Crowd noise at games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crowd noise at games

There were several posts that mentioned the lack of noise from the crowd (students not included) and that we could really help the team by getting more vocal!

I have to agree and it's been that way for years. I'm not sure what the rules are for the PA Announcer to fire things up but that might be the only way to get things going. The other side effect is that the more the crowd is involved, the more fun they have!

My ideas:

Kickoffs: PA "Everyone on your feet and make some noise for the kickoff"

First Down: PA "The gain is good for a Jackrabbit FIRST DOWN(crowd respone).

Incomplete Pass on Defense: PA "Pass from xxxx to yyyy is IN-COM-PLETE(crowd response)

3rd Down on Defense: PA "Everyone on your feet and make some noise, it's 3rd down"

Random: PA "Go Big, Go Blue, GO JACKS(crowd response)

Those type of things might get everyone more involved! The students and The Pride do a great job but the rest of the people in the stands can't hear them that well. A little coaxing by the PA Announcer could get everyone on the same page and create an electric atmoshphere!

Rabbitden would get them fired up!

Just my $.02!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Re: Crowd noise at games

How about something as simple as "the result of the play is a FIRST DOWN, JACKRABBITS!" Almost every pro team and big time college game I've been to has the announcer doing something like that. It annoys the heck out of the opposing team/fans and keeps the fans into the game. Also, how about some fireworks/smoke going off at the top of the hill to signal (along with the Pride) the team running onto the field. I love that.
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Good ideas SUPERBUNNY. I overheard a couple of people at the game talking about how boring they thought the PA annoucer was. I definitely think the 3rd down crowd noise is lacking for our defense. I would stand up every 3rd down and ring my cowbell and everyone around me would just looked at me like I was crazy. I even had one guy give me the "Down in front" at one point!

“Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

One I heard of teams using that I think is awesome is when a visiting team gets a penalty they play the beeping noise like a dump truck backing up and then dumping.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

one thing that really annoyed me was that ref who kept calling us "South Dakota"

Comment

Originally posted by rjacks21
            Good ideas SUPERBUNNY.   I overheard a couple of people at the game talking about how boring they thought the PA annoucer was.   I definitely think the 3rd down crowd noise is lacking for our defense.  I would stand up every 3rd down and ring my cowbell and everyone around me would just looked at me like I was crazy.  I even had one guy give me the "Down in front" at one point!
            That's my favorite!  All you are trying to do and says "Down in front!"  I have always wanted to reply "Why don't you listen to the game on the radio!"

We have a 85+ year old that sits next to us at Frost Arena and last year during a rally at one of the games a bunch of people stood and started cheering the team on.  His comment was, "It's about damn time we get off our butts and give the team some support!"  I was pleasantly shocked!

We have always had good attendance numbers but the 12th man hasn't been a huge factor for us for a long time.  It's a shame!  I refuse to accept that it's the "corporate seats" that have changed it, we just need to get after it and it needs to be encouraged!

Go Big, Go Blue, ..........

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

These things are being addressed and probably will be brought up this week. Like I said before if anyone has any ideas talk to Rabbitden or me. Input is what the Promotions people want to hear. The Fanaddicts group is growing super fast. We ran out of Larges, Extra Larges, and Double Extra Larges for shirt size this weekend and we ran out of sign up forms. Give all your input its all appreciated by the staff.

Blue out.

Comment

Den dont do football...but you dont have to tell me about the lack of reserve emotions at football games. I did sit with a good crowd of newbies on the west side after the first quarter. They got loud but I dont know about the rest...I know during the first quarter you could see from the endzone that pass the band going north in the west stands nobody stood unless the school song was on.

Gotta love those Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34
                  one thing that really annoyed me was that ref who kept calling us "South Dakota"
                  That pissed me off. It happened last year against Cal-Poly at CAS, too. Can't someone on the sideline politely correct the guy?

I say lead by example. Every big play stand up and cheer. Early in the game people looked at me like I was crazy, by the 3rd quarter I had most of those arround me jumping up and signaling first down right with me.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                    These things are being addressed and probably will be brought up this week.  Like I said before if anyone has any ideas talk to Rabbitden or me.   Input is what the Promotions people want to hear.  The Fanaddicts group is growing super fast.  We ran out of Larges, Extra Larges, and Double Extra Larges for shirt size this weekend and we ran out of sign up forms.  Give all your input its all appreciated by the staff.

Blue out.
                    I thought the students were great. When UCA was at the south end trying to get their first score the students were in their ear. Then, a fumble, a beautiful thing to behold.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden
                      Den dont do football...but you dont have to tell me about the lack of reserve emotions at football games.  I did sit with a good crowd of newbies on the west side after the first quarter.  They got loud but I dont know about the rest...I know during the first quarter you could see from the endzone that pass the band going north in the west stands nobody stood unless the school song was on.

