Cal-Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal-Poly

Finally, it arrives.  Our first conference game, on the road, against the highest ranked team in our conference.  6 weeks ago I would have said "ice cubes chance in hell" when asked about our chances to win this game.  Now, with the way our defense is playing, I think we have a decent shot.

Pass defense will be the biggest issue if the Cal-Poly team is anything like last years.  That 6'6" kid who could practically fly was unstoppable in the first 10 minutes of the game, then, they stopped using him and let us back in.  The way we have performed against the run the last several weeks I think Cal-Poly will be planning to pass the ball, a lot.

Don't know too much about this years Mustang team except that they must be darn good.  If it wasn't the pheasant opener I would be on the charter headed out there.

Not sure the bye week hurts, helps, or a little of both.  We certainly have momentum now, but the rest and the prep time will be valuable.  What am I gonna do this weekend?  No Jacks football, midnight madness perhaps?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Cal-Poly

From what Chris Kelly has written and from the results of their games so far, it seems their offense is actually down compared to the last couple of years. Considering their offense was a distant second to their defense in the last couple of years, I like our chances of containing their offense. They probably feel the same way about our offense and their defense. That would lead a reasonable prognosticator to believe the game would come down to special teams. We have the best kicker in the biz. I like our chances. I've said since week 2 that I think we win this game. I'm sticking to it and will gladly quote this posting once we win. It's early, but I see us winning this game:

SDSU: 13
    Cal-Poly: 10
    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Hey Guys - Poly's strength IS the defense. That, and shutting Noble down in runs. Their Soph. QB is struggling, but managed a couple of bombs to win over a determined SUU team. WE MUST AVOID TURNOVERS TO WIN THIS!!

If we make this a defensive battle, and the game becomes a kicking dual, that bodes well for the bunnies. If we have all three of our star backs, and we keep playing the short pass game, with occasional bombs, we could do well. Need to protect Kardoes well.

Both Poly and SDSU will be coming of a bye week, so should both be rested.

In talking with Slostang, he's reporting that the 'Stang players stating that Jacks were the toughest game of the year, for hitting, and hard play. Should be another super tough game for both teams. I'm hoping the Jacks can get the win, but at the same time, I REALLY want Poly into the play-offs as the only GWFC team that can get there. Homecoming, GWFC title 1/2 in Poly's pocket, I think Poly's going to have our # for the third straight year.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
         I hope to have my birds in the bag by 2:00 pm so I can listen to the kickoff on WNAX. If it wasn't the pheasant opener I would be on the charter headed out there.

Jackmd. Plenty of time to bag your limit of birds. Kickoff is 6pm Central. I for one hope to have a great day and be ready to kick back with friends for a few cold ones by 6:00 and listen to the game.

Comment

Originally posted by SD_Theta
          [quote author=jackmd link=1160510625/0#0 date=1160510625] I hope to have my birds in the bag by 2:00 pm so I can listen to the kickoff on WNAX.  If it wasn't the pheasant opener I would be on the charter headed out there.

Jackmd.  Plenty of time to bag your limit of birds.  Kickoff is 6pm Central.  I for one hope to have a great day and be ready to kick back with friends for a few cold ones by 6:00 and listen to the game.  
          [/quote]

Thanks, I'm an idiot.  I see the start is 4 pm PT, which of course means 6 pm CT, not 2 pm CT.

As for the game, hard fought seems about right.  Penalties, turnovers and special teams will probably be the main factors.  I think Bainbridge could play a big role.  Controlling field position is sometimes under appreciated.  Its going to be a great day, friends, pheasants, and the Jacks on the radio.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit
            Hey Guys - Poly's strength IS the defense.
            That's exactly what I said. This game will be a defensive battle which will come down to the special teams' play. I like our kickers (FGs and punting) over anyone in the Great West and probably 1AA. I would like to see a team make the playoffs from the Great West, but don't want anyone to win against SDSU to accomplish that goal. Unfortunately for Cal Poly, we're going to hand them a loss.

