Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU celebrates Super Bowl victory

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...D=200660926001

How big was South Dakota State’s 24-17 victory over Nicholls State on Saturday?

For a heavily scrutinized football team that started 0-3 (with more tough ones on the way), this one felt like the Super Bowl.

Just ask Jackrabbits coach John Stiegelmeier, whose job security became an issue following an embarrassing home loss to NCAA Division III Wisconsin-La Crosse on Sept. 2.

SDSU followed that with road losses to Montana and Northern Iowa. On Saturday, the Jacks gained 379 total yards and scored their first second-half points of 2006 to top Nicholls State, which fell 56-7 to Nebraska earlier this month.

Stiegelmeier, encouraged by a solid effort from quarterback Andy Kardoes, actually woke up feeling chipper after the team’s return trip from Thibodaux, La.

“I was an usher in church Sunday morning, and I was getting pats on the back,” says Stiegelmeier, who is in his 10th year at the helm. “At our level now, it’s more consuming. So it’s nice to have something positive to talk about – especially when you’re being questioned.”
    With a new school president and a wide-open Division I future, “Coach Stig” must still prove he’s the right guy to push SDSU into I-AA respectability.

The next test is Saturday against McNeese State, ranked 16th in I-AA despite Saturday’s 41-7 loss at Toledo. The good news? The game will be played in Louisiana, where the Jacks are now 2-0.
    By Stu Whitney. I don't exactly agree with the Super Bowl analogy, but it was a big game none the less.

Re: SDSU celebrates Super Bowl victory

Super-stu(pid) might wanted to have mentioned that they won the Southland and are picked to win it again this year. He might mention that they finished ranked in the top 20 last year and made the IAA playoffs. Those are just a few things a journalist worth his stones would mention. Probably to busy writing his next story on Beresford's 0-4 team or the Lawdogs, Canaries, or some other pro-team no one cares about. Nice work.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
      Super-stu(pid) might wanted to have mentioned that they won the Southland and are picked to win it again this year.  He might mention that they finished ranked in the top 20 last year and made the IAA playoffs.  Those are just a few things a journalist worth his stones would mention.  Probably to busy writing his next story on Beresford's 0-4 team or the Lawdogs, Canaries, or some other pro-team no one cares about.  Nice work.
      Nicholls is not picked to win the Southland this year.

http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/sports...072606aac.html

Doc

Comment

Originally posted by McNeese72
        [Nicholls is not picked to win the Southland this year.

http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/sports...072606aac.html

Doc
        Call me stupid or ignorant, I deserve it. I thought I heard Steve Imming say that they were picked again this year. My mistake.

Welcome the chance to knock off another Southland team this weekend. No doubt it will be a great game. I wish I could be down there but my daughter has her 5th birthday and she isn't interested in a trip to La.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I think I heard Steve or someone else say that also.

I'm curious how Stu bases Stig's job being in jeoprody. His opinion? Opinion of fans? Or does he know someone above Stig that actually has the clout to make that move?

Comment

Stu is Stu and he just turns evil when it comes to SDSU. I shouldn't let it bother me but its wrong. The Argus has really turned into a Sioux Falls regional paper with little interest in the news most important to the whole state.

SDSU is the largest, most successful and only DI institution in our state. SDSU doesn't have to be priority #1 on each sports page but Sunday mornings might want to focus on the outcome of the state's DI university sports teams. Not just when they lose but also when they win. Hell, you might want to go as far as making sure a nice capsule of the upcoming game including information about some of the other DI universities we are competing against. You might provide a service to South Dakotans. Perhaps that has nothing to do with the mission at the Argus leader.

One of the first things I did when I returned to the state was to subscribe to the Argus. Now, after the crappy coverage over the last 2 weeks, a wet newspaper if even one drop of rain falls, and the daily ignorance displayed by Beck and his cronies, I'm ready to dump their butts. This week will make or break it for me and I suggest others consider the same.

Perhaps I'm overreacting. That happens on occasion when something I'm passionate about gets cast aside. That is what has happened with the Argus and the progress at SDSU.