Gotta love those Jacks!
                      Not a good enough seat or what? We need you up there big fella!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                        [quote author=rjacks21 link=1160413844/0#2 date=1160414185]Good ideas SUPERBUNNY. I overheard a couple of people at the game talking about how boring they thought the PA annoucer was. I definitely think the 3rd down crowd noise is lacking for our defense. I would stand up every 3rd down and ring my cowbell and everyone around me would just looked at me like I was crazy. I even had one guy give me the "Down in front" at one point!
                        That's my favorite! All you are trying to do and says "Down in front!" I have always wanted to reply "Why don't you listen to the game on the radio!"

We have a 85+ year old that sits next to us at Frost Arena and last year during a rally at one of the games a bunch of people stood and started cheering the team on. His comment was, "It's about damn time we get off our butts and give the team some support!" I was pleasantly shocked!

We have always had good attendance numbers but the 12th man hasn't been a huge factor for us for a long time. It's a shame! I refuse to accept that it's the "corporate seats" that have changed it, we just need to get after it and it needs to be encouraged!

SUPERBUNNY
                        [/quote]

Seems to me the appropriate response to a "down in front" on third down (we're talking SDSU on defense, right?) is to turn around to face the crowd, wave your arms up into the air, and while glaring at everyone, screaming "EVERYBODY UP! GO DEFENSE! YEARRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH" at the top of your lungs, then turn around and watch the play (continuing the YEARRGGGGHHHHHH as long as lung pressure and oxygen to the brain allow, or until the end of the play, whichever comes first).

Crowds, like teams, need to learn the killer instinct, it doesn't come naturally.

Similarly, in basketball, a great time to get REALLY loud is when the Jacks take a 10-point lead. That's when you gotta get up and help the team bury the opponent.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                          [quote author=mmiller_34 link=1160413844/0#4 date=1160415332]one thing that really annoyed me was that ref who kept calling us "South Dakota"
                          That pissed me off. It happened last year against Cal-Poly at CAS, too. Can't someone on the sideline politely correct the guy?

I say lead by example. Every big play stand up and cheer. Early in the game people looked at me like I was crazy, by the 3rd quarter I had most of those arround me jumping up and signaling first down right with me.[/quote]

Another easily solved problem. If a referee does this, the Band (or, heck the Cheerleaders, it's kind of what they're there for) starts a chant "South Dakota" and the student section responds "STATE!!!!!" and continue this for about the next five minutes (unless we're on offense, then just do it when the play's not going on).

South Dakota . . . STATE!!!

The referees will take the hint, guaranteed.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm glad this was brought up. I finally on Saturday evening just stood up and started yellling on third down defensively and guess what many behind me and around me started doing the same thing, but it was still a small minority in the crowd. Is it lack of knowledge of that is what you do or apathy? I struggle to criticize the "older crowd" who at least showed up rather than many students who found something better to do like drive down and party in Vermillion for D Days?  I will take the pure outdoor football atmosphere at Coughlin over the Fargo Dome anyday. I just hope the attendence doesn't drop like the tempature in the coming weeks. That's the only advantage of the dome. I like when the weather requires gloves and a hot chocolate at half time.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                              [quote author=rjacks21 link=1160413844/0#2 date=1160414185]Good ideas SUPERBUNNY.   I overheard a couple of people at the game talking about how boring they thought the PA annoucer was.   I definitely think the 3rd down crowd noise is lacking for our defense.  I would stand up every 3rd down and ring my cowbell and everyone around me would just looked at me like I was crazy.  I even had one guy give me the "Down in front" at one point!
                              That's my favorite!  All you are trying to do and says "Down in front!"  I have always wanted to reply "Why don't you listen to the game on the radio!"

We have a 85+ year old that sits next to us at Frost Arena and last year during a rally at one of the games a bunch of people stood and started cheering the team on.  His comment was, "It's about damn time we get off our butts and give the team some support!"  I was pleasantly shocked!

We have always had good attendance numbers but the 12th man hasn't been a huge factor for us for a long time.  It's a shame!  I refuse to accept that it's the "corporate seats" that have changed it, we just need to get after it and it needs to be encouraged!

SUPERBUNNY
                              [/quote]

GO JACKS!!!!!!!!!! I had to work on Saturday so I listened to the game on the radio. There were times in the fourth quarter that it was hard to hear the announcer over all of the cowbells. I just assumed it was the same way at the stadium.
                              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                              X