Kyle Sheehan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle Sheehan

Some of you may have heard of this kid already but now it looks to be official.  This will help out the D-Line a ton....

He's a 6'4" 275 lb freshman from MN who originally signed with Purdue.  I think he was a 3 star Rivals recruit....

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary...se_9-20-06.pdf

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewpros...37&Sport=1

Top college choices were Purdue, Minn., Ohio State and Vandy

From Scout.com http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&...mp;nid=1965495

Sheehan is the No.2 defensive tackle prospect in the Midwest. He transferred to Fairmont High from Grayson, Georgia after his junior year. Sheehan had an amazing senior season, racking up 81 tackles, 19 tackles for loss and 11 sacks on defense. He had 9 receptions for 111 yards and a touchdown as a tight end. Sheehan had a team high 64 pancake blocks as well. Grandfather, Terry Sheehan, was a two-time All-American football player at Purdue in the 1950's

http://purduesports.cstv.com/sports/...011006aaa.html
    WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Purdue football coach Joe Tiller today announced the signing of Minnesota high school student-athlete Kyle Sheehan to a National Letter-of-Intent.

The 6-foot-3, 245-pound Sheehan is a defensive tackle from Fairmont, Minn. He has enrolled at Purdue, currently is taking classes and will participate in spring practice, which is scheduled to begin April 5.

Kyle Sheehan, DT, 6-3, 245, Fairmont, Minn. (Fairmont)
    Three-star recruit by Rivals.com ... ranked as No. 35 defensive tackle in nation and No. 3 player in Minnesota by Rivals.com ... first team all-state selection by MinnesotaPreps.com as senior in his lone season at Fairmont ... named Southern Minnesota Alliance Defensive Player of the Year and first team all-conference ... amassed 66 tackles, including 13.5 for loss and 3.5 sacks, to go with five pass breakups and three forced fumbles ... came up with seven receptions for 75 yards (10.7 average) and one touchdown as tight end and 64 pancake blocks ... earned Player of the Week honors three times and Player of the Game laurels twice ... coach was Troy Cody ... previously attended Grayson High School in Loganville, Ga. ... named honorable mention all-county after recording 35 tackles, including eight for loss, as junior ... has been timed at 4.81 in the 40-yard dash ... grandfather, Terry Sheehan, lettered at Purdue as a football center from 1957 to 1959.

Re: Kyle Sheehan

This weeks media release shows him one of the #2's in the depth chart on DE.

Comment

That is a real nice pick up for the dline. Heaven know we need the help there.

Comment

What's his story? Anyone know how he ended up in Brookings?
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I would be interested in knowing what his story is also.

He looks like a good recruit though.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I do know we recruited Kyle out of high school, and he did attend State's summer football camp. My youngest son remembers him and said he was an animal.
            I've heard he wanted an opportunity to play DE instead of DT.

GO STATE
            Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

We would probably let him play QB if wanted to. ;D ;D ;D
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I read a few news articles earlier today about Kyle. Looks like he committed to Purdue without even visiting other schools. He then graduated early (he's a 4.0 student) and began his studies at Purdue in Jan. 05 and particpated in spring ball. He hurt his shoulder and had surgery during spring ball.

Sounds like he wanted to make a quick decision about school so he wouldn't have to worry about it his senior year. He later learned he made the wrong decision. Too bad for Purdue, and good for SDSU!

Comment

This is wonderful news for the Jacks as this kid was really heralded for his play in both Georgia and his senior year at Fairmont. It sounds like getting to know the Jacks coaches at their camp this summer gave him a comfort level in coming here after things didn't work out at Purdue. I know the Gophers really wanted him. Our defensive line is shaping up for the future and I think he could make us better in a hurry, but regardless of his talent potential he is still young but with that size he could be a real force.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                    This is wonderful news for the Jacks as this kid was really heralded for his play in both Georgia and his senior year at Fairmont. It sounds like getting to know the Jacks coaches at their camp this summer gave him a comfort level in coming here after things didn't work out at Purdue. I know the Gophers really wanted him. Our defensive line is shaping up for the future and I think he could make us better in a hurry, but regardless of his talent potential he is still young but with that size he could be a real force.
                    I think our D-line is looking pretty darn good as well.

