New Tailgating Policy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tailgating Policy?

Has anyone heard if there is going to be a new tailgating policy this year where the Backyard doesn't open until two hours prior to kickoff for night games? I just received a call from an angry season ticket holder who said he had heard they were cutting down the amount of time that could be spent in the backyard prior to games this year.

I haven't heard anything like this before this morning so I thought I'd throw the question out there to see if anyone else has heard of this?

Go State!!
    “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Re: New Tailgating Policy?

From SDSUFANS.com

SDSU changes tailgating policy
    Tuesday, July 31 2007 @ 09:33 AM CDT
    Contributed by: filbert
    Views: 1
    SDSU Sports Information:

Tailgating at South Dakota State University will undergo some changes during the upcoming 2007 football season, university officials announced Tuesday.

The most noticeable change will be the hours during which "The Backyard" located directly north of Coughlin-Alumni Stadium will be open. For night games, "The Backyard" will open five hours prior to scheduled kickoff. For afternoon games, the tailgating area will open three hours prior to scheduled kickoff. In both cases, the tailgating lot will be closed one-half hour before kickoff. Vehicles may remain in the tailgating area during the game, but the area will remain closed for tailgating activities throughout the game and after the game.

Single-game tailgating reservations will be accepted at the Jackrabbit Ticket Office beginning Wednesday (Aug. 1). Prices are $50 for a 30-foot by 25-foot lot, $75 for a 30-foot by 50-foot lot and $150 for a 60-foot by 50-foot location. Reservations for both full-season and single-game tailgating spaces can be made in person weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., or by calling 1-866-GO JACKS.

I personally think it is a great idea. The backyard was not intended as a place on campus for people to drink outdoors. It was meant as a gathering/celebration area prior to attending football games.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
      From SDSUFANS.com

SDSU Sports Information:

Tailgating at South Dakota State University will undergo some changes during the upcoming 2007 football season, university officials announced Tuesday.

The most noticeable change will be the hours during which "The Backyard" located directly north of Coughlin-Alumni Stadium will be open. For night games, "The Backyard" will open five hours prior to scheduled kickoff. For afternoon games, the tailgating area will open three hours prior to scheduled kickoff. In both cases, the tailgating lot will be closed one-half hour before kickoff. Vehicles may remain in the tailgating area during the game, but the area will remain closed for tailgating activities throughout the game and after the game.

Single-game tailgating reservations will be accepted at the Jackrabbit Ticket Office beginning Wednesday (Aug. 1). Prices are $50 for a 30-foot by 25-foot lot, $75 for a 30-foot by 50-foot lot and $150 for a 60-foot by 50-foot location. Reservations for both full-season and single-game tailgating spaces can be made in person weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., or by calling 1-866-GO JACKS.

I personally think it is a great idea.  The backyard was not intended as a place on campus for people to drink outdoors.  It was meant as a gathering/celebration area prior to attending football games.
      Thanks EQ!
      “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy
        From SDSUFANS.com

SDSU Sports Information:

I personally think it is a great idea.  The backyard was not intended as a place on campus for people to drink outdoors.  It was meant as a gathering/celebration area prior to attending football games.

I have no problem with this what-so-ever after I thought about it for a while.

1.)  It gets people, especially the tailgating students into the game and keeps them in the game.
             Example:  There was anywhere from 1k to 2K students and fans that didn't even enter CAS last year at HOBO DAYS.  Considering the students get in for free(through the $$ for their activity fees, I know )....ridicoulous!   If all of them would have even made the effort to walk through the turnstiles, we would have had an attendance record set last year at HOBO DAYS vs. Davis.
        2.)  It takes some liabilty off the athletic department, considering the way some fans tend to "over-enduldge".  One bad accident or death....tailgating is DONE!
        3.)  It should create more of a "family" atmosphere, in in the long run more "every-day" fans that have been missing since the D-I move, will hopefully tailgate and go to the fb games next year.

I for one can hardly wait to get to my tailgating spot at 2:00 pm on Sept. 15th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Jacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Then sell beer at the games....that's all they would need to do to get more people in

Comment

Opinions about this are going to be split between those who attend to see the game and those who are there to party. Its a policy change that needed to take place, IMO.

Having the lot open 5 hours before evening games gives everyone plenty of time to experience tailgating. Those who want to get bombed and then head home can still do that they just can't keep drinking during the game, which is why they were suppose to be there in the first place. I don't think its going to solve anything for the Brookings PD but it will take some liability away from SDSU.

