I-AA rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-AA rankings

Don Hansen has SDSU ranked in the top 40 this week. for the first time since the preseason.  We are 35th.  
    http://www.donhansen.com/polls/ncaa1-aa.php

Sagarin has us at number 120 overall in division 1 and at 23 among I-AA.  We are ahead of 21 IA teams.  Sagarin aslo has the Great West as the 11th best conference in the nation, first among I-AA and ahead of two !-A conferences, MidAm and Sun Belt.  
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc06.htm

It will be interesting to see if the team gets some votes in the other poles this week.

Re: I-AA rankings

It will be out later today, but I expect State to break the top 25 in the AGS, which is one of the best polls out there I think there was a vote or two last week, but only those that get 5 show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
      It will be out later today, but I expect State to break the top 25 in the AGS, which is one of the best polls out there  I think there was a vote or two last week, but only those that get 5 show up.
      I'm going to change that statement and say I expect them to break in the metions outside of the top 25 with more than 5 votes. Only 2-4 teams really have a chance of leaving the top 25 which makes it harder to get back. Last week was a different story. I'd rather SDSU not get in and maintain focus going into league play.

Comment

Guess I was way off, here is this weeks poll. Notice that McNeese had plenty of votes:

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
        10/9/2006
        (First place votes in parenthesis)
        1. New Hampshire (65)
        2. Appalachian St (4)
        3. Montana
        4. Illinois St
        5. Cal Poly
        6. Youngstown St
        7. North Dakota St
        8. Massachusetts (1)
        9. Southern Illinois
        10. Richmond
        11. Furman
        12. James Madison
        13. Hampton
        14. Northern Iowa
        15. Harvard
        16. Eastern Illinois
        17. Tenn Martin
        18. Princeton
        19. UC Davis
        20. San Diego
        21. Towson
        22. Portland St
        23. Maine
        24. Central Conn
        25. Alabama A&M
        Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Coastal Carolina (27), Sam Houston St (24), Jacksonville St (22), Charleston Southern (15), McNeese St (14), Montana St (9), Jackson St (8), Western Illinois (8), Western Kentucky (6), Penn (5).

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Coastal Carolina
        MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Furman

Comment

I think SDSU needs to beat Cal Poly and UC-Davis both to get some votes and even a position in the top 25. Notice Georgia Southern is no where to be found. The NDSU Bison beat them badly at home 34-14. Appliacian St in the same conference as GSU gets the votes. So the polls have finally caught my eye. and are becoming interesting with each week of play.

Comment

I voted for the Jacks in the AGS poll. 8-)

Comment

USA/Sports Network poll has the Jacks getting some votes, but still way behind McNeese and Central Arkansas >  
              http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...v-1aa-poll.htm

Sports Network's I-AA College Football Poll

Team (First-place votes) Record Points Previous Rank
              1. New Hampshire Wildcats (88) 5-0 2,704 1
              2. Appalachian State Mountaineers (21) 5-1 2,622 2
              3. Montana Grizzlies 4-1 2,401 4
              4. Cal Poly Mustangs 5-1 2,325 5
              5. Illinois State Redbirds 4-1 2,226 6
              6. Youngstown State Penguins 5-1 2,076 8
              7. Southern Illinois Salukis 5-0 2,022 9
              8. Massachusetts Minutemen 4-1 1,893 10
              9. North Dakota State Bison 5-0 1,859 11
              10. Richmond Spiders 4-1 1,703 7
              11. Furman Paladins 4-2 1,663 3
              12. Hampton Pirates 6-0 1,642 12
              13. James Madison Dukes 4-1 1,466 13
              14. Northern Iowa Panthers 3-2 1,362 14
              15. Harvard Crimson 4-0 1,011 19
              16. Eastern Illinois Panthers 3-3 851 20
              17. Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks 5-1 819 22
              18. UC Davis Aggies 2-3 583 16
              19. Central Connecticut Blue Devils 5-1 555 23
              20. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 4-1 548 24
              21. San Diego Toreros 5-0 457 25
              22. Towson Tigers 4-1 417 17
              23. Maine Black Bears 3-2 400 NR
              24. Princeton Tigers 4-0 382 NR
              25. Portland State Vikings 3-3 340 15
              Others receiving votes: Coastal Carolina 170, Jackson State 122, Jacksonville State 121, McNeese State 108, Montana State 97, Delaware 72, Western Illinois 54, Georgia Southern 53, Sam Houston State 52, Charleston Southern 50, Penn 37, Elon 31, Delaware State 21, Wofford 21, Central Arkansas 12, Albany 11, South Dakota State 11, Northern Arizona 10, Idaho State 9, Nicholls State 9, Lafayette 8, Holy Cross 7, Western Kentucky 5.
              As of October 9, 2006, at 12:49 PM ET

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by AggieFinn
                I voted for the Jacks in the AGS poll.  8-)

Thanks AggieFinn, I didn't want to be a homer but I voted us 25th.  I was having a difficult time with my last team, and with our last three wins thought we were as good as any other three loss team out there.

Comment

I am far from a Bison supporter (in fact, I generally put them just behind USD in teams I wanted to beat when playing), but I have a hard time rationalizing how there are 7 teams above them in the rankings not named New Hampshire. Most of the teams ahead of them have losses (albeit by 1A opponents in most instances). NDSU has none with a win over a 1A opponent. Cal Poly has a great defense again, but their offense is below average to be nice. I guess we'll see how it plays out. I would love to have NDSU ranked in the top five when we knock them off.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I've wondered that as well. They have earned top 5 status. It may take losses from the others to allow them to move up higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                      I've wondered that as well.  They have earned top 5 status.  It may take losses from the others to allow them to move up higher.
                      Well, SIU and ISU play this weekend so that will knock somebody down and NDSU will move up as long as we win. As for SDSU you guys are on my radar but that loss to Wisconsin Lacrosse hurts but if you beat Cal Poly you are going to be ranked for sure.

Comment

wait until we beat NDSU
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Honestly, after watching the beating that the Bison put on Ga. Southern, we have a better chance of beating Poly than we do beating Bison in Fargo this year.

As I stated in the Preseason GWFC predictions, NDSU is going to be VERY unhappy that they are NOT play-off eligible this year.  Likely 9-2 or better this year.

BTW, on my ballots, UNH is the ONLY REASON NDSU aren't #1.  NDSU will need to knock off U of MN (unlikely) to have a comparable win to UNH's Northwestern win.

If SIU beats Il St, then UNH, NDSU and SIU are justified as 1-2-3.  Undefeated, IA victories, and wins over ranked I-AA opponents.  Actually UNH, SIU, NDSU because of two BCS wins, and higher rated I-AA wins.

Regarding Rabbits in AGS poll, they need to beat at least Poly or Davis to be ranked consistently, and even then, 20-25 about the best we can go.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                            wait until we beat NDSU  
                            +++++++++++
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

SDSU is ranked number 24 in the GPI this week.  This is a composite of all of the computer ratings and polls.  At present we are doing better in the computer rankings than in the polls.  Some of them only include games against division I teams.

http://www.i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=564

Comment

Working...
                              X