• Show
Clear All

• Great West Expansion

Interesting read:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_...&type=lgns

Great West looks to expand from 5 to at least 8 teams

By Tristan Aird, Mustang Daily
    November 8, 2006

(CSTV U-WIRE) SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -- The Great West Football Conference is looking into expanding to at least eight teams in order to secure an automatic bid to the Division I-AA playoffs, the Mustang Daily has learned.

In a phone interview Tuesday, Great West commissioner Ed Grom declined to name what schools the Great West has contacted about joining the football-only conference, in which Cal Poly is currently one of five I-AA teams. He said, however, that discussions are already underway and that an announcement on expansion could be made as early as January.

"We've had discussions with several schools, some out west," Grom said. "We need to expand in order to gain an NCAA automatic qualifier. We're pursuing a seventh and eighth member to solidify that."  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Re: Great West Expansion

I dont see the Great West Expansion as not being a good options and if we have two choices at once, namely the Gateway or staying put in the Great West, then I really don't know which is the best choice. It all depends on who the Great West can get to switch. If its Sacremento State and Portland State for instance switching to the Great West, does that open up the Big Sky to NDSU and SDSU? The future for conference affliation looks bright no matter how we cut the pie.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
      I dont see the Great West Expansion as not being a good options and if we have two choices at once, namely the Gateway or staying put in the Great West, then I really don't know which is the best choice. It all depends on who the Great West can get to switch. If its Sacremento State and Portland State for instance switching to the Great West, does that open up the Big Sky to NDSU and SDSU? The future for conference affliation looks bright no matter how we cut the pie.
      At one time I would have been all up in arms and excited if that were the case.  Now I say the BSC can go F--K themselves.  I want nothing to do with that conference.  What a bunch of candy asses.   ;D ;D

Comment

You're right, Bison... screw the B-S conference. They had their chance to takes us and they were chicken sh*t because of "distance", never mind the fact we were good fits.

I'm looking forward to being in the Mid-Con (or whatever they decide to call themselves). And I hope we stop the BS into the mud everytime we face them!
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Agreed. Heck with the Big Sky. If the Gateway opportunity falls through, staying in a muscled-up Great West might be the best option.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Agreed

Comment

I tend to agree also. The Big Sky no longer looks so big when it meets the GWFC.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker
                [quote author=Haldersham link=1163202755/0#1 date=1163218575]I dont see the Great West Expansion as not being a good options and if we have two choices at once, namely the Gateway or staying put in the Great West, then I really don't know which is the best choice. It all depends on who the Great West can get to switch. If its Sacremento State and Portland State for instance switching to the Great West, does that open up the Big Sky to NDSU and SDSU? The future for conference affliation looks bright no matter how we cut the pie.
                At one time I would have been all up in arms and excited if that were the case.  Now I say the BSC can go F--K themselves.  I want nothing to do with that conference.  What a bunch of candy asses.   ;D ;D[/quote]

I too am not so wild about BSC either, but it would be very ironic that SAC ST and Portland St who supposely raised objections to NDSU and SDSU admission to the BSC based on all that travel are now looking at a conference that would involve the same amount of travel to the Dakotas. Does not make sense to me but I think anyway it works out SDSU will be okay

Comment

[quote author=bisonbacker link=1163202755/0#2 date=1163256934][quote author=Haldersham link=1163202755/0#1 date=1163218575]I dont see the Great West Expansion as not being a good options and if we have two choices at once, namely the Gateway or staying put in the Great West, then I really don't know which is the best choice. It all depends on who the Great West can get to switch. If its Sacremento State and Portland State for instance switching to the Great West, does that open up the Big Sky to NDSU and SDSU? The future for conference affliation looks bright no matter how we cut the pie.
                  At one time I would have been all up in arms and excited if that were the case.  Now I say the BSC can go F--K themselves.  I want nothing to do with that conference.  What a bunch of candy asses.   ;D ;D[/quote]

I too am not so wild about BSC either, but it would be very ironic that SAC ST and Portland St who supposely raised objections to NDSU and SDSU admission to the BSC based on all that travel are now looking at a conference that would involve the same amount of travel to the Dakotas. Does not make sense to me but I think anyway it works out SDSU will be okay[/quote]

Why would Sac ST and Port St leave an all-sport conference for a football only conference?? What other chips would be falling for this to happen?

