All Conference Team.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Conference Team.

Congrats to our first and second team all conference players. You guys worked hard for these positions. Congrats J-Money and Wags for your honors.
    Complete list herehttp://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/...f/all-conf.pdf
    2006 All-Great West Football Conference Teams
    First Team
    Offense
    Pos. Player Institution Ht. Wt. Yr. Hometown
    TE Chris Wagner South Dakota State 6-7 235 Jr. Brookings, S.D.
    OL Mitch Erickson South Dakota State 6-6 290 Jr. Hutchinson, Minn.
    RB Anthony Watson South Dakota State 5-10 221 Sr. Worthington, Minn.
    K Parker Douglass South Dakota State 5-8 170 Jr. Columbus, Neb.
    Second Team
    Offense
    WR JaRon Harris South Dakota State 6-1 195 So. Sioux Falls, S.D.
    WR Micah Johnson South Dakota State 6-2 180 Sr. Prescott, Ariz.
    OL Preston Crumly South Dakota State 6-5 290 Jr. Hartington, Neb.
    OL Nick Flesner South Dakota State 6-3 280 So. Pierce, Neb.
    QB Andy Kardoes South Dakota State 6-3 210 Sr. Algona, Neb.
    Defense
    DL Jason Bonwell South Dakota State 6-0 250 Jr. Glendora, Calif.
    DL Mitch Pontrelli South Dakota State 6-2 270 Jr. St. Paul, Minn.
    OLB Justin Kubesh South Dakota State 6-1 230 Jr. Olivia, Minn.

Re: All Conference Team.

http://www.keloland.com/sports/newsd...cfm?Id=0,52779
    Fifteen South Dakota State University football players, including four first-team selections, have been named to the all-Great West Football Conference Team.

Highlighting the first-team selections was kicker Parker Douglass, who repeated as Great West Special Teams Player of the Year. A junior from Columbus, Neb., Douglass made 15-of-21 field goal attempts and connected on all 22 extra-point attempts, finishing third in the league with 67 points. During the season, Douglass set Jackrabbit career records for field goals (46) and points by a kicker (231).

Also honored by the Great West were North Dakota State quarterback Steve Walker as Offensive Player of the Year, Cal Poly linebacker Kyle Shotwell as Defensive Player of the Year, UC Davis wide receiver as Rookie of the Year and North Dakota State mentor Craig Bohl as Coach of the Year.

Joining Douglass on the first-team offense from SDSU were junior lineman Mitch Erickson, senior running back Anthony Watson and junior tight end Chris Wagner.

Erickson, a native of Hutchinson, Minn., was a repeat selection to the first team after splitting time at both guard and tackle, helping SDSU average 342 yards of offense per game.

Watson made the all-Great West Team for the third time. A first-team selection in 2004 and a second-team pick in 2005, Watson came on strong in the second half of the 2006 season to finish third in the league with 742 rushing yards (74.2 yards per game) and eight touchdowns.

Wagner also enjoyed a strong second half of the season as he became one of the Jackrabbits’ primary receivers. The Brookings native finished 10th in the league with 24 catches, totaling 265 yards with two touchdowns.

Eight Jackrabbits received second-team honors, highlighted by senior quarterback Andy Kardoes. The signal-caller from Algona, Iowa, ranked third in the league with 1,997 passing yards and also threw for 13 touchdowns.

Two of Kardoes' favorite receivers — Micah Johson and JaRon Harris — also were second-team honorees.

Johnson, a senior from Prescott, Ariz., caught a team-high 44 passes for 666 yards and five touchdowns, while Harris, a sophomore from Sioux Falls, added 39 receptions for 531 yards and four scores.

Up front, offensive linemen Preston Crumly and Nick Flesner received second-team accolades. Crumly, a junior from Hartington, Neb., held down one of the tackle spots for the Jackrabbits, while Flesner, a sophomore from Pierce, Neb., played at guard.

A resurgent Jackrabbit defense placed three players on the second team, led by junior linebacker Justin Kubesh. The Olivia, Minn., native ranked second in the league with 79 tackles and also ranked among the GWFC leaders with two interceptions.

The defensive line was represented by juniors Jason Bonwell and Mitch Pontrelli. Bonwell, a junior college transfer from Glendora, Calif., recorded 37 tackles, 9.5 of which were for loss, including four sacks. He also recovered two fumbles.

Pontrelli posted another solid season at nose tackle, recording 46 tackles with three sacks.

Three other Jackrabbit players received honorable mention recognition: senior punter Neal Bainbridge, freshman defensive lineman Danny Batten and sophomore defensive lineman Eric Schroeder.

Bainbridge, a Ethan native, finished third in the Great West with a punting average of 40.9 yards, landing 12 inside the opponent 20-yard line.

Batten stepped into the starting lineup as a true freshman and responded 46 tackles from his defensive end spot. The Gilbert, Ariz., native ranked ninth in the league with nine tackles for loss.

Schroeder, from Stewartville, Minn., tied for second in the Great West with 10.5 tackles for loss and ranked third in the league with 6.5 sacks.

Comment

This is truly a sign that this team has improved. It seems to me that last year we placed only somewhere near 10 players on this list and only 2 or 3 were on the first team. Congrats to the whole team and to the young men that were honored.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

What bodes well for the defense next year is that all four D-lineman were either all-conference or honorable mention all-conf. That is a foundation to build on. Considering the D-line was the biggest question mark of the defense coming in to the season, that is quite an accomplisment.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I thought the d-line looked to be one of our strengths coming into the season, but injuries during fall camp definately left that in doubt. I can't think of the last time we had a, "dare I say it", dominant d-line which was a force to be reckoned with.

Comment

Not since Jason Aune, Jeff Kohler, Zach Carter, Brad Peterson and Mark "Meat" VanMeetren filled the D-trenches for SDSU. That was the bench mark for D-line in my opinion.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Don't forget your brother Wolgamott on that list MJA

Comment

I think that it's a great sign seeing O and D linemen on that list. You've gotta have a solid base to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitsbacker
                  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :'(
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitsbacker
                    One of the best 6 year players SDSU has ever had. Hands down. Coaching in NE or something like that last time I heard.

Comment

Not to call you out or anything MJA but I thought that Adam Timmerman was a 6 year player, as was Kevin Tetzlaff. Dont know much about Walgamott though.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
                        Not to call you out or anything MJA but I thought that Adam Timmerman was a 6 year player, as was Kevin Tetzlaff.  Dont know much about Walgamott though.
                        Actually, Ranek was a 6 year player as well. He redshirted, then hardshipped (after a 100 yard game at UC Davis for Stig's first win), then played 4 years. Wolg's was a good guy and a good DE (he made my life easier by taking on blocks to free me up). Just having some fun with Bitsbacker and Catchem.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                          [quote author=EQguy link=1164759445/0#10 date=1165018954]Not to call you out or anything MJA but I thought that Adam Timmerman was a 6 year player, as was Kevin Tetzlaff. Dont know much about Walgamott though.
                          Actually, Ranek was a 6 year player as well. He redshirted, then hardshipped (after a 100 yard game at UC Davis for Stig's first win), then played 4 years. Wolg's was a good guy and a good DE (he made my life easier by taking on blocks to free me up). Just having some fun with Bitsbacker and Catchem.[/quote]

Yeah, I think Josh would sweep the "Best Six Year PLayer Award". I loved the "10th year senior" chants from the opposing crowds his last year. Speaking of which, he really seemed to dissappear in Canada this past season. I think he got hurt.

Comment

Working...
                          X