Stig at Sioux Empire Staters Lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stig at Sioux Empire Staters Lunch

Coach Stig was the featured speaker at the Sioux Empire Staters luncheon this past Tuesday. His thoughts on NDSU game was that SDSU was the better team for almost all of the game, but you can't take out the big plays. Got understandably emotional when talking of the 12 seniors that are leaving. Lose 9 starters to graduation, QB will be interesting position because all those returning are not the same type of player as Andy.

Got a big smile when asked about being at 63 schollies next year and said that some of those will be used for current players. It should take 2-3 years to see the full impact of being at the limit.

Someone bought out of their contract, but I couldn't hear who or what year he was taking about. He seemed fine with it because it was due to the other team being able to get a big pay day and it is just a matter of time until SDSU does that. It is an accepted part of 1AA football.

Assistant coaches were too busy recruiting to come and speak. As for facilities impact on recruiting, he said the current situation hurts, but only to a point. Compared it to taking a teenager car shopping; they look at style while the parents look at substance/quality.

Gateway was brought up and said that all the information has been sent and expects to hear in January if they get an invite. He thought it was a wonderful situation to be in, currently in the top-rated 1AA conference with another of the best knocking on your door. My impression, he knows they will go if the invite comes, but Stig did not say anything directly like that.

If anyone in the Sioux Falls area does not get the emails about the luncheons, send me an email and I will forward the info so you can get on the list.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Re: Stig at Sioux Empire Staters Lunch

I was at the luncheon as well on Tuesday. The team he mentioned that bought out their trip to Brookings was Montana. They scheduled a 2 for 1 and bought out their trip to CAS. There were 2 young men that attended and ate with Coach before he spoke. Stig referred to them as former players, but didn't introduce them by name. I shook Stig's hand before I left and was able to read the name tags and one of the former players was Hank McCall. I wasn't able to read the other guys nametag, but he was definitely a lineman. Possible DJ Fischer? I'm not sure what McCall is up to these days, but he was dressed to the nines. He was in a sharp looking suit. Anyone know where he's working?

Comment

Oh yeah, Stig also mentioned that Kardoes likely played with a broken wrist. He was to get it checked out that afternoon. Not that we needed any more reasons to respect the heart in that kid...

Comment

Can anyone who has went through the football program explain how and what the exit interviews are?

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
          Can anyone who has went through the football program explain how and what the exit interviews are?
          Depends what interviews you're talking about. If you mean the end of the year one-on-one meetings with the coaches, it's basically just a rehash of the season, etc. You meet with your position coach to discuss the past season, what you need to work on, where you see yourself progressing as a player, all that good stuff. Then you meet with the head coach to discuss the positional coach, the past season, what you need to work on, where you see yourself progressing as a player, all that good stuff.

If you mean the one-on-one meetings with the coaches for the outgoing seniors, it's more like a recap of your career and questions about suggestions and things like that.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Thanks MJA that's the info I was interested in hearing.

Comment

Oh yeah, and you discuss your grades. It was definitely not a sidenote in the meetings. If you were having problems with your grades, you were made aware how important the coaches took the grades. In my case, I had a relatively poor first semester, although not so poor in the grand scheme of things. Coach Stig (who was my position coach at the time) told me he knew what kind of grades I should be getting and told me even if I was still way above the eligibility level (which I was), if I didn't get to the point where he felt I should be at, I wouldn't be playing. That, more than my dad's not-so-pleasant speech over the holidays, was the kickstart I needed to start taking the books seriously.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
              X