Comment

This is one time, I dont think Stu was his usual self. I think most of us were really down after the UNI game. I was totally surprised while listening to the start of the game. I drifted off into a light sleep and awoke to hear SDSU had a 14-0 lead. I missed hearing Watson's 41 yd run. Oh my and the way we held on for the rest of the game really gave me an uplift which I think could be compared to winning a super bowl. We hope for another win on Saturday. I think our team has to put the W's up to get the publicty and respect that we deserve.

Comment

If it were SDSU's "SuperBowl" you would think the Argus would have made a big deal before the game??

I agree with you MD. I cringe everytime I have to buy the Sunday edition for the wife. I do scan it daily at work, but that is just to see what lies are being spread that day and to laugh at the editorials (Argus and public).

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                  I'm curious how Stu bases Stig's job being in jeoprody.  His opinion?  Opinion of fans?  Or does he know someone above Stig that actually has the clout to make that move?
                  Someone probably read this message board and told Stu that some fans were calling for Stig's head. I highly doubt Stu knows anyone that would tell him anything about anyone's job security in the athletic department. There are two, maybe four people at SDSU that would know if talk of Stig's future was taking place. None of those would leak anything.
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                    [quote author=Jacks99 link=1159292968/0#4 date=1159304323]I'm curious how Stu bases Stig's job being in jeoprody.  His opinion?  Opinion of fans?  Or does he know someone above Stig that actually has the clout to make that move?
                    Someone probably read this message board and told Stu that some fans were calling for Stig's head. I highly doubt Stu knows anyone that would tell him anything about anyone's job security in the athletic department. There are two, maybe four people at SDSU that would know if talk of Stig's future was taking place.  None of those would leak anything.[/quote]

I dont question your take for a second. I think Stu has ink to waste so why not do so. I coming to the conclusion, that the less said on this board the better. Look at USD's board. No one but Coyote Fan and a few other zealots take time to post. If you read Mick Garry article, no controversy nothing but praise the lord and the coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                      [quote author=Jacks99 link=1159292968/0#4 date=1159304323]I'm curious how Stu bases Stig's job being in jeoprody.  His opinion?  Opinion of fans?  Or does he know someone above Stig that actually has the clout to make that move?
                      Someone probably read this message board and told Stu that some fans were calling for Stig's head. I highly doubt Stu knows anyone that would tell him anything about anyone's job security in the athletic department. There are two, maybe four people at SDSU that would know if talk of Stig's future was taking place.  None of those would leak anything.[/quote]

I don't know for sure, but it looks to me like Stu (pid?) was quoting Stig directly:

“I was an usher in church Sunday morning, and I was getting pats on the back,” says Stiegelmeier, who is in his 10th year at the helm. “At our level now, it’s more consuming. So it’s nice to have something positive to talk about – especially when you’re being questioned.”

Perhaps Stig reads this board?

Comment

I can guarantee you that stig does not read this board. He truly does have better things to do with his time. He's been a coach long enough to know that when things are going well you are the greatest coach ever. When they are not, everybody knows better than you.
                        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy
                          I can guarantee you that stig does not read this board.  He truly does have better things to do with his time.  He's been a coach long enough to know that when things are going well you are the greatest coach ever.  When they are not, everybody knows better than you.
                          Exactly, thats why Stig doesn't need any defense on a board like this. Opinions are just that and for a any person in a position it is paramount that there be understanding about which opinions matter and which don't.

As for Stu and the Argus, the probably do little harm but they sure could be more helpful. Not expecting them to be, just wishful thinking.

Comment

Why subscribe to the Argus. It's all free on-line. Give me a warning if you have to, but Stu is an idiot and a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                              Why subscribe to the Argus. It's all free on-line. Give me a warning if you have to, but Stu is an idiot and a moron.
                              1bunnies:

Ouch!! you said it, and many of us feel it but keep it quiet. It still goes back to putting W's on the board. Once the wins keep coming, then SDSU becomes a good product to cover. I suppose this is how the Argus views it and always has.  It would be nice to have our regular beat writer in place though.

Comment

Working...
                              X