Sioux Falls media bias against SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux Falls media bias against SDSU

I watched the Netcast of KELO last night and they put Augie losing to Central Washington and the score of USD getting beat by Mankato (which is just hillarious) before they put the story of the Rabbits beating ANOTHER ranked team on. Between the Argus Leader and Keloland I am amazed the SDSU gets any positive coverage at all. Both of them are so Pro USD/Augie it is sick. Take the headline on Argusleader.com today for the Rabbits story: "Another Shock: Jacks Beat Davis"
    http://argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0202/610290342
    Why is it such a shock? This is the 4th highly ranked team they have beaten this year.
    It gets old, its been going on for years. Instead of trying to get behind SDSU and support them on being the premier athletic program in the state, which they are, they want to have the dilusion that the other schools have as much support in South Dakota.

Any other thoughts out there?

Re: Sioux Falls media bias against SDSU

I don't like the headline either, but headlines are hastily written, probably by someone other than the author.  I think we should enjoy the article content with quotes, historical perspective, and accurate reporting, and not worry about the headline.  It appears that we have a real accurate and interested writer in Terry Vandrovec.  He will write stories that allow the Argus readers to make up their own minds.  That is a lot more important than the headline writer.

Comment

If you want a bigger laugh KSFY led with Minnesota High School Football Playoffs and then the Jacks game with Augie, USD and USF to follow and then, of course, the LAW DOGS coverage.  

I do agree with WRJ that the headline is not that big of a deal.  I didn't see the paper version but in the on-line version the main story was STATE FOOTBALL.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy
        If you want a bigger laugh KSFY led with Minnesota High School Football Playoffs and then the Jacks game with Augie, USD and USF to follow and then, of course, the LAW DOGS coverage.  

I do agree with WRJ that the headline is not that big of a deal.  I didn't see the paper version but in the on-line version the main story was STATE FOOTBALL.
        I tend to feel the same way. The headline is lame but harmless.

However, it is ridiculous and laughable that they can't get on board. Really, what are they waiting for? Anyone with the common sense of a donkey should realize the magnitude of the move to DI and the relative success at this point. There is no need to decrease coverage of local teams but please have the foresight and energy to increase the coverage of the states only DI team, which, outside of a small area in the SE corner of the state, is understood to be the best thing going for SD right now.

Earlier this week I was asking a friend, who is not a big sports fan, which team he likes to support. He said USD because at least they are winning. I told him he was ignorant and he said "maybe I am but thats what I have seen and read." There is a problem here and Terry is the first step in fixing it at the Argus.

KELO has become hopeless. KSFY did lead their 6 pm sports with SDSU but then they feature the Lawdogs. Come on, the Lawdogs. Grow up and accept the fact that DI sports are and will be the feature in SD from this point forward. Its not semi-pro hockey or lacrosse or soccer or whatever else.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I agree that the headline is basically harmless in the Argus. But it was quite handy today. Trust me, this has been going on since I played in the early 90's, and after 15 plus years of sub par coverage, it has gotten to me a bit.
          But now it is more important that the media outlets get on board!
          I think they should televise at least one game per year for the rabbits. The athletic dept has done a great job of making the game an event, so I don't think they have to worry about people not showing up if they televise the games. Give the residents of Rapid City the opportunity to watch the 'Bits. 15k+ fans at a State game after pheasant opener is impressive. This alone should be enough to show the media folks that the people of South Dakota care more about SDSU than those other schools. I would like to know how many SDSU alum live in Sioux Falls. I would bet it is more than the other 2 schools for sure, but I guess demographics don't matter to KELO, KSFY, Argus, etc..
          Oh did anyone notice that Cal Poly beat the other SDSU last night? This makes our victory even more impressive from last week.

Comment

My feelings are: Does Nebraska TV stations open up with Nebraska-Omaha or Huskers highlights? Does Iowa TV stations open up with Morningside or and Iowa State? Does Minnesota TV Stations open up with the Gophers or Minnesota-Duluth? My guess is they open up with Huskers, Iowa and Iowa St., and Gophers.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64
              I agree that the headline is basically harmless in the Argus. But it was quite handy today. Trust me, this has been going on since I played in the early 90's, and after 15 plus years of sub par coverage, it has gotten to me a bit.
              But now it is more important that the media outlets get on board!
              I think they should televise at least one game per year for the rabbits. The athletic dept has done a great job of making the game an event, so I don't think they have to worry about people not showing up if they televise the games. Give the residents of Rapid City the opportunity to watch the 'Bits. 15k+ fans at a State game after pheasant opener is impressive. This alone should be enough to show the media folks that the people of South Dakota care more about SDSU than those other schools. I would like to know how many SDSU alum live in Sioux Falls. I would bet it is more than the other 2 schools for sure, but I guess demographics don't matter to KELO, KSFY, Argus, etc..
              Oh did anyone notice that Cal Poly beat the other SDSU last night? This makes our victory even more impressive from last week.