SDSU 13
            Poly 10
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Here's a novel thought in regards to the Great West. How about we win the conference? I'd much rather have that happen than have a Great West team make the playoffs. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                Here's a novel thought in regards to the Great West. How about we win the conference? I'd much rather have that happen than have a Great West team make the playoffs. Just my opinion.
                I'm in! Might as well start with a win in SLO and see where it goes from there!
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

In 2 attempts now we have come so close to beating Poly we have to be due. Year 1 they get a punt return for a touchdown and beat us by 6. Last year they got big plays on 3 drives and only scored one other time all night. We lose by 7.

If our defense can stay away from giving up the big play and our offense can avoid turnovers in our own end, I predict we will be victorious in Cali for the first time as a D-IAA
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy
                    In 2 attempts now we have come so close to beating Poly we have to be due.  Year 1 they get a punt return for a touchdown and beat us by 6.  Last year they got big plays on 3 drives and only scored one other time all night.  We lose by 7.  

If our defense can stay away from giving up the big play and our offense can avoid turnovers in our own end, I predict we will be victorious in Cali for the first time as a D-IAA
                    I am completely behind you guys, but you will have to break through the Cal Poly defense who are extremely talented and well conditioned.  Special Teams play may be an advantage you could exploit as well.  They will want to run Noble on you plain and simple, but they also look to Ramses Barden for big plays downfield.  Take out those two guys on offense, and let the young QB make mistakes, maybe get some TO's.  Go Jacks Beat Poly!

p.s. - we'll see you on Hobo Day!  Aggies have a score to settle! 8-)

Comment

I think the game may come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes. They have an excellent defense that will take advantage of any mistakes we make. The way our defense has been playing lately we should be OK. We must make sure Mr Noble doesn't get loose, he is likely the best running back we will face all season. I'll be there hoping for a Jackrabbit win....

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
                      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Originally posted by footballfan
                        I think the game may come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes. They have an excellent defense that will take advantage of any mistakes we make. The way our defense has been playing lately we should be OK. We must make sure Mr Noble doesn't get loose, he is likely the best running back we will face all season. I'll be there hoping for a Jackrabbit win....

Go Jacks  !!!!!!!
                        Agreed. Kardoes must avoid costly INTs. I'm not picking on him, but he's the one who throws the passes. He must avoid throwing them to the wrong jersey for us to win. His speed should really help considering how much pressure he's likely to see from the Poly D-line.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

Agreed.  Kardoes must avoid costly INTs.  I'm not picking on him, but he's the one who throws the passes.  He must avoid throwing them to the wrong jersey for us to win.  His speed should really help considering how much pressure he's likely to see from the Poly D-line.
                          Stop picking on Andy!!!  Its clear you have something against him as a person.  Don't you understand he is trying his best every game?  haveaclue would you?  (Some people consider this kind of reply constructive).  I don't considerate it constructive or even appropriate but to each their own. Now, how I really feel:

I agree with fbf and MJA.  Our O-line and D-line have improved so much and they deserve every opportunity to win this game.  That means solid special teams, decent secondary coverage, and a responsible effort from the QB and RBs and their coaches, i.e., no fumbles, no INTs, no stupid stuff.  Now, that not realistic.  These guys are humans and on top of that they are young so mistakes happen.  Andy has to have learned from some of those recent mistakes, I expect he has, and I think he is ready to lead this team as the conference season starts.

All that said, Cal-Poly is way better than Nicholls, McNeese, and UCA.  I think they are probably better tha Montana and we know what happened over there.  So, we need our best effort of the season.  I think this team can do it.

Comment

I'm not sold that Poly is as good as Montana this year, but it's close. I agree that the Jacks will need minimal mistakes and penalties. A few TD's will be needed. I expect to see more of using Andy's running and options versus passing. I thought UCA's defense was as fast at the line and LB as I've seen, but Poly is definetly in another league there. Will also need a few big plays and good field position to use Parker to get points on the board.

While I think Jacks have a good shot, I'm giving Poly the odds in this game. 17-13

Comment

;D I AGREE!

Comment

Working...
                              X