This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pride won't play at November games?

Just getting bored and ready for football season. Hope my math is right......

113 days until kick-off at WIU

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!
    http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Re: 2007 Football Season Countdown

http://www.coachstig.com/jstig/media.aspx

Here's some pics of the players in the weight room and at a clinic in souix falls this year.
    Anyone know anything about Matt Eberspacher? He's in one of the photos, but not listed on the roster.

Comment

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1178921761]This Thread[/link]
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The Pride is not intending on playing any of the November games, including the big NDSU game. Send all mail to James McKinney for dropping the ball on the biggest game of the year and not playing the NDSU game.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue
          The Pride is not intending on playing any of the November games, including the big NDSU game.  Send all mail to James McKinney for dropping the ball on the biggest game of the year and not playing the NDSU game.
          That just makes more room for students/fans in a prime seating area. Not entirely a bad thing if McKinney is going to choose to not play. I'd say his band members are the ones losing out the most since they won't get to sit where they usually do. I'd gladly sit where they sit for a game like this!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
            [quote author=Blue link=1178718119/0#4 date=1179264110]The Pride is not intending on playing any of the November games, including the big NDSU game.  Send all mail to James McKinney for dropping the ball on the biggest game of the year and not playing the NDSU game.
            That just makes more room for students/fans in a prime seating area.  Not entirely a bad thing if McKinney is going to choose to not play.  I'd say his band members are the ones losing out the most since they won't get to sit where they usually do.  I'd gladly sit where they sit for a game like this![/quote]

That's a poor decision on McKinney's part. The band is an intergral part of any college football experience.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I remember in high school playing in the band at football games and its fun when its nice out but when its cold it's a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                [quote author=BTownJack link=1178718119/0#5 date=1179266595][quote author=Blue link=1178718119/0#4 date=1179264110]The Pride is not intending on playing any of the November games, including the big NDSU game.  Send all mail to James McKinney for dropping the ball on the biggest game of the year and not playing the NDSU game.
                That just makes more room for students/fans in a prime seating area.  Not entirely a bad thing if McKinney is going to choose to not play.  I'd say his band members are the ones losing out the most since they won't get to sit where they usually do.  I'd gladly sit where they sit for a game like this![/quote]

That's a poor decision on McKinney's part.  The band is an intergral part of any college football experience.[/quote]

I agree it is a poor decision. I think I will ask for my donation to the Pride back or I will ask to have it directed else where.
                We...ARE...STATE!
                SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by D-town
                  [quote author=2002jack link=1178718119/0#6 date=1179269011][quote author=BTownJack link=1178718119/0#5 date=1179266595][quote author=Blue link=1178718119/0#4 date=1179264110]The Pride is not intending on playing any of the November games, including the big NDSU game.  Send all mail to James McKinney for dropping the ball on the biggest game of the year and not playing the NDSU game.

That's a poor decision on McKinney's part.  The band is an intergral part of any college football experience.[/quote]

I agree it is a poor decision.  I think I will ask for my donation to the Pride back or I will ask to have it directed else where.
                  [/quote]

I would have to agree that this is a bad decision by Professor McKinney.  I believe this kind of thing has been going on for a while now, and it is time for President Chicone to step in.  
                  According to people close to the situation, there has apparently always been the attitude from McKinney that most of the fans at the football games are there to only see The Pride...I wonder if he will still have that view after 17K people show up for this game in November and the Pride is not there.

I personnaly love The Pride of the Dakota's and think that it is one of the best things SDSU has going for it right now, but these decisions of showing up to whatever games Professor McKinney feels neccessary is enough.  
                  And believe me, the 17K people that show up fo the SDSU/NDSU game are going to be there come Hell, snow, -10 degrees farhenheit or high water.  And they are especially going to be there even if the Pride of the Dakota's are not.

Go Jacks!!
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I have no knowledge of the background facts that go into the decisions on when the Pride appears and when it does not. It seems to me that before people get a little critical of the band's director, they have to gain some understanding of what it takes for the band to appear and perform. There's a tendency by those of us who do not miss a football game to expect the band to be present. People in the band or the director of the band have a life outside of football (and outside of playing in the band). I suppose it is possible some are not huge football fans and there's nothing wrong with that.

With November weather being unreliable, I can appreciate a band's reluctance to commit for an appearance. I certainly would miss them appearing at the NDSU game and I hope something can be worked out with the athletic department.

When the Pride performs at a home game, are the members paid? I once heard that the band which plays at Frost Arena for basketball games is paid but I do not know if that is accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                      When the Pride performs at a home game, are the members paid?  I once heard that the band which plays at Frost Arena for basketball games is paid but I do not know if that is accurate.  
                      Do athletes at SDSU get paid to perform, no. I don't see much difference between them and the band members. So I sure hope they don't get paid.

If the Pride is going to be a part of an organiation like the Pride, then they should be held accountable for showing up at events like a football game, regardless of what time of the year.

How would we feel if one our basketall or football players, or a whole team for that matter just didn't show up for a game. I may be making a stretch comparison between an athletic team and the band but when looking at SDSU as a whole, I see many similarities between them.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                        [quote author=JackJD link=1178718119/0#10 date=1179330759]
                        When the Pride performs at a home game, are the members paid?  I once heard that the band which plays at Frost Arena for basketball games is paid but I do not know if that is accurate.  
                        Do athletes at SDSU get paid to perform, no.  I don't see much difference between them and the band members.  So I sure hope they don't get paid.  

If the Pride is going to be a part of an organiation like the Pride, then they should be held accountable for showing up at events like a football game, regardless of what time of the year.  

How would we feel if one our basketall or football players, or a whole team for that matter just didn't show up for a game.  I may be making a stretch comparison between an athletic team and the band but when looking at SDSU as a whole, I see many similarities between them.  [/quote]

B-TownJ, I think what JD is asking is "are they paid", not "should they be paid"??
                        I would certainly hope not. I do believe a lot of them are on schlorships though, so by that alone, they should be at the football games whenever possible, in my humble opinion.
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Members of the Pride do not get paid... but yes the members in the pep band do, the are paid by the athletic department. Seniors in the Pride do receive a scholarship their senior year and the amount depends on how many years they were in it.. One year gets $100, two years $200, three is $300 and all four years you get $500. You get it your forth year even if you still have another year or whatever. Do I want the band to be at the NDSU game, Yes. But I also understand that this year will take a lot of work and commitment by it members, remember they are going to the Rose Parade again and they need to practice for that.. If I was the director they would be at every game, but then the band would be a lot smaller then what it is. McKinney does a great job at keeping band fun for the students and he knows that if you over work them then they won't return, then we would have a band full of freshmen every year, and that would not be good. I hope McKinney changes is mind and plays at the NDSU game, they can take the SUU game off because I can't make that game anyway.
                          Go State! Go State!

Comment

Do you think that the Michigan and Ohio State bands are going to sit out their big game just because it's on Nov. 17?

Playing rivalry games (and developing a corresponding atmosphere-which the Pride is a vital part of) at the end of the season are a part of the transition to D-I. This transition is an institutional one, not just a move for the athletic department. As inconvenient as it may be, playing at the NDSU game (barring completely unsafe conditions) is vital for the Pride to maintain and enhance its image as one the top college marching bands in the region.

Comment

I can understand if the band doesn't play every game, but I would think if there were two games that the Pride must be at is at Hobo Days and versus our rival NDSU.

Comment

Working...
                              X