Time for a change at the top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a change at the top

Interpret that how you would like.  If you agree feel free to explain why.  If you disagree please state your point.  I understand that FB has not been a priority previous to the move to DI.  However, it has now garnered a lot more attention.  If I'm wrong put me in my place.  Don't use some lame argument like 2 games don't define a career.  At what point do you define a career?  10 games, 3 years, 10 years?

This is a team with great, talented kids, some passionate fans, and a lot of expectations being lead into battle with no game plan and essentially no chance.  I wonder if they even think they can win.

Yeah, the sun will come up tomorrow and against UNI we "have a chance".  This year is going to hurt and hurt badly.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Time for a change at the top

simply put they suck, andy sucks, the coaches preparation has sucked.  the fans won't put up with this much more before voicing their opinion of the team with boos which after 2 horrible performances they deserve.  Stig has got to be feeling some job security starting to drop.  you can only defend players so much andy had his year of defense, next qb please

Comment

I won't disagree that a change needs to be made at the top but I don't think you are looking far enough up the tree. I am not yet suggesting Fred needs to go but I am saying that they need to take a different look at how they support the football program.

If it is Stig's last year then it is. But they better figure out a way to infuse some money into the program to pay coaches and to support their work. Not have them teaching classes (more than coaching football), and having to work boosters for enough money to get upgraded to a third class video system.

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
        I won't disagree that a change needs to be made at the top but I don't think you are looking far enough up the tree.  I am not yet suggesting Fred needs to go but  I am saying that they need to take a different look at how they support the football program.  

If it is Stig's last year then it is.  But they better figure out a way to infuse some money into the program to pay coaches and to support their work.  Not have them teaching classes (more than coaching football), and having to work boosters for enough money to get upgraded to a third class video system.  
        Agreed, Stig is probably handcuffed to a certain extent. He is such a good guy with great perspective that he hasn't made enough people aware of the problems and now he will take the heat. Knowing Stig, he will exit quietly and move on or perhaps remain in a different roll (I would let him decide).

Are there people who expect Stig to coach until he decides to leave? If so I would call that naive. I think plenty of us new the transition would be hard on the current coaches. At least those of us with our eyes open and looking toward the future.

Stig understands the nature of college FB. His team isn't meeting his expectations. He isn't meeting his teams expectations. Emotions can't be set aside and decisions are tough but the current direction is the wrong one. I don't see how those points can be argued but would be willing to listen.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
          simply put they suck, andy sucks, the coaches preparation has sucked.  the fans won't put up with this much more before voicing their opinion of the team with boos which after 2 horrible performances they deserve.  Stig has got to be feeling some job security starting to drop.  you can only defend players so much andy had his year of defense, next qb please
          We get your point - we know that you don't want kardoes at QB, can you please move on to something else now? Thanks

Comment

Boy md, you're just stirring the pot aren't you ;D

My case is too long to type you there. I think I'd get cut off.  I do remember PM'ing someone last year with my reasons for my feelings on the direction of the program. Wish I still had that because it would be easier than trying to remember what I typed.

Here's what I do remember from 10 years ago though. Four finalists were interviewed.
            1. Mike Breske - was UNC's DC, just coming off a National Championship, really blew off his interview because he had a good thing going at UNC. Not sure where he's at now, but I know he's successful.
            2. Can't remember the other non-SDSU buy brought in. Al Molde seems to be a name that pops in my head. He's the AD at Gustavus. Just wouldn't have been a fit at all for SDSU.
            3. Stig - look at the discussion we're having now.
            4. Gerry Gdowski - went to New Mexico State, was OC there, now at Ohio University with Frank Solich. At the time he was considered "too young" by some on the committee. In actuality he was the same age as our head MBB coach at the time, Scott Nagy.

Why bring this up? Because IMO selecting a head coach has to include looking not only at what the coach can do on the field, but what they can bring in for assistants and what they can do off the field.  There's discussions on this board about bringing in new blood for a president, well when Stig was hired there was no new blood brought in (sorry, one newbie that was looking for his next job the day he arrived) and he's proven that recycling coaches is part of his way of operating.

I favored GG at the time because he was a young, hungry coach with Nebraska ties that could have brought in some new blood with recruiting ties all over the country. Yes, he was my OC which also influenced my feelings to an extent. But bottom line was someone with new ideas and great contacts in the coaching world was an exciting thought for the future of the program.

