Defensive Line in 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive Line in 2007

I guess I'm most excited about the unheralded position of Defensive Line as we return all 4 starters and have some wonderful depth and talent behind them.

Projected Starters-Bonwell,Schroeder,Pontrelli,Batten
    Remaining Defensive Lineman
    Dei,Bazata,Nobiling, Sheehan,Thompson,J Crumley,Pfeiffer,Herman,Basham,Fischer
    True Freshman and likely redshirted
    Kirwan,Wood

Re: Defensive Line in 2007

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
    I guess I'm most excited about the unheralded position of Defensive Line as we return all 4 starters and have some wonderful depth and talent behind them.

Kirwan,Wood
    These guys are going to help make for some long afternoons/evenings for opposing RB's and QB's. Lets see Youngstown St. run the ball against these guys. We need a couple of LBs to step up and this will be a great defense.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Schroeder is just flat out a stud, wouldn't be suprised to see him in the NFL.  

Batten is one of the few recruits that hasn't been redshirted by Stig.  That tells about what kind of talent he has.  

Pontrelli will be in his fourth year of starting.  He'll be a leader of the defense.

Bonwell is no slouch, former Marine.

These guys will definetly be the strength of the defense.

Linebackers will be Kubesh, Hoogeven for sure.  But I think its up in the air after that.  Probably Isiah Jackson or Chris Johnson. JackMD is right,.  Stopping the run is going to depend on the effectiveness of our linebacking core.  If the linebackers can consitently stop the rush, the linemen can concentrate on getting to the QB.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
        Schroeder is just flat out a stud, wouldn't be suprised to see him in the NFL.  

Batten is one of the few recruits that hasn't been redshirted by Stig.  That tells about what kind of talent he has.  

Pontrelli will be in his fourth year of starting.  He'll be a leader of the defense.

Bonwell is no slouch, former Marine.

These guys will definetly be the strength of the defense.

Linebackers will be Kubesh, Hoogeven for sure.  But I think its up in the air after that.  Probably Isiah Jackson or Chris Johnson. JackMD is right,.  Stopping the run is going to depend on the effectiveness of our linebacking core.  If the linebackers can consitently stop the rush, the linemen can concentrate on getting to the QB.
        I had a chance to have a one on one conversation with Coach Stig in late August at the VB tourney. He told me then that a true freshman was going to start on defense. He said he really did not want to do that but with Hank Goff leaving the team and school, he had no other choice but to start Danny Batten, who did a great job. I concur we got some very soliid people on the D line, Schroeder especially. I was watching the Montana game on TV in Sioux Falls, and will never forget the one sack that Eric S made. He came out of no where to make the play. Apparently Montana kind thought he was a big guy who could not move and they did not have to waste a blocker on him. Wrong.
        ;D

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
          [quote author=JACKGUYII link=1172508077/0#0 date=1172508075]I guess I'm most excited about the unheralded position of Defensive Line as we return all 4 starters and have some wonderful depth and talent behind them.

Kirwan,Wood
          These guys are going to help make for some long afternoons/evenings for opposing RB's and QB's.  Lets see Youngstown St. run the ball against these guys.  We need a couple of LBs to step up and this will be a great defense.[/quote]

Good, runstopping LBs are directly linked to the strength of the D-line. It's amazing how good you can look as a LB if you're free to roam. It's much easier to stuff the run when you don't have to always get around a 300 pounder to get to the ball carrier.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
            Good, runstopping LBs are directly linked to the strength of the D-line.  It's amazing how good you can look as a LB if you're free to roam.  It's much easier to stuff the run when you don't have to always get around a 300 pounder to get to the ball carrier.
            Exactly, in addition, the pressure the D-line can put on the QB also allows a good run stopping safety/corner to "cheat" a little more on the run, especially against option teams like Youngstown St. is portended to be. I'm still anxious to see who will be the middle LB.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think the starting 4 will be Schroeder, Pontrelli, Batten and Nobiling (If his knee holds up) Pfeiffer and Hermann are no longer on the team. Sheehan will be tried at DT to back up Schroeder at 3. Thompson with his wrestling background may be moved inside also. They will be an extremely strong group with alot of pride and attitude to get the job done. Looking forward to watching them in action together. Also a group of young men that enjoy each other off the field. All of them are very much blue collar workers.

