Gateway Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway Conference

Western Kentucky is serious considering moving to I-A leaving the Gateway with 7 members.

http://www.wkuherald.com/media/stora...ports/Students. Question.IA.Move-2289416.shtml?norewrite200609220012&sourcedoma in=www.wkuherald.com

The Jacks and Bison would be a nice addition to the conference. It would certainly help out scheduling to have 4 home and 4 away conference games each season.
    Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Re: Gateway Conference

Welcome to the board, rabbitinunicntry!

I hope that SDSU and NDSU would be able to move into the Gateway if WKU moves up to 1-A. Nothing against the other schools in the GWFC, but having eight conference games (as opposed to four and their unbalanced schedule :P :P :P) would be much more beneficial and would likely guarantee that SDSU would always have five or six home games each fall.

If we were to move to the Gateway, I would hope that we could continue to play Davis, Poly, and SUU on a semi-regular basis since they were very helpful in the football program's transition to 1-AA.

Comment

I would like to see a move to the Gateway Conf. as well, I don't have any info. on the subject but it appears some posters may have some knowledge of this being in the works possibly. I would like to see SUU, Davis and Poly stay aroud also. Those are becoming nice rivalry games for us, especially Davis (I REALLY want to beat Davis every year)

Comment

SDSU and NDSU would be a good fit in the Gateway if one looks at the makeup of the schools. Arguably, this football confenence is more appropriate than the Mid-Con for other sports both in terms of geography and academics. Better in terms of recruiting geography, as well, although it seems we have a nice crop of Arizona kids on the roster. Too bad the Gateway isn't an all sports conference.

Comment

This would be perfect.

I said from the beginning that the Mid-Con and Gateway would probably be our best bet.

And I know people were all big on the Big Sky...but I'm happy with this news.

Comment

I think the Gateway would be Huge for SDSU. One other benifit, is just more midwest games and teams that locals may recognize or get exited about.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
              I think the Gateway would be Huge for SDSU. One other benifit, is just more midwest games and teams that locals may recognize or get exited about.
              Agree--having names on the schedule like Missouri State, Indiana State, and Illinois State would definitely be preferable to names like William Penn or (shudder) Wisconsin-La Crosse.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Not to mention this year blows as far as home games. It is almost as if we don't have a conference :-/

Comment

7 + 5 = 12

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                    7 + 5 = 12

I like the sound of combining the Gateway and Great West. A west and east division could maybe work. Add Northern Iowa to NDSU, SDSU, UCD, Cal Poly, and SUU. Play 5 games in your half and 3 from the other every year with 3 non-conference games every year?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
                      [quote author=1stRowFANatic link=1158947230/0#8 date=1159102470]7 + 5 = 12

I like the sound of combining the Gateway and Great West. A west and east division could maybe work. Add Northern Iowa to NDSU, SDSU, UCD, Cal Poly, and SUU. Play 5 games in your half and 3 from the other every year with 3 non-conference games every year?[/quote]

A nice thought, but what's the incentive for the Gateway schools to do it? Locking in a long road trip every year to California is a big commitment--why would the Gateway teams do that?
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                        [quote author=Jacks02 link=1158947230/0#9 date=1159110239][quote author=1stRowFANatic link=1158947230/0#8 date=1159102470]7 + 5 = 12

I like the sound of combining the Gateway and Great West.  A west and east division could maybe work.  Add Northern Iowa to NDSU, SDSU, UCD, Cal Poly, and SUU.  Play 5 games in your half and 3 from the other every year with 3 non-conference games every year?[/quote]

A nice thought, but what's the incentive for the Gateway schools to do it?  Locking in a long road trip every year to California is a big commitment--why would the Gateway teams do that?[/quote]

Agreed. Youngstown St. thinks a trip to SDSU/NDSU is too long, let alone travelling out to California every year.  I do hope we can get into the Gateway if WKU leaves and they want to expand.    

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                          [quote author=Jacks02 link=1158947230/0#9 date=1159110239][quote author=1stRowFANatic link=1158947230/0#8 date=1159102470]7 + 5 = 12

I like the sound of combining the Gateway and Great West.  A west and east division could maybe work.  Add Northern Iowa to NDSU, SDSU, UCD, Cal Poly, and SUU.  Play 5 games in your half and 3 from the other every year with 3 non-conference games every year?[/quote]

A nice thought, but what's the incentive for the Gateway schools to do it?  Locking in a long road trip every year to California is a big commitment--why would the Gateway teams do that?[/quote]

Good point, I guess one incentive is only needing to schedule 3 OOC games a year instead of 5? Also, you wouldn't have to travel every year to California. If you are in eastern division, since you just play 3 of the 6 in the western divison, it could be set up that you play one of the Cal schools every year, but home/away would alternate, so you would be making the trip every other year. Of course, with SUU there as well, it makes it a little more often than every other year for a long trip, but you get my point.

Comment

It is my understanding that a merger has been suggested and already rejected by the members of the Gateway. On the flip side I believe interest in both NDSU and SDSU remains high if WKU leaves.

Go State!

Comment

I don't think a 12-team, two-division conference would work in I-AA (or the playoff group) since you could end up with no clear conference champion. Besides, Northern Iowa (or any other current Gateway team) may not want to be placed in the "west" division because they would have increased travel and would only get to play their current rivals every other year.

Comment

Working...
                              X