Tidbits from the top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidbits from the top

Coach Stiegelmeir confirmed during a luncheon speech that SDSU will be going to 63 scholarships (the DIAA limit) next year, which will be a few years ahead of schedule. The team is at 50-some now and is playing with 42, which is only six more than the D-II limit. He also made a plea for financial help. The school needs to raise $10 million to $12 million to build a training facility on the north side of the stadium to stay competitive and to help recruiting. Also, the team needs money to hire two more assistant coaches. It has nine assistants and is entitled to 11. Money is also needed to fund the scholarships, the coach says. So, if you've got an extra million or two, the Jacks football program could use it.
    This space for lease.

Re: Tidbits from the top

That's some good news. Way ahead of schedule! However, does "north of the stadium" raise any eyebrows to anyone?

Comment

RabbitinTea: The 'north of stadium' comment caught your attention...so, what's your speculation?

Comment

the Backyard

Comment

Yes, according to the plans I have seen, the new athletic center would be on the northside of Coughlin. There are also adjustments made to keep the tailgate area open.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea
            the Backyard
            Well, yeah, that's north....but there's lots of room out there so the backyard can adjust. I thought maybe you'd heard something about a combination of building with some permanent seating...the start of a horseshoe for CAS.

Comment

No, I don't have any inside info. And, we definitely need better facilities worse than we need tailgating space. However, I think the Backyard has really blossomed over the last couple of years.

Comment

The plans do call for a training facility north of the stadium, which would be used for multiple sports. This is especially important for baseball and softball as they currently have to conduct their indoor practices in the Barn. In addition, the basketball teams sometimes have to practice there. The new facility would be a boon to the entire Jackrabbit athletic program, but getting the money will be the great challenge, considering there are numerous other campus projects that need money (PAC Phase II, new Shepard, ongoing scholarship demands, CAS upgrades/replacement, library, etc.) with little or no state money possible.....

Comment

The bottom line is if you enjoy and attend athletic events, we need to help out any way we can. :-/

Comment

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before on here, but I heard a rumor that Budweiser was willing to build a new football field for SDSU as long as they were the sponsor and got to sell beer there. Does anybody know if this is true and if it is why SDSU turned them down.

Comment

I have heard that the indoor practice facility will also be used for tailgating activities. They could use it as a place to warm up at half time too. This facility would do so much for the athletic program, and really affect recruiting in baseball, softball, soccer, tennis, football, track, and cross country. The golf team could probably do some things in there too. That means two thirds of our athletic teams could train in this facility. Does anyone know how big the football field would be. It would be awesome to have a full sized field in there.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell2006
                        I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before on here, but I heard a rumor that Budweiser was willing to build a new football field for SDSU as long as they were the sponsor and got to sell beer there. Does anybody know if this is true and if it is why SDSU turned them down.

AND THEN THEY BROUGHT BEER!!!!! [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

I love the idea but can't ever see it happening!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell2006
                          I think that is one of the "urban myths" that have been floating around SDSU. The "we'll pay for the entire student union in excahnge for one tap in the basement" would also be fit into that category.

As for the alcohol, not many college stadiums serve beer. Continue the tailgating and hope we never hire Glen Mason after the Gophs finally decide to can him:
                          http://www.startribune.com/512/story/749275.html
                          • Mason said some of that negative reaction might be attributed to alcohol.

"I'll probably get criticized for saying this, but a lot of drinking goes on in there," he said. "We serve alcohol in that stadium. Not many college stadiums do that. I was at one game, looking up there, I thought, 'Where's Fox News? There's a lot of underage drinking out there because I know that guy ain't 21.' Right?"

Comment

SDSU doesn't need to sell Beer at games, not that it would every happen anyway. Besides, that's what the Backyard is for.

With continued progress and respectable staff and teams, the dollars will continue to come in.

Comment

Our former NCC member Northern Colorado is one of the few that do serve beer. Having a member of the Coors family on the Board of Control, Trustees, Regents whatever they are called that governs Northern C. had much to do with that. Also the Coors family helped financially with the building of Nottingham Field.

I have a hard time believing that Budweiser is so hard up and determined to spend advertizing dollars, that they will come to Brookings SD and build a football staduim just to get 11,000 students to buy their beer. Its sounds like beer talk to me and nothing more.

I also recall another rumor running around Brookings a while back and that was the notion that Cabella's wanted to build a store in the old KMart store and some how the City Commissioner nixed the idea. That was another bald face rumor. Cabella would never have considered Brookings because the traffic up I-29 is no where the traffic that passes through Mitchell on I-90 and there is just not the same amount of people to make a Cabella store work. I think Budwiser would draw similar marketing observations.

A individual who I know and was involved in economic development with the Brookings Chamber of Commerce  said its been a real uphill battle to get big box retailers of any sort to come to Brookings. He also told me that they had tried hard to get Scheels to build in Brookings and that was a no go too. (Not a big enough market)
                              Thats why there was the vote to approve the subsidy for Lowes Home Improvement store as it too is a gamble to get other retailers to come to Brookings. Watertown with a larger trade area has had much better success in attracting retailers and at times this is cutting into the Brookings shopping area.

Unless some one else can prove differently, the Budweiser staduim in exchange for beer sales is just beer talk. It would require BOR approval and even if that approval came with ease, the market of Brookings is not sufficient to pay for a new staduim. I apologize for being off topic.

Our new staduim will happen, but it will happen with small donations mostly and maybe we will find a person who wants to give big time, but the big donors are  what Sid Bostic and Keith Mehlum are working very hard to find in reaching our 20 million dollar goal and maybe beyond that.

Comment

Working...
                              X