Could be some interesting behavior around Brookings about the time the game kicks off. Not sure what to think about selling beer at the games. Liability issues, law enforcement costs, etc.. could probably be covered with profits from beer sales. Then, of course, there is the "moral" issue.

I'll have no trouble adapting to the new policy although I did enjoy an occasional half-time beverage in the tailgate lot the last couple of years.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]Good Move Athletic Department. Was just talking about this idea last night with one of the football players and he said he wished more fans would get their lazy a$$es outta the tailgate area and take in the game. Actually the Brookings PD doesn't patrol the tailgate area, UPD does that.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
                Then sell beer at the games....that's all they would need to do to get more people in
                This won't ever happen and let's not turn this thread into that argument. It has been discussed before. Let's just feel fortunate we can tailgate where we can now considering it is on campus. Let's not discuss why other schools (like Creighton basketball) get to serve beer at their games and why others don't. It is ultimately up to the university and I don't foresee our administration allowing the sale of beer at games anytime soon.

I for one like the policy change. There is still plenty of time before kick-off to have some adult beverages and this will hopefully create a better atmosphere during the game by getting people to actually come in and watch.

I'm with JackMD though...it would be nice to be able to go out and have a cold one during half-time. I can live without being able to do that though.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue
                  Actually the Brookings PD doesn't patrol the tailgate area, UPD does that.
                  Exactly, and when they close the tailgate lot 1/2 hour before the game, those who don't want to go will be forced to leave the backyard and most likely leave campus and become the Brooking's PDs problem. I guess we will see.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Great Move!

Comment

Here's my plans...

1)Sneak in a flask of JD
                      2)Buy a Coke.
                      3)Mix JD with Coke
                      4)Drink concotion
                      5)Cheer for the Rabbits
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                        [quote author=SDSUJack3031 link=1185900340/0#4 date=1185903500]Then sell beer at the games....that's all they would need to do to get more people in
                        This won't ever happen and let's not turn this thread into that argument.  It has been discussed before.  Let's just feel fortunate we can tailgate where we can now considering it is on campus.  Let's not discuss why other schools (like Creighton basketball) get to serve beer at their games and why others don't.  It is ultimately up to the university and I don't foresee our administration allowing the sale of beer at games anytime soon.  

I for one like the policy change.  There is still plenty of time before kick-off to have some adult beverages and this will hopefully create a better atmosphere during the game by getting people to actually come in and watch.  

I'm with JackMD though...it would be nice to be able to go out and have a cold one during half-time.  I can live without being able to do that though.[/quote]

Hopefully the athletic department does not let people leave and come back in. This may be a reason half-time is not an option. Also a lot of fans watch the Pride and then go drink in the backyard the rest of the game.
                        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                          Here's my plans...

1)Sneak in a flask of JD
                          2)Buy a Coke.  
                          3)Mix JD with Coke
                          4)Drink concotion
                          5)Cheer for the Rabbits
                          FYI, You may want to add "head to bathroom stall for mixing drink". Then you are not out in the open. Just a thought. Good Luck!
                          We...ARE...STATE!
                          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I think the administration wanted to act responsible before something bad did happen. The purpose of tailgating is to socialize before the game. Setting stiffer limits is not going to stop the socialization part. The tailgate function should not be a permit to party and abuse alchohol especially during the game. Safety and being able to controll gatherings on campus does fall on the Campus Police. When people who have had too much to drink, drive 10 feet they become everyone's party. Not only that but their mind has slowed down to allow an annoying personality to creep out and be a pain in the rear to all that are around these people.

I too realize people have paid money for the tailgate space, which is a good thing for SDSU athletics, but again there are responsibilities that have to be met.

I think it is really conterproductive to have the backyard full of fans and students during the game. It does not take 5 to 6 hours to eat tailgate food, but I suppose a great deal of the legal drug alchohol can be consumed in five and six hours. In those case, these people become a pain in the rear for other people and for the police. Why do the fans come in the first place?

Its a policy that will work. I am glad to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                              Here's my plans...

1)Sneak in a flask of JD
                              2)Buy a Coke.  
                              3)Mix JD with Coke
                              4)Drink concotion
                              5)Cheer for the Rabbits
                              Old school!!!!!!

Very nice! That way the kids can watch The Pride and daddy can have a
                              Jack-rabbit coke!

Good idea for the tailgate area, should make it a much more family friendly environment which is very important!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X