• Show
Clear All

• Kardoes, king of the comeback

Nice story about Andy in the Brookings Register Saturday:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/fe_...&heading=0

Kardoes, king of the comeback
    Posted: Saturday, Nov 4th, 2006
    BY: Mike Johnson

On Sept. 2, the South Dakota State University Jackrabbits football team suffered a season-opening 17-3 loss to Division-II (I) Wisconsin-Lacrosse at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

The Jacks went on to lose their next two games as well, falling to 0-3 with fans’ hopes for the season fading fast.

Now, some two months later, the Jacks find themselves in the midst of a five-game winning streak and have earned a National I-AA ranking of 24th for the first time in the school’s history.

“It feels pretty cool,” quarterback Andy Kardoes said. “As far as our team goes, we just need to keep that belief going. Hopefully we win out, that’s our goal.”

So where did the turnaround come from? Look no further than Kardoes and the resurgent aerial assualt sqaud.

Kardoes’ passing numbers have improved in each of the last four games, and he has thrown multiple touchdowns in three of the last five.

The turnaround may actually have come in the Jacks’ third loss of the season, at the University of Northern Iowa, as Kardoes looked like he and his receivers were on the same page for the first time all season.

Though he plays quarterback and some would expect him to do more damage with his arm, Kardoes said it was actually another weapon, his legs, that helped him get in the groove.

“Coming into that game, I had asked the coaches if they’d let me run the ball a little bit more,” Kardoes said. “I figured that if I could get hit a few times, it might help.”

Fans need only to take a look at the numbers to see where this mid-season turnaround originated from.

In three SDSU losses, Kardoes completed only 47 percent of his throws for an average of 118 yards passing per game. In the five Jackrabbit wins, Kardoes has completed 58 percent of his passes and thrown for an average of 202 yards per game.

Throw in his 8-to-3 touchdown to interception ratio over the same amount of time, and the result is five SDSU wins and first place in the Great West Football Conference. . . . (read more)

Go State!
Working...
X