I agree about televising a game a year. I think the SDSU/NDSU game should be televised in both state. But that will be up to the schools, not the television stations. It’s not Notre Dame/Michigan. It’s a I-AA game with regional interest and, sadly, probably not a lot of profit to be made. If the schools could jointly fund it for a few years and the rivalry builds, then finances will take care of themselves. But the television stations shouldn’t be expected to do it just to be nice guys. That’s not the way it works. If the Jacks play bad, the Athletic Department won’t refund your ticket price just to be nice. Maybe, as time passes, though ... it will become something viewers expect ... then demand.

As for the Argus coverage, I think it’s been fine when they’ve been at full staff. Chris was good. Stu ... he’s just Stu ... don’t sweat over him, although I understand why people do, I guess. I don’t think there’s any conspiracy against SDSU. That’s far-fetched. Newsrooms are generally only somewhat organized chaos, anyhow. And headlines are, is seems, often flawed. And they’re seldom written by reporters. Television ... wow ... I hate to even comment. Whoever gets back from the game first and pieces together a decent highlight or two will probably have the lead game. On weekends, fans are luck stations spring to pay reporters at all. Money drives the media ... just like everything else. The best you can hope for is a decent, fair reporter who is personable. And even if you have a guy like that, there will be problems because he’ll make mistakes, he’ll annoy people by asking questions people don’t like to answer and he’ll be sent on goose-chases by his superiors. It’s the nature of the beast and it’s part of the job. Oh, the media ... flawed in so many ways. I mean first, somebody tells a reporter something, then ... Was it expressed properly? Was it received properly? If so, was it put into a story without a mistake? Did an editor change it? Do readers properly interperate written words in which there is no voice inflection? Do they mistake something? Did the reporter use a particular word intentionally -- to make a point -- is was it just the word that popped into mind and bled through the keyboad and into the newspaper? Who knows these things? It’s impossible. I’d say miscommunication is far more common than bias. But ... what do I know?

Comment

Once SDSU begins playing in the Mid-Con, expect some basketball games to become televised. A team that's in a conference and contending is more marketable than a team in D-1 independent purgatory. The same principle will apply for football, particularly if SDSU joins the Gateway.

Televised Jackrabbit games will happen; it just takes time to get the details and the dollars in place......

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                  Once SDSU begins playing in the Mid-Con, expect some basketball games to become televised. A team that's in a conference and contending is more marketable than a team in D-1 independent purgatory. The same principle will apply for football, particularly if SDSU joins the Gateway.

Televised Jackrabbit games will happen; it just takes time to get the details and the dollars in place......
                  Agreed, several good points under this topic. The Argus staff, the newsrooms in Sioux Falls and the media in general in the SE is trying to cater to the local readers and viewers which support their existence. I'm not expecting them to stop doing that. Just asking that they recognize the changing landscape and adapt in a timely fashion. Perhaps I am expecting that to happen more rapidly that it will/should.

I made a few ill-timed and idiotic comments about Stu Whitney, I can't take them back. My expectations are probably a little too high. I think thats why his attempt at humor with the article on forums in the Argus today missed me entirely. He must be frequenting the Argus board or some high school forum. Then again, as jivebunny stated, Stu is Stu and generally harmless. I would, however, love to hear his honest opinion about covering DI athletics.

Lastly, time will bring with it change. I'd just like to see a little excitement from those reporting that change.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU
                    My feelings are: Does Nebraska TV stations open up with Nebraska-Omaha or Huskers highlights? Does Iowa TV stations open up with Morningside or and Iowa State? Does Minnesota TV Stations open up with the Gophers or Minnesota-Duluth? My guess is they open up with Huskers, Iowa and Iowa St., and Gophers.

Trust me...NO ONE is opening with Gopher highlights. Although if there's anyone else in the Metro area or has a KFAN Affiliate in their region let all call and start pimping SDSU a little bit. Paul Allen, voice of the Vikings, has really adopted NDSU on his daily morning show. Time to get them to spread the love a little. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64
                      I watched the Netcast of KELO last night and they put Augie losing to Central Washington and the score of USD getting beat by Mankato (which is just hillarious) before they put the story of the Rabbits beating ANOTHER ranked team on. Between the Argus Leader and Keloland I am amazed the SDSU gets any positive coverage at all. Both of them are so Pro USD/Augie it is sick. Take the headline on Argusleader.com today for the Rabbits story: "Another Shock: Jacks Beat Davis"
                      http://argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0202/610290342
                      Why is it such a shock? This is the 4th highly ranked team they have beaten this year.
                      It gets old, its been going on for years. Instead of trying to get behind SDSU and support them on being the premier athletic program in the state, which they are, they want to have the dilusion that the other schools have as much support in South Dakota.

Any other thoughts out there?
                      I don't think its that unfair to say "Shock" in the article. UC Davis was ranked, we weren't. We came from 11 down in the fourth quarter to beat them. Some people left when we were down 21-7 at the half, I would think it came as a shock to them that we held UC Davis without a point during the second half, after giving up 21 and the worst performance of the season on defense during the first half.

