SDSU/NDSU to Gateway???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU/NDSU to Gateway???

Here's a little more information about possibility of SDSU and NDSU to the Gateway Conference if Western Kentucky were to leave.

http://valleytalk.net/showthread.php?t=2196

Some for, Some against, but there is talk at least.

I wouldn't mind the Jacks in the Gateway, but I would also like them to stay and play in the toughest I-AA division the past two years....

Re: SDSU/NDSU to Gateway???

I noticed this over in Bisonville:

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1161567295

It is a list Division 1-A schools which are not meeting the average attendance requirements of NCAA Division 1-A football.  If any or all should have to leave Division 1-A and move to 1-AA it could really complicate the whole Great West and Gateway membership pictures.  There are at three schools on the list that would fit well into the Great West FB Conference geography.  There are probably more than that that would fit into the Gateway FB Conference geography.  Click on the link and enjoy the discussion.

Comment

This also from the Bison Board about SDSU and NDSU moving to the Gateway:

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1153937292

Go State!

Comment

I was told last Saturday that WKU is going 1A in the Sun Belt and that SDSU and NDSU will be in the Gateway. I have not seen an announcement regarding WKU, though.

Comment

Personally, I would rather us stay in the Great West, nothing about the Gateway but we're in the best football conference in America and going to an average conference.   Even the players I have talked to asked why.  Why go from a toughie schedule to an easier schedule.  I think it's just to get the possibility of more home games.  I would much rather add a school or two to the conference than anything else. And Not Necessarily UND or USD.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
            Even the players I have talked to asked why.

Auto-bid!! Gateway has one, GWFC does not.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
              Personally, I would rather us stay in the Great West, nothing about the Gateway but we're in the best football conference in America and going to an average conference.   Even the players I have talked to asked why.  Why go from a toughie schedule to an easier schedule.  I think it's just to get the possibility of more home games.  I would much rather add a school or two to the conference than anything else.  And Not Necessarily UND or USD.
              The Great West is horrible for both our schools when it comes to scheduling, it's tough to get home games and we are forced to travel all around the country. Also the Gateway is a very good conference(don't let the ratings fool you it's just as good as the Great West) and bring in our two schools and it would be the best. UNI, Youngstown St, Southern Illinois, Illinois St all have great football programs and they are alot closer then California and Utah. On top of all that the Gateway has an autobid(Great West will probably never get one) and the Gateway is also viewed as a power conference that gets 3 teams in the playoffs almost every year.

The Great West is nice and I like the Cali schools but it was just a short term fix for a long term problem. The Gateway is the perfect conference for NDSU and SDSU. It improves travel, provides great regional competition, and gives us the best shot at the playoffs. And I suppose being in a conference with a bunch of MVC schools wouldn't be that bad either, that Gateway Conference could provide a gateway for NDSU and SDSU into the MVC.

Comment

The Gateway is not an average football conference....they are usually a top conference, including this year at #3 right now....They have 3 teams in the top 10 at the moment.

Autobid, less scheduling hassle for the coaches/administration, better geographic fit, and a possible foot in the door to the MVC are all reasons to make the move to the Gateway.

If the Jacks get an invite they have to take it. I love the Great West, but it has some down falls right now(not enough members, bad locations, no autobid, etc)

Comment

It gives us 4 home conference games every year. Considering 2 of the 3 seasons we have been d-1 we have only had 4 home games this would be huge. I think it would also be good to play teams like Indiana St and Missouri St to balance our schedule out. I would rather play lower ranked 1-AA teams vs. playing LaCrosse and William Penn. We can still play the UC Davis, Poly and SU in non-conference games periodically.
                  Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
                    I was told last Saturday that WKU is going 1A in the Sun Belt and that SDSU and NDSU will be in the Gateway. I have not seen an announcement regarding WKU, though.
                    I believe WKU has pitched the idea to their board of regents or whatever they call it and the vote for approval/disapproval is November 2. I hope they move up and we, along with NDSU, join the Gateway. It really is the perfect fit for us. I like the Great West and the quality of it, but, there's too many good things for us awaiting in the Gateway. USD and UND can step into the holes left by XDSU in the Great West to keep that conference going.

Comment

If the GWFC could add one to three teams and obtain an autobid, then we would be all right to stay there. The Gateway, however, provides the autobid and eight games. In addition, it will help build our relationship with several MoValley schools.....

Comment

Gateway move seems pretty natural for us and should save us some travel money, I believe it costs us about 70-80k to go to the coast per game. The savings could be an extra coaches wages.......
                        “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

There is no doubt sdsu and ndsu would jump to the gateway right away if invited. The gateway is a good conference with just as many good teams as the great west. The reason the great west is rated so high is because with only 5 teams and only 1 bad team it is pretty easy to have an average rating like we do.

Comment

Let's make this happen.

Comment

In all reality, if Cal Poly or UC Davis had an opportunity to jump to a conference like the Gateway, they'd do it in a heartbeat. All of the Great West members would. Personally, I would love the addition to the Gateway. I would be able to make at least 2-3 games a year with minimal drive-time.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                              X