2007 Outlook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Outlook

While we wait to see who will be part of the Jacks 2007 Recruiting Class I thought it would be interesting to look at the depth at the various positions and who may start that first game on August 30th at Western Illinois. Here is the returning players at Quarterback and Running Back.

Quarterbacks
    Reed Burkhardt 6'1 205 Senior
    Ryan Berry 6'2 195 Junior
    Ryan Crawford 6'2 205 Sophmore
    Cory Jeske 6'1 185 Redshirt Freshman

Several people referenced a possible transfer from Illinois which may be prudent if nobody in this group can step up and take the job. None of these guys saw much meaningful time in 2006 as Andy gutted it out all year.

Running Backs
    Cory Koenig 5'10 205 Senior
    Trevor Hohn 5'10 195 Senior
    Jordan Paula 6'3 235 Sophmore
    Adam Monke 5'10 190 Sophmore
    Tyler Duffy 5'10 190 Redshirt Freshman
    Kyle Minet 5'11 210 Redshirt Freshman

Clearly Koenig and Hohn will most likely get most of the hand offs however, I'm curious how some of the other players have performed in practice. With Paula's size and speed will he remain at running back or be more suited for a reciever or defensive back? Monke and Minet come in from small towns in Nebraska and Minnesota respectively with great numbers and credentials. Will they get an opportunity to contribute on the field this year? Koenig and Hohn are suspect to injury and one of these other guys may be asked to fill in. Not sure who the Jacks are looking at for running backs either Junior College or Freshman. We seem to be in pretty good shape here especially if Koenig can stay healthy.

Re: 2007 Outlook

IMHO..... I think Berry and Burkhart will both be back-ups. It will be fun in Spring practice to see the competion between Crawford and Jeske. I think the upside to both of these young men is tremendous. The downside is experience, neither has any. Spring and fall camp at the QB position will be interesting

Cory will be the feature back, he is a tough SOB, he has played in alot of pain and still prformed well. Trevor may be a good 3rd down type back, good hands and fast. I think the diamond in the rough is Kyle Minet, he may be the real deal...very very tough and don't give up. Will be fun seeing what he can do

Go Jacks !!!!!!!
    http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Dead on Football fan. I am certainly going to make sure I make my way over to see some spring practices this year. I have heard a lot of good things about the red shirts this last season. It will be interesting to see who breaks through and makes an impact next year.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Someone earlier also mentioned a QB from University of Illinois transferring. Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Yes, what's up with the transfer QB, and while we're at it, can somebody fill me in on Jeske? I don't know much about him and I've heard from some players I've talked to that he's really good.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
            Yes, what's up with the transfer QB, and while we're at it, can somebody fill me in on Jeske? I don't know much about him and I've heard from some players I've talked to that he's really good.
            I've heard the same thing from several players. I haven't heard it from the coaches but why would they tell me? I can't wait to see who steps to the forefront. Spring practice should be fun to watch this year. I hope I can make it to the spring game.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have also heard that Kyle Minet looked good last year, despite getting a beating by the defense with the scout offense. Jeske also turned some heads from what I hear. Throws a decent ball and is a pretty shfty runner. He seems pretty small, but I guess he isn't much smaller than the rest of the QB core.

I believe the OL only loses one starter.

DL looks to be a dominant force

LB's will be better with a year of experience and will be athletic

I believe WR and the DB's may have some question marks.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo
                Someone earlier also mentioned a QB from University of Illinois transferring.  Can anyone confirm this?  
                I have no knowledge of a QB from Ill. transferring, but here are the QBs from last years Ill. roster (I didn't include Seniors because I assume they won't have any eligibility left):

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sport...s_juice00.html
                #7  Juice Williams 6'2" 220 - Frosh - Chicago, Ill.

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sport...e_eddie00.html
                #10  Eddie McGee 6'4" 189 - Frosh - Washington,  D.C.

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sport...a_billy00.html
                #12 Billy Garza - 6'1" 225 - Soph - Brownville, TX

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sport...en_cody00.html
                #14  Cody Mullen - 6'0" 215 - Soph - Matton, Ill.

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sport...ni_mark00.html
                #16  Mark Venegoni - 6'1" 210 - Soph - Gurnee, Ill.

Since Juice Williams was starting I think we can eliminate him and that might help explain why say maybe a Soph. would look to another school for a chance to play.

Again no insider info, just thought I would post who Ill. has at the QB spot.

Go State!  

Comment

Will there be any staff changes going into next year?

Comment

Working...
                  X