Comment

Originally posted by Statebasketballfan
                        I don't think its that unfair to say "Shock" in the article.  UC Davis was ranked, we weren't.  We came from 11 down in the fourth quarter to beat them.  Some people left when we were down 21-7 at the half, I would think it came as a shock to them that we held UC Davis without a point during the second half, after giving up 21 and the worst performance of the season on defense during the first half.  
                        Uh oh we may have a poser here.  Critical of a couple of verbal commitments on the basketball side and of some ill-timed injuries (which are certainly not the fault of anyone) and now unwilling to admit that we should be favored on homecoming in front of 15,000 against a team we beat the year before.  I've got to wonder about this poster.  Maybe I'm paranoid.

I don't think its a "shock" to beat a team only  two years ahead in the transition period on our home field.  We have 2 losses at the IAA level this year to teams ranked in the top 10.  We had 4 wins against previously ranked teams going into the UC-Davis game.  I'm going to have to throw the BS flag on this guy or at least suggest he is poorly informed (yes that mean ignorant).

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                          [quote author=Statebasketballfan link=1162132156/0#10 date=1162254161]
                          I don't think its that unfair to say "Shock" in the article.  UC Davis was ranked, we weren't.  We came from 11 down in the fourth quarter to beat them.  Some people left when we were down 21-7 at the half, I would think it came as a shock to them that we held UC Davis without a point during the second half, after giving up 21 and the worst performance of the season on defense during the first half.  
                          Oh oh we may have a poser here.  Critical of a couple of verbal commitments on the basketball side and of some ill-timed injuries (which are certainly not the fault of anyone) and now unwilling to admit that we should be favored on homecoming in front of 15,000 against a team we beat the year before.  I've got to wonder about this poster.  Maybe I'm paranoid.

I don't think its a "shock" to beat a team only  two years ahead in the transition period on our home field.  We have 2 losses at the IAA level this year to teams ranked in the top 10.  We had 4 wins against previously ranked teams going into the UC-Davis game.  I'm going to have to throw the BS flag on this guy or at least suggest he is poorly informed (yes that mean ignorant).[/quote]

I agree, this guy is way too reasonable to be a true Jacks fan. He has to be a poser.

The media obviously does have a bias towards SDSU. They know there is more interest in SDSU games, yet they are willing to turn their audience away by not giving SDSU proper coverage. The Argus knows they could sell more papers by giving more positive coverage towards SDSU, but apparantly thats not what they are interested in. They are more interested in writing about USD and the Sioux Falls schools. Why they continue to do this, even though there are a lot more people interested in how SDSU is doing, is beyond me. You would think a newspaper would be concerned about selling newspapers, but I guess not.
                          Same goes for KELO and KSFY. Why do they try to piss off their viewers?

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                            [quote author=Statebasketballfan link=1162132156/0#10 date=1162254161]
                            I don't think its that unfair to say "Shock" in the article. UC Davis was ranked, we weren't. We came from 11 down in the fourth quarter to beat them. Some people left when we were down 21-7 at the half, I would think it came as a shock to them that we held UC Davis without a point during the second half, after giving up 21 and the worst performance of the season on defense during the first half.
                            Uh oh we may have a poser here. Critical of a couple of verbal commitments on the basketball side and of some ill-timed injuries (which are certainly not the fault of anyone) and now unwilling to admit that we should be favored on homecoming in front of 15,000 against a team we beat the year before. I've got to wonder about this poster. Maybe I'm paranoid.

I don't think its a "shock" to beat a team only two years ahead in the transition period on our home field. We have 2 losses at the IAA level this year to teams ranked in the top 10. We had 4 wins against previously ranked teams going into the UC-Davis game. I'm going to have to throw the BS flag on this guy or at least suggest he is poorly informed (yes that mean ignorant).[/quote]

Never mind, I guess a 20 year fan of SDSU is a poser. I apologize for offending this board with my idiotic comments.

Comment

Originally posted by juice
                              I agree, this guy is way too reasonable to be a true Jacks fan.  He has to be a poser.  

The media obviously does have a bias towards SDSU.  They know there is more interest in SDSU games, yet they are willing to turn their audience away by not giving SDSU proper coverage.  The Argus knows they could sell more papers by giving more positive coverage towards SDSU, but apparantly thats not what they are interested in.  They are more interested in writing about USD and the Sioux Falls schools.  Why they continue to do this, even though there are a lot more people interested in how SDSU is doing, is beyond me.  You would think a newspaper would be concerned about selling newspapers, but I guess not.
                              Same goes for KELO and KSFY.  Why do they try to piss off their viewers?
                              The first paragraph is a jab at the new guy. If he is for real he'll be just fine. Read the second paragraph and you might understand why an insightful headline writer might choose a different title. Perhaps "Another Shocking Comeback by SDSU". It really wasn't a "schock" to that we won. Nice attempt at sarcasm but not good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X