Target Recruiting Markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target Recruiting Markets

I noticed the Bison are again hitting Minnesota and Wisconsin hard. They have also emphasized Illinois. Jacks are again doing well in Iowa. I have not noticed us battling for some of the Minnesota Recruits, but assume we are there. Nebraska has also been good to us the past few years. I noticed UND is also pitching recruits in Minnesota and Wisconsin. They also seem to have targeted Colorado. USD has always done well in Iowa and they are getting visits from a few of the top players. I have not seen many kids that say they are considering USD and SDSU in interviews. Will the Jacks venture back into California and Arizona again? Will be interesting to see the mix when this years class of 20 or so is announced. I think we may end up with as many as 6 or 7 South Dakota kids this year.

Re: Target Recruiting Markets

I have heard that Texas has been a target again this year also.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Interesting over on the Bison Board a poster asked if SDSU and USD recruit North Dakota and someone chimed in we would not do well against NDSU and UND for the top notch kids. Granted those programs have fared better down south than we have up north. I think we are beginning to see signs of the border closing for some of the top recruits this year. Bison had 4 South Dakota kids on their squad this year and if they don't add anyone will be down to 2. UND had 3 and will be down to 1. I'm all for kids getting a scholarship wherever they can, but I just hope we can continue to keep the best kids in the state. Does anyone know what happened to 2006 Bison signee Chris Wellenstein from Centerville as he is not listed on their roster?

Comment

I'm pretty sure he was injured before he came to NDSU.

Not sure if he's going to practice during the spring.

Comment

Frick and Buckwalter come to mind as 2 SD kids who played very well for us the past few seasons.

At that time, they probably felt like there was no point in playing in state, as neither program was very good.

It seems like sense then, however, both USD and SDSU are improving in football.

There might be a time in the near future where it'd just be a waste for UND and NDSU coaches to visit SD high schools.

Comment

[quote author=2006gwfcchamps link=1168385483/0#4 date=1168442886]At that time, they probably felt like there was no point in playing in state, as neither program was very good.

It seems like sense then, however, both USD and SDSU are improving in football.
            quote]

Until the last couple of years, the Bison program wasn't exactly blowing the doors off the competition. I'm not saying SDSU was either but to put us in the same boat as USD is an insult. SDSU was always a solid program in the NCC. During the last 3-4 seasons in the NCC, NDSU was nothing better. USD was a solid bottom feeder prior to NDSU, SDSU and UNC leaving. Not smack. Just a point of clarity.

"You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I seem to remember USD making the DII national championship game in the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by 2006gwfcchamps
                I seem to remember USD making the DII national championship game in the 80's.
                That was 20 years ago about the time guys like Frick were learning how to sit up.  Try the last 10 years SDSU was at the DII level and we clearly had a much better program then the one at USD.  Nearly comparable to NDSU in wins and losses (nearly).  Not really comparable with regard to facilities, as it still is.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Then why did they choose to leave the state?

Did SDSU even try to keep them at home?

Comment

Facilities, it shows committment to excellence from the University. As much as people want to discredit the factoring in of facilities when it comes to recruiting it has and will continue to do so in the future. The "if that's what matters the most to a recruit", line does not seem to work, unless average is all that is expected. We have plenty of seasons to back that up.

Comment

Then why did they choose to leave the state?

Did SDSU even try to keep them at home?
                      I guess I don't understand what you don't understand. I think my post clearly stated the facilities at NDSU are/were better or different (if you prefer) than at SDSU. Not hard to follow in my mind. Frick was a Yankton kid who chose NDSU. Nothing more I can say about that.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Am I the only one having trouble following this thread? :-?
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

I guess I don't understand what you don't understand. I think my post clearly stated the facilities at NDSU are/were better or different (if you prefer) than at SDSU. Not hard to follow in my mind. Frick was a Yankton kid who chose NDSU. Nothing more I can say about that.

So Frick chose NDSU over SDSU because the facilities at NDSU are that much better? The Fargodome is much better than Caughlin, but that's about it.

I think 8 national championships had something to do with it.

Comment

The only ones that can really answer your question with any credability are the athletes themselves. Perhaps you should ask Mr. Frick as to why.

Comment

I think 8 national championships had something to do with it.
                              Were these kids even born before the last one?
                              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
                              X