DE's:
                    Jason Bonwell 6'0" 250lbs Jr.
                    Kyle Sheehan 6'4" 275 Fr.
                    Danny Batten 6'4" 240 Fr.
                    Antonio Thompson 6'3" 230 Fr.
                    Ruey Dei 6'5" 235 So.
                    Jason Nobling 6'5" 240 So.

NT/DT
                    Mitch Pontrelli 6'2" 270 Jr.
                    Willie Jones 6'1" 270 Sr.
                    Eric Schroeder 6'4" 275 So.
                    Steve Bazata 6'5" 270 RsFr.

Only 1 senior out of the whole group. These guys could be the key to the future...

Comment

Just did a google search on Kyle.......lots of info to read. Looks like he had a shoulder injury and left Purdue quite unexpectedly. Hope it works out in our favor. Hope to find out more, sounds like a good player to have.

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
                      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

The AD at Fairmont High School is Randy Soma, former GA for the football program. He may have helped steer Kyle to SDSU. If so, thanks Soma!
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by footballfan
                          Just did a google search on Kyle.......lots of info to read. Looks like he had a shoulder injury and left Purdue quite unexpectedly. Hope it works out in our favor. Hope to find out more, sounds like a good player to have.

Go Jacks  !!!!!!!

Here is some of the fun stuff I found.

http://purduesports.cstv.com/sports/...011006aaa.html

Jan. 10, 2006

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Purdue football coach Joe Tiller today announced the signing of Minnesota high school student-athlete Kyle Sheehan to a National Letter-of-Intent.

The 6-foot-3, 245-pound Sheehan is a defensive tackle from Fairmont, Minn. He has enrolled at Purdue, currently is taking classes and will participate in spring practice, which is scheduled to begin April 5.

Kyle Sheehan, DT, 6-3, 245, Fairmont, Minn. (Fairmont)
                          Three-star recruit by Rivals.com ... ranked as No. 35 defensive tackle in nation and No. 3 player in Minnesota by Rivals.com ... first team all-state selection by MinnesotaPreps.com as senior in his lone season at Fairmont ... named Southern Minnesota Alliance Defensive Player of the Year and first team all-conference ... amassed 66 tackles, including 13.5 for loss and 3.5 sacks, to go with five pass breakups and three forced fumbles ... came up with seven receptions for 75 yards (10.7 average) and one touchdown as tight end and 64 pancake blocks ... earned Player of the Week honors three times and Player of the Game laurels twice ... coach was Troy Cody ... previously attended Grayson High School in Loganville, Ga. ... named honorable mention all-county after recording 35 tackles, including eight for loss, as junior ... has been timed at 4.81 in the 40-yard dash . . . (read more)

And so more news:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...070/SPORTS0602

Sheehan leaves: Defensive tackle Kyle Sheehan, considered a top player in Purdue's 2006 recruiting class by most analysts, has left the team. He enrolled at Purdue in January and had been slowed by a shoulder injury. . . . (read more)

Glad he is now a Jackrabbit! 8-)

Go State!

Comment

From what I heard, Kyle committed to Purdue without visiting there. also family pressure played a major part of his commit to Purdue. While at a SDSU team camp the summer before his senior year at Fairmont, he and Coach Sarvis formed a friendship and he was told if anything ever went wrong at Purdue, he would be welcome here.....well Purdue also wanted to convert him to the OL and he did not want to. He may only be a true freshman, he will make the typical freshman mistakes, but I believe he will be a good one. I also think it proves that with a little time our coaching staff will show how good they really are. Coach Sarvis is a good coach.

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!
                            http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Originally posted by footballfan
                              He may only be a true freshman
                              That makes this get really nice ... It seems like when players transfer from BCS programs down a level or two, it's usually only for their senior season or maybe their junior and senior seasons. We get Sheehan for all four years!
                              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
                              X