Now, 10 years later the FB team IMO is no better than the day Daly left.  Three of the six assistants are recycled GA's.  The other three actually do have some experience behind them, which is good.  I don't want to hear boo about the $$ these coaches get offered and that limiting our ability to hire quality assistants. There are good coaches out there willing to work for what these guys get paid.

OK, enough for now. Battle armor up. I'm in md's corner.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I am not going to spend an entire week harping on this like last week. Things are bad and there is no way around it. This is my .02 and then I am going away for a week.

Offense - this group has never really performed. But has anyone noticed that since Eidsness left we haven't had a coordinator. Wilkinson is listed as the passing game coordinator and Meadows is listed as the Run game coordinator. I've never been a fan of a two headed anything when it comes to leadership and this experiment has not worked. I still think in the end they are going to do what they think is best for the team and there must be something they see that they don't like in the other qb's. Because they do know the nature of their business and that they are on 1 year contracts.

Defense - Hasn't done much since Ballard left. The current D-coordinator just hasn't gotten the job done. This is inherent in the fact that we don't pay people to bring them in. All we get to interview are lower level D-II coordinators because that is what we are stilll paying for.

Many of these decisions do fall to the head coach. But the larger picture is the AD has not done the job at all. I know Fred is popular here but he is a showman. He knows how to make it look good with smoke and mirrors but he has done nothing of substance since the move. I know this move was done mostly for basketball but then we need to decide what we want out of our football team and go with it. If it is athletes that work hard in the classroom, are good in the community and come out and represent the university well. Then we have the right guy and they are spending the right amount of money on the program. If more is expected then more must be done. With or without Stig. Because a change will do no good without support.

Otherwise its just smoke and mirrors.

Comment

)
                and he's proven that recycling coaches is part of his way of operating
                W lost our entire defensive staff two years ago to better opportunities. One of those people left for the same job at a D-II school and was paid better. And he wasn't working on a 1 year contract.

Comment

)
                  W lost our entire defensive staff two years ago to better opportunities. One of those people left for the same job at a D-II school and was paid better. And he wasn't working on a 1 year contract.
                  Take the one-year contract issue off the table.

Montana seems to do OK with state-mandated one-year contracts. Sure, it may make success a bit more difficult, but the reality of the coaching profession is that it's a "what have you done for me lately" industry. With one-year contracts you don't have to worry (as much) about big buy-out clauses in the contracts.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'm with MD and Catch em on this topic. Refer to the last 10 years as to why.

Basketball is king at SDSU. But not to me. I love SDSU football, in fact, I'm crazy about it (ask my wife). I can't stand to see us struggling like this. We need change.

Comment

)
                      W lost our entire defensive staff two years ago to better opportunities.  One of those people left for the same job at a D-II school and was paid better.  And he wasn't working on a 1 year contract.
                      These are all valid points that merit respect. The fact is this team is not prepared to compete at ANY LEVEL. DIII, NAIA, DI, etc.. they cannot compete right now. That fact doesn't need excuses, what we need are answers. Dr. Oien has some good programs at SDSU, the Stig lead one is not one of them.

Comment

There are a ton of tough opponents on the schedule this year, but the thing is, this reality is not going to change. There will always be a lot of tough teams on the schedule. We have to figure out a way to get more money, besides scholarships, into the football program and improve our recruiting. Stig is one problem, but there are a whole host of other ones too.

Comment

These are all valid points that merit respect. The fact is this team is not prepared to compete at ANY LEVEL. DIII, NAIA, DI, etc.. they cannot compete right now. That fact doesn't need excuses, what we need are answers. Dr. Oien has some good programs at SDSU, the Stig lead one is not one of them.
                          Neither of the Men's high-profile teams have shown very much. Football has shown flashes of improvement, as has basketball, but until we can mount what everyone would consider a very good campaign in one of these two sports, the D1 move will still be suspect in the minds of casual fans. We need the interest of casual fans.

Comment

Those who think Stig should stay let us know why. Those who want Kardoes to start next week tell us why. What are the benefits of no change and what are the risks if we make a change? Why should things stay the same?

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak
                              Neither of the Men's high-profile teams have shown very much. Football has shown flashes of improvement, as has basketball, but until we can mount what everyone would consider a very good campaign in one of these two sports, the D1 move will still be suspect in the minds of casual fans. We need the interest of casual fans.
                              This is an excellent point.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X