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!
              http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

I'm very anxious to see what Sheehan and Thompson can do. Sheehan was considered one of the top defensive lineman in the state of Minnesota his senior year and originally signed with Purdue. He spent his sophmore and junior years in Georgia where he made his mark. Thompson is flat out a guy who dominated on the mat and the football field. I think we are fortunate that he wanted to stay close to home as many thought he was major college material at either sport.

Comment

Originally posted by footballfan
                  I think the starting 4 will be Schroeder, Pontrelli, Batten and Nobiling (If his knee holds up) Pfeiffer and Hermann are no longer on the team. Sheehan will be tried at DT to back up Schroeder at 3. Thompson with his wrestling background may be moved inside also. They will be an extremely strong group with alot of pride and attitude to get the job done. Looking forward to watching them in action together. Also a group of young men that enjoy each other off the field. All of them are very much blue collar workers.

Go Jacks  !!!!!!!!
                  Is anyone else who was on the 2006 roster not expected back?

Comment

I think the biggest key to the success of the DL is staying healthy and the back-up's Sheehan, Bazata, Crumley, Fischer, Thompson and Basham stepping up to the plate and filling in to give the starters a few plays off.

Go Jacks !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by footballfan
                      I think the biggest key to the success of the DL is staying healthy and the back-up's Sheehan, Bazata, Crumley, Fischer, Thompson and Basham stepping up to the plate and filling in to give the starters a few plays off.

Go Jacks  !!!!!
                      FBallFAn-
                      I see you didn't mention Bonwell in your projection for starters, or in this list of reserves. What is the story for him for next year, he seemed to perform well at times last year.
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I think Jason Bonwell will be a very important part of the DL this year. He played very well last year, I just think if Jason Nobiling's knee holds up he will be the starter, Nobiling is 6'6", long arms and fast. Bonwell is an excellent player,but next year I think he may be a back-up. He is a great guy.

Go Jacks !!!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sheehan start more this year. Still a freshmen, he got a medical redshirt for a broken foot. Looking Forward to what he can do for us.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sheehan start more this year. Still a freshmen, he got a medical redshirt for a broken foot. Looking Forward to what he can do for us.
                            Sheehan has got all the tools, with a year with the likes of Nate Moe, he'll be real tough next fall. Of all the success of the football team, I think alot of credit goes to the wonderful job our strength and conditioning staff led by Coach Moe is doing with not only our football team, but the rest of our athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                              I wouldn't be surprised to see Sheehan start more this year.  Still a freshmen, he got a medical redshirt for a broken foot.  Looking Forward to what he can do for us.
                              http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recru...6season%3d2006

Evaluation: Sheehan is a player you feel good about going to battle for you in the trenches. His hustle, technique, and smarts are going to put him in positions to make plays and not get you killed. He has a good get off and really uses nice footwork to allow himself to get into the gap and cause penetration. He uses his hands very well to create separation, shed, and keep blockers off of his legs. He can hold his own at the point of attack and secure his gap, but can be pushed off the ball if he allows blockers to get under his pads. He has good diagnose skills, pursues well, and is a strong tackler. He has good feet and can navigate in traffic to make plays between the tackles. He plays with a very good motor, stays active, and is always working to free himself. He is a good pass rusher that can position himself to get to half a man and get a push to the quarterback. He can get into the gap and execute a move and will also put pressure on the quarterback at times on effort alone. He has very nice size and a great frame to continue to pack on additional weight. Sheehan has the tools to become a very good defensive tackle at the college level.
                              Bluehat is correct.  Sheehan should see a lot of playing time.
                              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                              X