If it is true that Sac ST and Port ST are considering this, maybe there was something/someone else blocking our entry to the Big Sky.  

I say let the chips fall where they may, but,
                  I am Mid-Con/Gateway all the way!
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Seems to me the football conference situation is a good-really good situation. GWFC is good, a larger GWFC would be a bit better, but the Gateway is really good because of slightly better scheduling, travel and automatic qualifier reasons.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I dont see the Great West Expansion as not being a good options and if we have two choices at once, namely the Gateway or staying put in the Great West, then I really don't know which is the best choice. It all depends on who the Great West can get to switch.
                      I would say that the Gateway wins out in almost any situation involving additions to the GWFC. A variety of reasons, but time zones, affiliation with MVC, playoff eligible already.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                        Seems to me the football conference situation is a good-really good situation.  GWFC is good, a larger GWFC would be a bit better, but the Gateway is really good because of slightly better scheduling, travel and automatic qualifier reasons.
                        Exactly, I don't think talk about expanding the GWFC hurts our chances at the Gateway one bit. In fact, I feel quite the opposite. Growing the GWFC can always be part of our legacy if not part of our future. We helped make the NCC what it was, now we have contributed to the strength of the GWFC. Positives all the way for us.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Maybe this will force the Gateway to make a decision sooner. The sooner the better for both XSDU schools.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Potential members--
                            1. UND
                            2. USD
                            3. Western Washington and Central Washington (both big enough to be 1-AA, GW could actually save some travel money over imploding NCC)
                            5. San Diego (start giving some schollies--put Augie in the Pioneer)
                            6. Dixie State (could be natural competitor to SUU, they're presently in a DII non-football conference that's mostly in Hawaii (that can't be cheap). Transitional DII program to 1-AA would be a long shot.
                            7. Utah Valley (fast growing, why not add football?)

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
                              [quote author=Haldersham link=1163202755/0#7 date=1163268894][quote author=bisonbacker link=1163202755/0#2 date=1163256934][quote author=Haldersham link=1163202755/0#1 date=1163218575]I dont see the Great West Expansion as not being a good options and if we have two choices at once, namely the Gateway or staying put in the Great West, then I really don't know which is the best choice. It all depends on who the Great West can get to switch. If its Sacremento State and Portland State for instance switching to the Great West, does that open up the Big Sky to NDSU and SDSU? The future for conference affliation looks bright no matter how we cut the pie.

I too am not so wild about BSC either, but it would be very ironic that SAC ST and Portland St who supposely raised objections to NDSU and SDSU admission to the BSC based on all that travel are now looking at a conference that would involve the same amount of travel to the Dakotas. Does not make sense to me but I think anyway it works out SDSU will be okay[/quote]

Why would Sac ST and Port St leave an all-sport conference for a football only conference?? What other chips would be falling for this to happen?

If it is true that Sac ST and Port ST are considering this, maybe there was something/someone else blocking our entry to the Big Sky.  

I say let the chips fall where they may, but,
                              I am Mid-Con/Gateway all the way![/quote]

Good Question EQguy, why would they leave? I would wonder about that too, the only reason Sac St was brought is because they are mentioned in that article that started this thread. I know Cal State-Northridge was asked to leave the BSC after the football program got in big trouble with the NCAA and also Northridge had not made good on the commitments for facilities that they made when joining the conference. I know some one in the know told me about four or five years ago, that Portland State and Sac State were on thin ice with the BSC. So its hard to figure out unless you are in the meeting room with the presidents or are the conference commisioner. I say again, this speculation is a win win for SDSU and no visiable harm.
                              I trust the adminstration will make the best choice for SDSU.

Comment

Working...
                              X