kardoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kardoes

Its official Kardoes is going to play for augie next year. Thats exciting news and I wish him the best.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Re: kardoes

This has been reported on two other threads and doesn't need a 3rd.

Comment

Wasn't there talk of Watson also going to augie? did he have a year of eligiblity left at D-2? Or is he still thinking CFL?
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

watson has no eligibility left. He played his 4 years out.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
          watson has no eligibility left.  He played his 4 years out.
          I didn't think he did but people were talking about it. Hope he makes the CFL or what ever he persues.

Comment

Has Andy grauduated last fall or will he this spring?
            Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

I have heard that Andy will not be playing for Augie this year after all.

Student Athletes can't receive scholarship for more than 10 semesters, and Andy has his 10, so he would have to pay for school to play for Augie.

"The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
                I have heard that Andy will not be playing for Augie this year after all.  

Student Athletes can't receive scholarship for more than 10 semesters, and Andy has his 10, so he would have to pay for school to play for Augie.
                Being the rookie, I'll defer to the other Moderators about whether the lack of attribution rule should be enforced.  I think EQguy's comment may be okay because it's about an athlete who has used all of his eligibility at SDSU...we're not speculating on whether he's going to be on the team or off (would be nice to be able to entertain the possibility he had another year left!).  The topic is also more of a broad issue:  Under what circumstances can a scholarship be awarded to an athlete who has used his eligibility at a DI institution but desires to transfer to a DII or DIII institution at which he still has eligibility remaining under DII or DIII rules?

I had thought even Augie publicly said Kardoes was going to be a Viking.  I did not know whether financial aid was part of the decision (but, makes sense: Augie is expensive).  

I took a quick look at the NCAA Division II Manual.  Here's the link to the pdf version:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/membersh..._d2_manual.pdf

Rule 15.01.05 (on page 145 of the Manual), provides, in part, “…the student-athlete may be granted athletically related financial aid.  If these regulations are met, the student-athlete may be granted athletically related financial aid for a maximum of 10 semesters/15 quarters.  Any institutional financial aid provided after 10 semesters/15 quarters, is left to the discretion of the institution consistent with institutional policies for awarding financial aid in general."

The DI Manual has slightly different rules but I think the rules applicable to Augie, a DII institution, would be the ones that apply.

I'm not sure I get the point about additional aid being left to the discretion of the institution consistent with instutional policies.  While I'm not going to think about it very long, it occurred to me that an example of such discretionary aid might be this (let me emphasize, this is a hypothetical example as I try to make sense out of the rule):  Augie may have a policy of awarding $$$ to a student who is in his/her last year of school and has a 4.0 gpa.  The fact that the student is an athlete shouldn't disqualify them from the scholarship which would otherwise be awarded---it's not linked to athletics.  

I felt a little disappointment when I heard Kardoes was going to go out as a Viking.  At the same time, I wished him all the success in the world...he was an inspiration this past season for the Jacks...if he wanted to play one more semester of football, then I thought "go for it, Andy".

It'll be interesting to see whether there is substance to what EQguy heard.

Comment

If I remember correctly, Kardoes isn't practicing this spring because he's not a full-time student. I'm guessing that he is NOT on scholarship anywhere. If that is the case, then he's likely been on scholarship for 9 semesters.......

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
                    If I remember correctly, Kardoes isn't practicing this spring because he's not a full-time student. I'm guessing that he is NOT on scholarship anywhere. If that is the case, then he's likely been on scholarship for 9 semesters.......
                    The Argus reported that Andy is not able to participate in Spring football because of his enrollment status (I don't remember if it was because he wasn't full time, or if he wasn't at least part time).

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I recall seeing reports he was not participating in Spring football but it had something to do with enrollment, number of classes etc.  EQguy is reporting he is not going to be playing next fall for Augie--EQguy says "this year" but I take it to mean the 2007 season.  ESPN has some pages linking Kardoes with Augustana...this one is particularly funny: Great West stats for 2006 now show Kardoes, Augustana SD:  http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/confst...pos=&lite=

Here's another ESPN page showing Kardoes as QB for Augustana:
                      http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=158873

Of course, neither of those links are proof of whether Kardoes is going to be playing next fall.

EQguy: what's your source?

Comment

Not sure if this is how it works with Andy, but I graduated college with one semester of eligibility remaining due to a hardship year and a redshirt year. If I had decided to return for my 6th season, I would have had to sit out of any football activities during that last spring (semester before my 6th season). I would have been going to school on my own dime. Starting that fall, I would have been back on the team and back on scholarship as it would have been my 10th semester. As a graduate, I wouldn't have needed to maintain the classload as I had to prior to graduation. I'm foggy on the particulars of my classload because I had made my decision prior to my 5th fall to graduate with my classmates so I really didn't get into it too deeply.

I assume that's what's happening with Andy. He's at Augie on his own dime this semester with next semester being covered by a scholie or partial scholie. That is, if he indeed plans to play next year.

Muddle the water further or clear it up with my info? Your call.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                           He's at Augie on his own dime this semester with next semester being covered by a scholie or partial scholie.  That is, if he indeed plans to play next year.
                          This is my understanding but I don't have the access to people that EQ does. He may have more recent info that changes what I understood/understand regarding Andy.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Good Luck Kardoes! I hope he has a great season.

Comment

EQguy: what's your source?
                              I ran into Andy at Cubby's last night
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                              X