Next Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Season

What do you guys think of the team for next season? Most of the positions we seem to be set. We lose some good players (Watson, some recievers, Kardoes), but we have a lot coming back. I think my main concern is qb next year. Any guesses who will take that spot? Crawford, Berry, Burckhardt? A juco transfer maybe?

Re: Next Season

Stig has never been too big on Juco kids but anything is possible. I think there is going to be a 4 way stiff competition for QB between Burkhardt, Berry, Crawford and Jeske. The spring game could be pretty interesting and fun to watch this year.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Here is where we are sitting at players per class.  The players listed are from gojacks.com football roster, hopefully that is complete, although I noticed Kyle Sheehan was not listed on it.  According to that roster list, we will lose 12 seniors from this year's team, with most of them being pretty solid contributors.  

Seniors
      1. WR Dusty Snyders
      2. QB Andy Kardoes
      3. DB Scott Breyfogle
      4. RB Anthony Watson
      5. DB Jeff Hegge
      6. TE Dan Dykhouse
      7. LB Marty Kranz
      8. DL Willie Jones
      9. OL Mark Oelkers
      10. WR Micah Johnson
      11. P Neal Bainbridge
      12. K/P Andy Pick

Juniors
      1. WR Paul Aanonson
      2. DB Brock Gentile
      3. QB Reed Burckhardt
      4. LB Andrew Hoogeveen
      5. RB Trevor Hohn
      6. RB Cory Koenig
      7. DB Tyler Koch
      8. K Parker Douglass
      9. DL Marcus Suhn
      10. LB Justin Kubesh
      11. LB Michael Veskrna
      12. DL Jason Bonwell
      13. DL Mitch Pontrelli
      14. OL Mitch Erickson
      15. OL Dusty LeBrun
      16. OL Luke Witte
      17. OL Preston Crumly
      18. WR Chris Doblar
      19. TE Chris Wagner

Sophomores
      1. WR JaRon Harris
      2. QB Ryan Berry
      3. DB Brock Campbell
      4. DB Justin Horn
      5. DB Britton Gouch
      6. DB Adam Fritz
      7. DB Nash Simet
      8. TE Matt Anderson
      9. DL Ruey Dei
      10. OL Nick Flesner
      11. OL Kevin Robling
      12. OL Scott Gillen
      13. TE Luke Greving
      14. DL Jason Nobiling
      15. DL Eric Schroeder

Red-Shirt Freshman
      1. DB Jimmy Rogers
      2. QB Ryan Crawford
      3. WR Glen Fox
      4. RB Adam Monke
      5. RB Jordan Paula
      6. LB Isaiah Jackson
      7. DL Brad Herman
      8. LB Chris Johnson
      9. LB Matt Grimlie
      10. OL Casey Knips
      11. OL Evan Skiles
      12. OL Jacob Ludemann
      13. OL Nate Koskovich
      14. OL Casey Bender
      15. WR Mike Steffen
      16. DL Jacob Pfeiffer
      17. DL Steven Bazata
      18. DB Joseph Blackman

Freshman
      1. QB Corey Jeske
      2. DB Conrad Kjerstad
      3. DB Devin Pruett (Played in 2006)
      4. DB Johdan Miranda
      5. WR Matt Hyland
      6. RB Tyler Duffy
      7. RB Kyle Minett
      8. LB Derek Domino
      9. RB Stefan Geissler
      10. K Dean Priddy
      11. TE RUss Schultz
      12. LB Austin Frain
      13. LB Danny Batten (Played in 2006)
      14. OL Ryan McKnight
      15. OL Jonathan Stephens
      16. OL Ben Aaseth
      17. OL Cristopher Miller
      18. WR Justin Mitchell
      19. TE Colin Cochart
      20. TE Alex Beyer
      21. DL Antonio Thompson
      22. DL Brian Fischer
      23. DL Jared Crumly
      24. DL Ross Basham

Losing Kardoes will probably be the toughest to replace as we don't really have another QB with much playing experience.  Berry looked good at times last season and some people have said that Crawford has some potential.  Burkhardt will be a senior next year, and I would think he'd have to be far and away the best QB to be the starter over a player who can gain experience and be ready to lead us into the playoffs in 2008.

Losing Watson will hurt as well but with Koenig, Hohn, Monke, Minnett, and Paula I think we should be alright at that position

We lose a couple good recievers in Micah Johnson and Dusty Snyders, Micah especially.  Jaron Harris will need to continue to improve, and I'm excited to see what he can do in his last two years. Hopefully Steffen can step up next year as well.  Wagner was being used alot later in the year and could be a special player for us next year.  Don't see too many 6'7" tight ends like him.  I'm guessing we'll be signing a few recievers with our next recruiting class.

Hegge, Kranz, and Breyfogle were a big part of the defense but losing just 3 of our 11 starters I think we should be in great shape on defense next year.  I think we have some really good players in our red-shirt class with Domino, Kjerstad, Thompson and Basham being a few that come to mind from when Stig talked about them on signing day.

Not sure what we have to replace Bainbridge, who had a really good career here.

I'm not completely sure of these numbers, so if someone has better info please correct me, but I think we were around 51 scholarships this season and are planning to have the allowed 63 next year to give us the needed 57 average for the Iowa State game in 2008.  So adding the 12 new scholarships to the 12 players who are leaving we should have another pretty big recruiting class for signing day this year.   Hopefully we can get another couple players like Danny Batten who can step in and compete right away.

I think the program is setting itself up pretty well for a playoff run in 2008 providing some of the young players step up.  This year was a bit of a surprise in how well we ended up being.  Hopefully we can carry the momentum into next season and start out strong at Western Illinois!

Comment

Wow, great post buddy.

Comment

Excellent work 02.

