Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Rule Changes....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

After the timing rules from last season were soundly criticized, abused, and ridiculed, the powers-that-be decided to go back to the drawing board by scraping the changes na dadding some tweaks to make the game move faster.......

To make up for the time being added back, the committee proposed the following changes:

-- Using a 15-second play clock immediately after timeouts instead of a 25-second clock;

-- Reducing timeouts from 65 seconds to 30 seconds;

-- Kicking off from the 30-yard line instead of the 35 to cut down on touchbacks;

-- Limiting the time officials have to review a replay to two minutes.
    It seems kind of odd that the college game is emulating the pro game by moving the kickoff back five yards. I hope that's about the only change they decide to take from the pros.......

Re: Possible Rule Changes....

And letting the runner get up and run, if not touched by the defensive player. I always thought that one should be changed also in college.
    I get sick of seeing college backs out by themselves, especially behind the line of scrimmage, slip without being touched by a defender, and be whistled down. In my opinion it just looks bad.

It's funny how you'll see a Rookie in the NFL fall down without being touched and they just forget they can get up and run.
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Or they fall down, get to their feet with out being touch and spike the ball after a good play. The other team picks it up and runs the other way with it. Plexico Burress did it a few years back in his rookie season and it just happened early last season but I can't remember who.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
        Or they fall down, get to their feet with out being touch and spike the ball after a good play. The other team picks it up and runs the other way with it. Plexico Burress did it a few years back in his rookie season and it just happened early last season but I can't remember who.
        It was Vincent Jackson (formerly of the University of Northern Colorado). But this is his third year in the NFL, and they called the spike a forward pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit3467
          [quote author=BTownJack link=1171565662/0#2 date=1171646314]Or they fall down, get to their feet with out being touch and spike the ball after a good play.  The other team picks it up and runs the other way with it.  Plexico Burress did it a few years back in his rookie season and it just happened early last season but I can't remember who.  
          It was Vincent Jackson (formerly of the University of Northern Colorado).  But this is his third year in the NFL, and they called the spike a forward pass.[/quote]

Ah yes, you are right...they did bail him out although he was just lucky he spiked it in the right direction. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80
            And letting the runner get up and run, if not touched by the defensive player.  I always thought that one should be changed also in college.
            I get sick of seeing college backs out by themselves, especially behind the line of scrimmage, slip without being touched by a defender, and be whistled down.  In my opinion it just looks bad.

It's funny how you'll see a Rookie in the NFL fall down without being touched and they just forget they can get up and run.

That's one of my favorite rules of the college game. That, and having to keep one foot inbounds on a reception.

The NFL rules are open to too much "interpretation". I enjoy the college game with more absolute rules.

Comment

Working...
            X