Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing USD again (football)

Originally posted by 2002jack
    [quote author=EQguy link=1173237792/30#34 date=1173309713][quote author=1bunnies link=1173237792/30#30 date=1173305211]The good news is that in reality we may not have to play usd or und at all. Best news I've had all day. Our 3 OOC games will be a money game, and then games with SUU and the California schools.
    I would expect a focus would be made to play against Texas/Southland teams also.  That area has been a recruiting focus also.[/quote]

Agreed.  We only have 3 OOC games.  One money game against a BCS team leaves us only two games remaining.  One at home, one on the road.  It would be a mistake to travel to California every year.  I think we will be taking trips to Texas, Georgia, and maybe even New England.  We need to get our name out there.[/quote]

I am not following this line of thinking?  I understand recruiting to some extent, but the only way to get our name out is to make the playoffs and beat teams from other regions of the country.  It is fine to play games occasionally in other parts of the country (California, Texas, Georgia etc).  Remember our main focus will be to recruit the Midwest.  This is the area we need to excel at.  The more recruits we win locally (Midwest) the easier it will be to recruit the occasional student-athlete from southern/ western states.

I do not follow this line of thinking with alumni either.  Sure it is nice to have small gathering in California so SDSU can do some "friend raising".  It is also good to expose the team and coaches to other styles of football.  But the vast majority of alumni live in South Dakota and the Midwest.  These are the ones that join the Jackrabbit Club, buy season tickets and participate in other special events designed to raise money such as March Fan Fest, Stan Marshall, Festival of Champions etc.

I believe the “Diehards” on this board represent the "vocal minority" when it comes to playing USD.  I truly believe the "silent majority" want to see this rivalry restarted and played every year.  I understand the logistics may not always be in the rivalry's favor, but playing each other is some sports every year is very doable, even doable starting next year.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Gateway Announcement!  

Originally posted by D-town
    [quote author=2002jack link=1173237792/30#42 date=1173318365][quote author=EQguy link=1173237792/30#34 date=1173309713][quote author=1bunnies link=1173237792/30#30 date=1173305211]The good news is that in reality we may not have to play usd or und at all. Best news I've had all day. Our 3 OOC games will be a money game, and then games with SUU and the California schools.
    I would expect a focus would be made to play against Texas/Southland teams also. That area has been a recruiting focus also.[/quote]

Agreed. We only have 3 OOC games. One money game against a BCS team leaves us only two games remaining. One at home, one on the road. It would be a mistake to travel to California every year. I think we will be taking trips to Texas, Georgia, and maybe even New England. We need to get our name out there.[/quote]

I am not following this line of thinking? I understand recruiting to some extent, but the only way to get our name out is to make the playoffs and beat teams from other regions of the country. It is fine to play games occasionally in other parts of the country (California, Texas, Georgia etc). Remember our main focus will be to recruit the Midwest. This is the area we need to excel at. The more recruits we win locally (Midwest) the easier it will be to recruit the occasional student-athlete from southern/ western states.

I do not follow this line of thinking with alumni either. Sure it is nice to have small gathering in California so SDSU can do some "friend raising". It is also good to expose the team and coaches to other styles of football. But the vast majority of alumni live in South Dakota and the Midwest. These are the ones that join the Jackrabbit Club, buy season tickets and participate in other special events designed to raise money such as March Fan Fest, Stan Marshall, Festival of Champions etc.

I believe the “Diehards” on this board represent the "vocal minority" when it comes to playing USD. I truly believe the "silent majority" want to see this rivalry restarted and played every year. I understand the logistics may not always be in the rivalry's favor, but playing each other is some sports every year is very doable, even doable starting next year.
    [/quote]

Spend some time in Brookings and see whether you see a groundswell of interest in the USD rivalry. (Hint: You won't.)
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
      [quote author=Jacks02 link=1173237792/45#48 date=1173368858]As disappointed as I was when Chris Solari left the Argus Leader, I am so much more thankful now to have Terry Vandrovec.

Always has very informative articles and works his tail off to get all the information, quotes, etc. for a great story.

Thanks once again Terry!
      Chris still lurks here from time to time . . . [/quote]

I'm sorry if that came across someway as putting down Solari, that wasn't my intent by any means. Chris was awesome while he was here, in my opinion Terry has just taken it to another level with all of his live blogs, player profiles, etc.

