Argus coverage of SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus coverage of SDSU

Just a quick note on why Argus Leader coverage of the Jacks might be less than it should. It sounds like the guy who covered SDSU quit and they have yet to hire another reporter. That would explain things. I cannot swear it is true, but I did hear it from a reliable source. Football coverage has been below what has been provided in recent years. It has been annoying, but I can handle it if the Argus is short-staffed. Not that I want to become the resident defender of the Argus, I guess, but take it for what it’s worth.

Re: Argus coverage of SDSU

It is true that Chris Solari received a promotion, closer to home, with the Argus Leader's parent company and that the Argus has yet to higher his replacement (although they are getting close). Still, they should have something about the State's only D-I school knocking off the #16 ranked team on the road even if it is just an AP story.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      It is true that Chris Solari received a promotion, closer to home, with the Argus Leader's parent company and that the Argus has yet to higher his replacement (although they are getting close). Still, they should have something about the State's only D-I school knocking off the #16 ranked team on the road even if it is just an AP story.

Go State!
      I completely agree. I was fairly worked up when I did not realize Chris had moved on, but still ... especially considering how the season started, the Saturday victory was huge and deserved substantial coverage. Whatever that means. I’m not saying it had to be the main story on the front of sports, but something more would have seemed fairer.

Comment

16th team in the nation with a win over the 24th team last week and we get a small blurb in the paper edition and NOTHING on the website. Yeah, that sounds about right. Good to hear some kid who wasted a ton of basketball talent has finally found a way to USD to play WR, though.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

No excuse, Chris moved on and they knew it was going to happen. Assign someone else to cover the game. Even if it one of the current bozos who are better suited to cover the GPAC and the Lawdogs. Put them on a plane with a DI quality program and take them to some of the places SDSU has been. Then, send them back to see DSU, USF and the Lawdogs and have them honestly comment on the differences (not that they would be honest). I'm dumping the Argus effective today, I suggest the same for the rest. Trust me, you're not going to miss anything. I'd equate it to dumping Craig and Mike, I haven't missed anything and I'm a little less frustrated by the SD media.

The fact of the matter, regardless of what they might tell you, is that the SD media was not and is not ready for a DI institution. The institution is ready, the state is ready, the vast majority of the media is just inept and ill-prepared. They will adapt or at least they better.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
            No excuse, Chris moved on and they knew it was going to happen. Assign someone else to cover the game. Even if it one of the current bozos who are better suited to cover the GPAC and the Lawdogs. Put them on a plane with a DI quality program and take them to some of the places SDSU has been. Then, send them back to see DSU, USF and the Lawdogs and have them honestly comment on the differences (not that they would be honest). I'm dumping the Argus effective today, I suggest the same for the rest. Trust me, you're not going to miss anything. I'd equate it to dumping Craig and Mike, I haven't missed anything and I'm a little less frustrated by the SD media.

The fact of the matter, regardless of what they might tell you, is that the SD media was not and is not ready for a DI institution. The institution is ready, the state is ready, the vast majority of the media is just inept and ill-prepared. They will adapt or at least they better.
            Hee-hee ... Lawdogs. Funny. Cruel, but funny. I will say that it’s aggrivating, as I said, not to have better coverage. I really like what the Fargo Forum does with the Bison Zone on its Web site. I wish there would be something similar or maybe just something more consistant in the Argus. It probably doesn’t help that the Argus is not the “hometown” paper for SDSU. The Brookings Register is very small and it cannot provide what I think we could call typical D-I coverage. That’s especially ture since it doesn’t publish on Sunday. So that leaves it up to the Argus. And in past years, I think it’s done a fair job, at least with football. And, granted, I pay far more attention to football than other sports. Anyhow, I’m interested to see how things will go when there’s a new Chris on board. And I’m interested to see how the Beef Bowl will be covered as it’s been ages since we’ve had a home game. I am not as upset as some, but I am hoping for better than I have seen so far this year.

Comment

I thought Chris Solari was doing a decent job in a tough environment. Sometimes it is hard to explain a lot of the things that go on at the Argus Leader, but they don't have any major competition.

I have relatives in Aberdeen and it is amazing how good of a job that the Aberdeen American News does in covering Northern and the area sports. If the Argus was that dedidcated to all the area sports, their subscriptions would have to go way up!

Hopefully, they will assign someone strong to SDSU that can be ready to go for next year when we begin conference play!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I was in Aberdeen this weekend for a wedding, and the Sunday paper of the American News had an AP write-up about the game. Couple of paragraphs anyways. Nothing huge, but sounds like that was more than the Argus had.

Comment

Re: HOLY CRAP

Holy Crap the Argus had an article on the football team but I see it no where to be found on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                    Holy Crap the Argus had an article on the football team but I see it no where to be found on the website.
                    Here's a link: http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...337/1002/rss02
                    The story shows up on the Argus' RSS feed, but you can't get there from the Web site for whatever reason. Looks like it's part of Stuie's column.
                    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne
                      [quote author=thebluehatman link=1159805714/0#8 date=1159877416]Holy Crap the Argus had an article on the football team but I see it no where to be found on the website.
                      Here's a link: http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...337/1002/rss02
                      The story shows up on the Argus' RSS feed, but you can't get there from the Web site for whatever reason. Looks like it's part of Stuie's column.[/quote]

That is Stu's column, not the story on the game. Stu of course took another shot with the NAIA comment, without mentioning the 1A opponents.

however, as for the Argus' coverage of the LawDogs, good for them. This is a long-time home town team that does a lot of events in the community. They deserve the coverage also. You would have to be a fool to think that something that is tied to Sioux Falls is not going to start with a leg up with the Argus. And yes I understand one team is in a minor independent league, and the other is the SD's largest university. I get that, but it was one article. Have some pride.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Actually, if you search the site using "SDSU" you find Whitney's column.

I note with derision however that it's the ONLY article on the site which references the McNeese State game, other than the game preview article.

Published on Tuesday.

For a Saturday night game.

NEWs indeed.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                          That is Stu's column, not the story on the game. Stu of course took another shot with the NAIA comment, without mentioning the 1A opponents.
                          Classic Stu, find a place to throw is a shot at the Jacks whenever possible. We need a big win over UCA this weekend, Stu will struggle to find a way to throw a jab then.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

"upset". I love how he puts that in quotes. What a j@ck@ss. At least he's consistent. Some guys just like being that way. Me, I'd rather people respect me for my writing ability as a journalist. He'd rather have people hate him for stirring the pot. I guess we can't blame him for taking the easy road. "Let's see here. My choices are 1) work hard at writing thoughtful well-researched news articles or 2) rarely do any work and just write something every week that is full of cheap shots and is guaranteed to get a reaction thus overshadowing my inability to put out a decent article. I'll go with number 2."
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

By the way, I noted in the Introductions thread some of you put Sterne Akin as your favorite player from SDSU. If you guys still see Sterne, ask him what he thinks about Stu. That was my first real introduction to all that is Stu. Class act.

Comment

Working...
                              X