Here is what I understand about the true Frosh,

Sheehan will get a redshirt this year because he didn't play after the 3rd or 4th game.
          Beyer, Mitchell and Minette will contribute.
          Jeske is good.

The DLine is in good shape for a few years to come. Willie Jones is the only senior this year and Pontrelli and Bonwell are the only seniors next year. Barring any more bad injuries there should finally be some depth at the DLine!
          I don' t know exactly which ones were referenced but I have heard some of the Frosh defenders will be stepping in and challenging for playing time next year.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
            Excellent work 02.

Here is what I understand about the true Frosh,

Sheehan will get a redshirt this year because he didn't play after the 3rd or 4th game.  
            Beyer, Mitchell and Minette will contribute.
            Jeske is good.

The DLine is in good shape for a few years to come.  Willie Jones is the only senior this year and Pontrelli and Bonwell are the only seniors next year.  Barring any more bad injuries there should finally be some depth at the DLine!
            I don' t know exactly which ones were referenced but I have heard some of the Frosh defenders will be stepping in and challenging for playing time next year.
            I've heard the same about Jeske from some of the current players. It will be interesting to see who and when Stig decides.

With 63 scholarships depth will be the norm very soon. DLine looks solid to say the least.

Breyfogle and Hegge will be hard to replace but Gentile and Rogers will anchor a solid secondary with plenty of guys ready to fill their void.

Kranz can't really be replaced but I love Hoogeveen and Kubesh.

Harris, Dobler and Wagner will be experienced receivers for whoever is throwing the ball.

My biggest concern is depth at RB. Koenig is a stud and if healthy will be the workhorse. I don't know who will be the compliment to his hard running. Hohn has the most experience. I guess we will see.

Next step is the announcement of signings in February. Not sure of the exact date but Stig said they would be working hard starting today.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Did I miss something, was he injured? Is that why he didn't play as the season went on? That's the only way he gets a redshirt, unless the rules have changed.
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                [quote author=EQguy link=1163966618/0#4 date=1163988883]Sheehan will get a redshirt this year because he didn't play after the 3rd or 4th game.  
                Did I miss something, was he injured? Is that why he didn't play as the season went on? That's the only way he gets a redshirt, unless the rules have changed.[/quote]

From what I have been able to find out, its a combination of being injured and not knowing the defensive schemes nor has he been able to catch on as quickly as say a  Danny Batten. Sheehan needs this year to learn and I think the only reason he appeared in that one game was because Jason Bonall was out with  a slight injury. Bonall is okay and Sheehan is not needed as much in the subsequent games. How he does get the redshirt is not clear to me either, but apparently it will happen. I had thought he lost a year of eligibilty for playing in that one game.

I suspect a great deal of time will be spent in spring camp in learning how to read and react to a reverse plays. Also special teams on defense will be working on defending punt and kickoff returns. These were the two big plays that caused us to lose the game IMO. Had we not given up these big plays, the game could have likely went the other way. Travis White should have never ran that ball into the endzone. White is not that good IMO but I suppose with your last game probably gives some people extra aedrenal power to help one do these things. I dont think the coaching staff are happy about these plays either.

I am excited about next year even with Montana not coming to Brookings. Hopefully we can pick up someone other than William Penn to fill the open dates.

Comment

My biggest concern is depth at RB.  Koenig is a stud and if healthy will be the workhorse.  I don't know who will be the compliment to his hard running.  Hohn has the most experience.  I guess we will see.
                  From what I have heard Minette is the real deal.  I saw both Minette and Geissler at the Sr. camp two summers ago and they were both as quick and strong as I have seen a running back at SDSU (unfortunately I was a long way away and never saw Ranek play).  I had heard that Geissler could end up at LB, but I don't know if the switch was made or not.

As far as Sheehan's redshirt:  I don't know exactly what the rules are but I was told from a pretty good source that he would remain a redshirt frosh.  I remember back during our last year in D-II, Andy Kardoes played in the game against UNO down there (fourth game of the year) and then got hurt and didn't play the rest of the year.  He was able to get a medical redshirt for it, and that is why he has 1 year left to play at the D-II level.  I would assume that the same would go for Kyle since he didn't take a red-shirt year.
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

I too started the season thinking that we were at 51 scholarships, but I recall later hearing Coach Stig on the Radio saying that we were at 54 this year. Either way we will be at 63 for next season.

Go State!

Comment

As far as Sheehan's redshirt:  I don't know exactly what the rules are but I was told from a pretty good source that he would remain a redshirt frosh.  I remember back during our last year in D-II, Andy Kardoes played in the game against UNO down there (fourth game of the year) and then got hurt and didn't play the rest of the year.  He was able to get a medical redshirt for it, and that is why he has 1 year left to play at the D-II level.  I would assume that the same would go for Kyle since he didn't take a red-shirt year.
                      Not trying to create an argument, just looking for some clarification. Was Sheehan injured and that's why he didn't play? There's a big difference between playing in a couple games, and then not playing because of depth chart issues versus not playing because of injury. The NCAA is pretty stringent on granting medical redshirts, especially in 1AA and D1. I hope that Kyle gets this year back and doesn't lose a whole season just over a few plays in a few games. I can speak from experience, losing a true frosh year without playing more than a couple plays really sucks the big one.

Comment

He was held out because of injury. This came to me straight from his coach.

The big difference is that if Kyle had already sat out a redshirt year he wouldn't get that time. Since he didn't have a redshirt year he can still complete his eligibility in 5 years. Now I am far from up to speed on the compliance issues. I am just regurgitating the information I was given and mixing it with 1 experience I was involved in.
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Thanks EQguy, that's what I was curious about. Should be able to get the medical if the coaches know of what they speak.

Comment

Working...
                          X