for Nicholls St., I don't know jack about them. I'll be hunting ducks this weekend and will tune in to WNAX to catch the game. Hope the Jacks can pull one out.

NDSU has beaten them home and away the last two seasons respectively. They beat Texas St. in LA last year. I think they are a tough team, maybe not as good as Montana or UNI but darn close.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Well, their two losses are to I-A teams, Nebraska and Louisiana Tech.

They lead Tech at half time.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Rumors are headed my way of growing dissention on the team.  The specific reasons and complaints aren't really important (although they've been well represented in many of the posts here on the Forum).
                        I have heard the same myself.  A win will slow a lot of it down but I believe there is another issue that we haven't addressed here.  I think that one thing that leads to this is lack of leadership among the players.  If there are strong leaders in the locker room the bitching and griping will be handled.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                          anyone know what sort of offensive attack Nichols State employs?
                          They run same option that Georgia Southern used to run. Better play good assignment football on defense or they will make your night miserable running that option.

Doc

Comment

How does that bode for the Jacks? We didn't exactly stop GSU last year.

Comment

Today's inspirational reading, from:
                              http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...e=NCFHeadlines
                              In time, you become the product of your accumulated responses. If you are courageous and answer each gut check with a grimace and a smashing tackle, you become a success long before you win games. So it is with a courageous 0-3 football team. There are 0-3 squads right now that will not lose again this season. There are 0-3 squads that will lose another year or two, and then blossom into "sudden successes." There are 0-3 coaches being skewered by the press, the bloggers and the gutless wonders on the call-in shows, who will be Coach of the Year before long. They are the ones who can stay positive, rely on their innate toughness, keep their kids from wallowing and abide by a few simple principles.
                              . . .
                              (Former Kansas State coach Bill Snyder's 12 principles he followed when transforming K-State from doormat to football power)

1. I promise we will get better every day.
                              2. Be where you are.
                              3. We must have the total commitment from the president of our university.
                              4. This is the most complicated time in history for our young people. There is an epidemic of teen suicide in our country. For teens, the single most prescribed medication is for depression.
                              5. Bring better people and better students into the program every day. Find a way.
                              6. Involve as many people as possible.
                              7. Build a wonderful relationship with the faculty. Our goals are the same as faculty goals.
                              8. Perseverance is a must.
                              9. Expectations are established by the leader. I will set the example.
                              10. Tamp down limitations. Find ways to eliminate each one.
                              11. Have the players understand they will not be judged by the scoreboard. We will assess progress.
                              12. I will make the decision most beneficial to our program … every time.
                              Read the whole thing!
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X