Future Non Conference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Non Conference Games

I hope we continue to schedule Cal Poly and UCD as much as possible in the future. They are both great programs and we have all helped each other out the past few years. We went out to San Luis Obispo last year and we had a great time, there fans were great and the new addition to the stadium is impressive. I just hope that relationship continues

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!
    http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Re: Future Non Conference Games

I agree the California schools would be great opponents. Just looking at the last STATE magazine, a good group of alums showed up and enjoyed the pregame tailgating. I think SDSU needs to do these things in order to build a following out of SD and the surrounding area. I would think until the Great West gets re-organized the Cal schools will have plenty of open dates.

Comment

I know many will disagree, but we should play USD as soon as we can schedule them. Here are the reasons: 1 - Pride - let's prove we are the best team in the state by beating them on the field, 2 - Attendance - this would likely be the most attended game of the year, let's show we've outgrown our current facilities! 3 - Exposure - This would be the biggest sporting event in South Dakota every year (except for the opening of pheasant season, maybe). I assume this game would get more media coverage than any other game, exposing SDSU to more potential students, athletes, parents around the state. Who knows, maybe we'd even get a mention nationally if we played them on rivalry weekend, but that's probably dreaming!!

I guess the biggest reason I'd like to seem them play USD is that when I was in school, the game I looked forward to the most was the USD game. Whether it be football, basketball, whatever, I wanted to beat USD more than any other team. Hobo Days are great for the atmosphere and other activities, but as far as the actual game itself, playing USD was always my favorite. Does anyone remember when we played them twice a year (late '80's, early '90's), once as a non-conference game and once as a conference game. The president of the losing team's student body had to take his pants off at the fifty yard line after the nonconference game. Not a pretty sight, but good times were had by all!!

Comment

The earliest we could possibly consider scheduling them is 2009 when they become a D1 counter.
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Your right. Many will disagree. Im from your era when the USD game was the one we looked forward to but times change. Our games with NDSU will draw as big a crowd. They are now our conference rival and as we enter the Gateway I am much more excited about attending those games then a meaningless non conference game against USD. An occasional non conference game against them is fine. But Im looking forward to the variety of national competition that we can look forward to.

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing that...

... but playing USD would hurt our playoff chances (starting in 2008). UC-Davis, Cal Poly, or the McNeese's of the world would help those chances. Plus, we get 15,000+ SDSU fans already (for example last year's UC-Davis game. There's really no room for more people than that at Coughlin. As for exposure, we're near a KELO TV deal for inside the state, and the Gateway already has a TV deal with Fox Sports that will put us on TV regionally several times a year.

I don't miss the ugly parts of the USD rivalry. I really enjoy the NDSU rivalry because it seems to be based on mutual respect. That doesn't mean we can't get there with USD, I think we probably can. But I'm afraid the game won't happen for a few years, if at all. We've only got three out-of-conference dates to fill, and one will be a BCS revenue game. That leaves two. You're going to have to make the most of those as far as playoff arguments go.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

There is no way SDSU will risk a potential playoff bid to play the U as long as they don't count.  
              At this point in time, there are WAY to many advantages to USD playing this game and not near enough for SDSU.  SDSU will be just fine without these games for at least the next 3 years and the only reason these games will be played is NOT because SDSU needs them to be played, but because of public outcry.

SDSU decides when this game is played, let's not forget that.

And for U fans reading this thinking that by "advantages" I mean strength of your athletic teams/program...step away from the bong.

Go Jacks!!
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

It is going to be hard to play Cal Poly, UC Davis, and USD b/c we only have 3 non-confernence games b/c 8 games are conference games out of 11 games. So out of the 3 non-conference games we want 2 of those games to be home games and the other one to be a D1 game like Iowa St so we can get paid. So unless those teams want to come to SDSU every year it is going to be hard to schedule them for FB b/c they also want us to go to their house. So those non-conference games will not be big time games b/c the good teams will not want to come to SDSU and potentially lose. And I do not feel we should go to USD and help them out with their home schedule when we had to bust our ass and schedule NAIA and DIII teams. Let them suffer.

Comment

I'll take the California teams over USD any day. And from the sounds of it Fred will too. I don't seeing USD on the schedule for a while, UNLESS some senator or representative decides they have to b!tch about us not playing them. Not that I mind USD, just would rather see better competition.

Comment

I agree that we shouldn't play them until it counts, although it would be fun to give them a few lumps as they struggle during their transition period. And I'm sure our players that are from South Dakota would love the chance to play against their high school buddies/rivals who play at the U. I hope each of our future recruiting classes gets at least one chance at them.

Comment

With the way the things are happening in conference alignments it appears that all games between SDSU and USD will be non-conference games.  Can anyone name non-conference football rivalries that are played on an annual basis?  I think that the old rivalry will be renewed, both because there will be a lot of people who want to see the game and financially because it will be a sellout game with little travel expense.  But I doubt that it will occur annually in football.

Comment

Originally posted by senator07
                        It is going to be hard to play Cal Poly, UC Davis, and USD b/c we only have 3 non-confernence games b/c 8 games are conference games out of 11 games.  So out of the 3 non-conference games we want 2 of those games to be home games and the other one to be a D1 game like Iowa St so we can get paid.  So unless those teams want to come to SDSU every year it is going to be hard to schedule them for FB b/c they also want us to go to their house.  So those non-conference games will not be big time games b/c the good teams will not want to come to SDSU and potentially lose.  And I do not feel we should go to USD and help them out with their home schedule when we had to bust our ass and schedule NAIA and DIII teams.  Let them suffer.
                        I believe that SDSU doesn't suffer from Montana (or MT St.) disease. We can be quite content with 5 home games + 1 BCS $$$$ game each year. This will allow us to do home-n-home's with teams. The days of 2-4-1 with gateway membership is likely done. :P

Comment

The nonconference rivalry games I can think of are Colorado St. and Colorado (played at Invesco Field in Denver), New Mexico and New Mexico State, UNLV and Nevada Reno.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                            I'll take the California teams over USD any day.  And from the sounds of it Fred will too.  I don't seeing USD on the schedule for a while, UNLESS some senator or representative decides they have to b!tch about us not playing them.  Not that I mind USD, just would rather see better competition.
                            I agree, and I think we have developed pretty good relationships with the Calf teams. It would be a nice trip for the team and since we are leaving the Great West, it would be nice to keep those relationships and help them out with their scheduling also. The Calf teams would be better games for now. Plus I would rather play them than USD...

Comment

USC vs. Notre Dame

Many Notre DAme - they aren't in a conference though.

Florida/Florida state

Comment

Working...
                              X