63 Scholarships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Scholarships

I heard this weekend (from someone who would and does know) that we will be jumping up to 63 scholarships next year. Fund raising must be going well....

Re: 63 Scholarships

I was told the same
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Getting to 63 would be great. SDSU is running three years behind the Bison in football scholarships. I understand that UCA is at full scholarship leval already, too, in its first year at the D-IAA level. That's what I heard anyway.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Great news if this is indeed true.  We have a young team to begin with and they really seem to be playing well right now.  Add another bunch of scholarships for the recruiting class next year and we should be set up nicely for 2008 when we are playoff eligible.

Just did a quick scan of the roster and we have 57 players that are sophomores or younger.  Obviously there will be some players coming and going between now and 2008, but as good as some of these kids are playing at a young age, we could really make a push for the playoffs in our first year.

Hopefully the success in fundraising can continue so we can get some increases to the coaching payroll and facility upgrades too...

Comment

One thing that has help make this goal a reality soon than later is the 57 average rule for the D1A members in order to get in the Bowl games. Our scheduling of Iowa State and Minnesota is possible by getting to 63 next year. I think the orginal plan was to progress to 63 at much slower pace. I have no idea on how the fund raising is going but I suspect it is also part of the plan and we have had good results.

UCA has 63 in their first year, but they have true freshmen redshirting this year and maybe they are not ready for play, so our offerings in year 1 and 2 of the reclassification period probably worked as best they could. I noticed to UCA has a ton of seniors who are no doubt good players such as the tall WR who hauled in the long passes. Having 63 scholies does not guarentee wins, but I suppose it does put us on equal ground with other D1AA opponets.

I was very impressed with the Beef Bowl crowd, we seem to have more people wanting to see a football game as well as the Pride. It think a couple of 8 plus wins will guarentee a 10,000 plus crowd for most if not all games. The games in early November seem to be sparsely attended and its been that way for a long time.

Comment

Working...
          X