Comment

I happen to spend a lot of time in Brookings (I live/go to school here) and I know A LOT of people who want to play USD again... The NDSU thing is great, I've got a lot of friends from up there and its a good 'friendly' rivalry, but a bunch of jacks fans I know (including me) want to see us play the U again (so we can put them in their place, if ya know what i mean). I'm not saying right away next year, wait until it will do us some good playoff wise, but the state-u rivalry is just too good to give up forever.

I definitely agree that there is a 'silent majority' out there that want that rivalry back, me being part of it until this post... Cool forum you guys got here, now I'm gonna become addicted to it like everyone else I'm guessing

Comment

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1173569988]This Thread[/link]
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If USD proves there are competant enough to compete the move we will play them again. That is a big if. If this happens the rivalry will be renewed, but let's use this metaphor.

SDSU=Michigan
            USD=Michigan State
            NDSU=Ohio State

Michigan measures itself on the Ohio State game which is played the last weekend of the season, just like the Dakota Marker Game. Due NDSU having a great FB program and very good MBB, they will be the team we use as our measuring stick. Sure all of us Jackrabbits hate USD, but that is all that rivalry is made of, hatred. The NDSU games will have much more at stake (conference championships, NCAA Basketball tournament berths, recruiting advantages in the region)
            Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1173570634]This Thread[/link]
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Of course SDSU and USD should renew their rivalry on the field. It might not be practical or even possible to restart the rivalry for few years, but that's the game that casual fans and political leaders will want and reasonably expect. NDSU might become the Jacks' best and most consistent rival in the Gateway,  but beating down the Coyotes every now and then will be good for the home-state image. Besides, I assume the Jacks would get no less than two home games for one road trip against the Coyotes, who probably are heading to some serious down time, schedule-wise and recruiting-wise.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Playing USD again (football)

I'm creating a new topic to contain discussion regarding any future SDSU-USD football game.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

[/quote]

Spend some time in Brookings and see whether you see a groundswell of interest in the USD rivalry. (Hint: You won't.) [/quote]

I happen to live in Brookings and I have for most of my life.  There are plenty of people that used to be season ticket holders during the NCC days that currently do not buy season tickets and do not attend games anymore.  They now do other things.  There are also current season ticket holders that will tell you their fondest SDSU memories were games versus USD (and Augie for that matter).  

My guess every restaurant would love to see the game.  It would be great for the entire business community in Brookings.  This game has instant hype and would have a state wide following.  It would be as big if not bigger that NDSU.  If the game were played all the "haters" were attend the game and it would bring back some of the old following and reestablish relationships  ($$) with them.  This game is special, the atmosphere would be electric and the players deserve to play in it. THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA DESERVES IT.   The Brookings Business Community deserves it.

Changing the subject a little here.  Does anyone know how much an SDSU football game brings in revenue?  Hobo Day, Beef Bowl etc.
                    We...ARE...STATE!
                    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Re: Playing USD again (football)

I think we shouldn't play USD for a while. They didn't want to move up until they saw the sucess we are having in D1. We paved the way for them ex. Great West Football conference. Let USD sweat a little bit before we play them, and when we do play them make them come to Brookings.

Comment

If SDSU and the community of Brookings has to rely on a usd game in town to see amounts of money they've never seen before, then both have some major problems. A usd game is not going to make or break either SDSU's or Brookings' coffers for the year. State will play the U again, but it is not going to because the money and the attendance is extraordinary. I was at the last two State/U games, neither set attendance records. People did not come out in droves to see the cherished rivarly. Any desire to see the rivarly today is probably based on the novelty of the affair.

Comment

The only way it will bing in lots of fans is if the game means a lot. Case in point NDSU vs. SDSU last year in Fargo set an record for attendance. Sure rivalrys will increase turnout a little bit but if it is a Confrence Champion that is decided it will have great attendance.

Comment

I think it was interesting to see some of the California response when the hatred (mostly UND/NDSU) spilled over into the GWFC boards. People from other states just can't comprehend. Neither can I. It's certainly bad for the future in both states. In more ways than athletics.

Having said that I agree that the rivalry is probably permanently crippled-- very, very sad IMHO.

Comment

The rivarly was crippled long before the transition to D-I. SDSU pretty much dominating the series during the past 10-15 years. "The big game" lost its excitement a long, long time ago. "1986" being the last, truly big game with a attendance record.

Comment

Working...
                              X